Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Not surprising in Greensburg. SH is losing a ton due to graduation. They will likely be awful next year.
    They weren't this year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      PSAC players I've been told are in the portal:

Bloomsburg: Josh Snipes

East Stroudsburg: Raheem White

Edinboro: Daylen Henderson, Donnell Henderson, Micah Thomas

Kutztown: Jordan Fernandez

Lock Haven: Thomas Kaikai, Idrissa Nikiema

Mercyhurst: Ryan Fisher

Millersville: Teziah Howard

Seton Hill: Brian Caldwell, Alex Colcolmbe, Torbyn Eakins, Jake McCormick, Isaiah Powell-Major, Will Urquia

Shippensburg: Ian Sheehan

West Chester: Maurice Mazzucca
      Did the Henderson twins even get any run this year at Boro?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

They weren't this year?
        They at least had a pulse. At times.

Comment

Not surprising in Greensburg. SH is losing a ton due to graduation. They will likely be awful next year.
          Friend who works there said he heard "half the coaches" are not being renewed. If true, that will do it.

Comment

Friend who works there said he heard "half the coaches" are not being renewed. If true, that will do it.
            They certainly have a couple nice, poachable players.

Comment

They certainly have a couple nice, poachable players.
              I actually thought Seton Hill had made a little progress this season. They had a lousy record, but their defense played well at times and they weren't blown out a lot of game as they were in the past. But now it's likely back to square one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I actually thought Seton Hill had made a little progress this season. They had a lousy record, but their defense played well at times and they weren't blown out a lot of game as they were in the past. But now it's likely back to square one.
                Don’t forget that Seton Hill won 5 or 6 games last year and returned a bunch. I was expecting them to be a real problem to deal with this year for everyone but the offense regressed hard. This year has to be a big disappointment for them and now they have to deal with a huge hit from graduation and the portal. Make some progress…then start over

Comment

• Originally posted by CUlater View Post

Don’t forget that Seton Hill won 5 or 6 games last year and returned a bunch. I was expecting them to be a real problem to deal with this year for everyone but the offense regressed hard. This year has to be a big disappointment for them and now they have to deal with a huge hit from graduation and the portal. Make some progress…then start over
                  Yeah, that's about it. Clarion actually had a good performance against them this year. Ship put up some points on them, but that game was closer than it looked as a lot of Ship points were set up by the kick return game and turnovers.

Comment

• Slippery Rock - Basilio Jimenez, Israel Reed.

Also, fleas jumping from the flea circus at RMU.

Comment

Slippery Rock - Basilio Jimenez, Israel Reed.

Also, fleas jumping from the flea circus at RMU.
                      I'm sure they can't get out of Coraopolis fast enough.

Comment

I'm sure they can't get out of Coraopolis fast enough.
                        After an 0-11 year, I’d say the IUP, SRU, and even Cal U recruiters are going to be happy. I know it’s technically D1, but when you have very competitive D2 teams, I imagine most would think twice. The only other FCS teams near western PA are Duquesne and Saint Francis (who is having a good year).

If anyone has been to Loretto, I don’t know how you recruit players. The most interesting part of that town is the post office.

Duquesne is nice, especially if you like the city, but nothing special. The team is okay, but the field is so odd and there’s not a ton of support.

I know it’s been said before, but D2 in this area really is a great option if your goal is a good education and being on a winning team.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post

After an 0-11 year, I’d say the IUP, SRU, and even Cal U recruiters are going to be happy. I know it’s technically D1, but when you have very competitive D2 teams, I imagine most would think twice. The only other FCS teams near western PA are Duquesne and Saint Francis (who is having a good year).

If anyone has been to Loretto, I don’t know how you recruit players. The most interesting part of that town is the post office.

Duquesne is nice, especially if you like the city, but nothing special. The team is okay, but the field is so odd and there’s not a ton of support.

I know it’s been said before, but D2 in this area really is a great option if your goal is a good education and being on a winning team.

Well said. The constant fight is the lure of kids getting to Tweet they are a 'D1' player. IUP has a lost a lot of recruits to St. Francis, Duquesne and Robert Morris over the years.

Loretto in the winter might as well be The Overlook Hotel in The Shining.

But, as you alluded, those three programs are D1 in just about name only. The football game day atmosphere at all three is on par with Clarion. Basketball-wise, Robert Morris has a new arena (I'd say it's similar to the KCAC), Duquesne did a major renovation a few years back and Saint Francis is basically the Memorial Field House with some chairbacks.

Football-wise, IUP and SRU have way better game day atmospheres than all three of them (IUP's has improved dramatically the past couple years). Most high schools in the WPIAL draw bigger crowds than Robert Morris and Saint Francis. Duquesne probably gets a similar gate to most PSAC schools.

Money is obviously a big factor, too. I see some kids signing with those three and I know for certain they aren't getting anywhere near a full ride. So, how much are they taking out in loans (or paying) just to say they play in the bush leagues of D1? A lot. Better academic schools ... probably. How often is that actually the deciding factor?

Comment

• Something RMU struggled with in this most recent coaching regime was attracting WPIAL talent (the last two had Steelers Super Bowl rings to flaunt). Like others said, yeah, they were able to entice some kids with the allure of D1 - but RMU has a 4,000 seat one-sided stadium. Football is also clearly not top dog with the administration nor with students - when hockey returns football will fall to #3 with students. The current head coach had a special connection with the president who hired him (they played against each other in the 80s) but that president is now gone. Plus the location is not ideal to the kid they're typically recruiting: FBS cast-offs and JUCO recruits used to thriving college towns and Black kids from the DMV who are in culture shock in Moon Township along University Blvd. You can't walk anywhere without crossing 4-5 lanes of road if there's even a crosswalk. There's no easy transportation into the city. No community that embraces or even recognizes itself as hosting a university. No party scene.

But the roster is full of guys who probably should be D2 - because RMU should be D2. They're dying in the Big South and the university is struggling to pay the bills from upgrading conferences during Covid. There will be another exodus in a year when Clark is not renewed. He's at 13-34 over 4.5 seasons.

Comment

Well said. The constant fight is the lure of kids getting to Tweet they are a 'D1' player. IUP has a lost a lot of recruits to St. Francis, Duquesne and Robert Morris over the years.

Loretto in the winter might as well be The Overlook Hotel in The Shining.

But, as you alluded, those three programs are D1 in just about name only. The football game day atmosphere at all three is on par with Clarion. Basketball-wise, Robert Morris has a new arena (I'd say it's similar to the KCAC), Duquesne did a major renovation a few years back and Saint Francis is basically the Memorial Field House with some chairbacks.

Football-wise, IUP and SRU have way better game day atmospheres than all three of them (IUP's has improved dramatically the past couple years). Most high schools in the WPIAL draw bigger crowds than Robert Morris and Saint Francis. Duquesne probably gets a similar gate to most PSAC schools.

Money is obviously a big factor, too. I see some kids signing with those three and I know for certain they aren't getting anywhere near a full ride. So, how much are they taking out in loans (or paying) just to say they play in the bush leagues of D1? A lot. Better academic schools ... probably. How often is that actually the deciding factor?
                              When I was at RMU, they were only funding around 40-50 equivalencies but the average kid on the roster was paying about $30k a year AFTER scholarships & discounts. And football, so they control what you can major, so they're paying $30k a year to earn a 2.5 in Sports Management. "What do you want to do after school?" "My buddy plays at Maryland and he said I'm going to be his agent." Sure, Jan.

Comment

Something RMU struggled with in this most recent coaching regime was attracting WPIAL talent (the last two had Steelers Super Bowl rings to flaunt). Like others said, yeah, they were able to entice some kids with the allure of D1 - but RMU has a 4,000 seat one-sided stadium. Football is also clearly not top dog with the administration nor with students - when hockey returns football will fall to #3 with students. The current head coach had a special connection with the president who hired him (they played against each other in the 80s) but that president is now gone. Plus the location is not ideal to the kid they're typically recruiting: FBS cast-offs and JUCO recruits used to thriving college towns and Black kids from the DMV who are in culture shock in Moon Township along University Blvd. You can't walk anywhere without crossing 4-5 lanes of road if there's even a crosswalk. There's no easy transportation into the city. No community that embraces or even recognizes itself as hosting a university. No party scene.

But the roster is full of guys who probably should be D2 - because RMU should be D2. They're dying in the Big South and the university is struggling to pay the bills from upgrading conferences during Covid. There will be another exodus in a year when Clark is not renewed. He's at 13-34 over 4.5 seasons.
                                They only have a 4,000-seat stadium? I'm surprised their conference lets them get away with that at an FCS level. As for St. Francis, I saw their attendance last year listed at about 1,500 a game, which I think was last or close to it in FCS. Ship and most other PSAC schools get more than that on a bad day.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X