Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    A little different but he won't be back next year..
    Cory Curtis Gannon QB has forgone last season of eligibility
    to declare for the NFL draft.
    That seems optimistic to say the least given the history of D2 QBs in the draft (as Matt Burgland has highlighted in past during discussion of Bagent’s draft potential) combined with his stats, age (redshirt junior rather than true junior), and middling performance at FCS Bryant + against the best D2 teams he faced at Gannon. I wish him luck since even catching on as a backup might raise the profile of the conference but the odds seem incredibly long.
    Last edited by TheBigCat2192; 12-09-2022, 05:04 AM. Reason: Spacing issue

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

That seems optimistic to say the least given the history of D2
      QBs in the draft (as Matt Burgland has highlighted in past during discussion of Bagent’s draft potential) combined with his stats, age (redshirt junior rather than true junior), and middling performance at FCS Bryant + against the best D2 teams he faced at Gannon. I wish him luck since even catching on as a backup might raise the profile of the conference but the odds seem incredibly long.
      Bagent will likely get drafted. Or, at the bare minimum, get a FA invite to an NFL camp.

Curtis won't be drafted. I'd be shocked if he even gets in to a camp. Not knocking him, but, well, it's not easy to get drafted or get a camp invite. If that was the intention, he should have tried to grad transfer back up a level and play his final year of eligibility.

That said, I could see him getting some looks and tryouts with the non-NFL pro leagues. He's got the right size and has a cannon. But, the PSAC bus leagues to Sunday is quite the jump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

I have been wondering the same thing.
        Understand they are really high on the red shirt freshman from McDevitt Lek Powell.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Bagent will likely get drafted. Or, at the bare minimum, get a FA invite to an NFL camp.

Curtis won't be drafted. I'd be shocked if he even gets in to a camp. Not knocking him, but, well, it's not easy to get drafted or get a camp invite. If that was the intention, he should have tried to grad transfer back up a level and play his final year of eligibility.

That said, I could see him getting some looks and tryouts with the non-NFL pro leagues. He's got the right size and has a cannon. But, the PSAC bus leagues to Sunday is quite the jump.
          I don’t know if I’d say Bagent is likely to get drafted. He may not have the RS in front of his class but he’s still a 5th year senior because of the lost COVID season so his age is against him. He’s also coming out of two of the weaker leagues in CFB’s third tier. If he lays an egg against Mines like he did against Ferris in last years semi I could see both team scouts and public draftniks souring on him because of performance against top tier competition. He’ll have a chance to show what he can do either way at the Senior Bowl but my guess would still be that he ends up a PFA or regular UFA rather than draftee.

Frankly if Bagent wanted to go pro he probably should have looked to go up to FCS either after balling out in 2019 or after winning the Harlon in 2021. He’d still be old in the latter scenario but he’d be playing against higher tier completion. It’s hard to get draft love if you’re both old and playing down.

Comment

I don’t know if I’d say Bagent is likely to get drafted. He may not have the RS in front of his class but he’s still a 5th year senior because of the lost COVID season so his age is against him. He’s also coming out of two of the weaker leagues in CFB’s third tier. If he lays an egg against Mines like he did against Ferris in last years semi I could see both team scouts and public draftniks souring on him because of performance against top tier competition. He’ll have a chance to show what he can do either way at the Senior Bowl but my guess would still be that he ends up a PFA or regular UFA rather than draftee.

Frankly if Bagent wanted to go pro he probably should have looked to go up to FCS either after balling out in 2019 or after winning the Harlon in 2021. He’d still be old in the latter scenario but he’d be playing against higher tier completion. It’s hard to get draft love if you’re both old and playing down.
            I think in a year Bagent will be the one playing football in a non-NFL pro league and Curtis will be applying for jobs within whatever his college major is.

Comment

I have to agree. Curtis has good size (6-4, 235) and clearly had the pedigree to get to Ohio State. However, to get looks as a D2 QB you must have size but also gonzo stats. Curtis had a great 2022 season but his overall career arc appears average: 55% completion, 233 YPG passing. Maybe he wants to try as a punter?

I wish Kory well - but his best next step should be trying to expend his eligibility by helping Gannon basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I have to agree. Curtis has good size (6-4, 235) and clearly had the pedigree to get to Ohio State. However, to get looks as a D2 QB you must have size but also gonzo stats. Curtis had a great 2022 season but his overall career arc appears average: 55% completion, 233 YPG passing. Maybe he wants to try as a punter?

I wish Kory well - but his best next step should be trying to expend his eligibility by helping Gannon basketball.
                That appears to be a lost cause. Never thought I'd see a GU team 0-6.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

I have been wondering the same thing.
                  I understand Shepherd coaches are pretty high on the rd shirt fresh Qb Powell

Comment

• Originally posted by Boro33 View Post

I understand Shepherd coaches are pretty high on the rd shirt fresh Qb Powell
                    They have good candidates currently on the roster between Powell and Sammy Roberts from Jefferson HS. Then who knows what might happen with the Bagent's younger brother if he decides to follow in the family footsteps to Shepherdstown as well.

Rams will be fine at QB, I doubt they go the transfer portal route for that position. If they can find a good tackle to replace Fisher, I think the Rams are going to be very good again next year. It's a young team overall if you look at all the pcs beyond Bagent and Fisher. DE Kyle Smith will be a big loss on defense as well, that would be the spot I'd assume the transfer portal will get the most focus.

Comment

• Cal - Mason Williams

Edinboro - Brendan Walls

West Chester - Cayden Hess, Oscar Uduma

Comment

• One of the more interesting transfer portal stories to me is Austin Reed. He was West Florida's QB last year and for the national title season in 2019. He transferred to Western Kentucky and seems like he beat out Jarret Doege. Doege started at WVU last season but transferred to Western Kentucky for this year. Doege left Western Kentucky in camp. Reed ended up throwing for over 4000 yds this year. 2nd in country. Now he's in portal again. No doubt looking for the P5 offer. And I'm sure will get one.

Took a risk and went and beat out a former P5 starting QB. Now he's most likely to be a P5 starter from D2.

Comment

That seems optimistic to say the least given the history of D2
                          QBs in the draft (as Matt Burgland has highlighted in past during discussion of Bagent’s draft potential) combined with his stats, age (redshirt junior rather than true junior), and middling performance at FCS Bryant + against the best D2 teams he faced at Gannon. I wish him luck since even catching on as a backup might raise the profile of the conference but the odds seem incredibly long.
                          Maybe so. I make no judgement but just mention as point of interest. I wish him the best of luck he'll need it but you never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
                            A little different but he won't be back next year..
                            Cory Curtis Gannon QB has forgone last season of eligibility
                            to declare for the NFL draft.
                            Hahahahahaha! That's funny!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Hahahahahaha! That's funny!
                              Is he the first PSAC football player (ever) to declare early for the NFL Draft?

Comment

Is he the first PSAC football player (ever) to declare early for the NFL Draft?
                                I don’t know that answer but if he’s not then the list isn’t very big. We both watched him play. Is he good, yes. Is he NFL ready good, no!

I’m not even sure Bagent is NFL good. Yes, records books, etc. but does he have the intangibles? I’m not sure. I think a guy like Trevor Harris seemed to be closer to the NFL than these guys.
                                Last edited by IUPalum; 12-09-2022, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X