Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Sounds like the top of D1. There's about 5-6 (maybe that many) schools in the hunt. Occasionally you get a TCU type.

The goal in SR1 is to win SR1. Beyond that, as of now, and you're just serving as a tune-up game for somebody (i.e. 'the bye').

IUP's 1993 team would have beaten the hell out of anybody in SR1 this year ... similar to how Mines did or how Ferris really would have. But, IUP could reach a different level at that time. Today, it isn't anywhere near that level of funding, depth, overall talent, etc. These modern IUP teams are a fragment of the power Frank had here in the 90s.

Shepherd and IUP finished 6 and 10 in the final poll. I'm not sure in reality either is that high. Perhaps 14 and 18.
    Splitting hairs, but IUP and Shepherd should be top 12. I really think its just these 5 or 6 schools and then our top dogs are right in the thick of it beyond that with everyone else.

The Mines game drives me crazy. Shepherd played as poorly as they have in years and it snowballed quickly. It was very different from the Ferris beatdown in 2021, they were completely outmatched in that one. The mines game, I felt like the defense was hanging in there, but when Bagent got hit for the strip sack and scoop touchdown to finish the half 17-3 instead of 10-3 that was the nail. Mines came out getting the ball in the 2nd half and quickly scored to make it 24-3, and at that point it was tee off time for their ferocious pass rush.

Bagent was truly incredible and elevated the program. Very thankful that he crossed paths with Shepherd. I am optimistic that with some new faces on offense next year, they may get back to a more balanced attack and embrace rushing the ball a bit. Shepherd went completely pass happy these last few years, and we got rolled in the semi's. Previously, when Shepherd got to that run, they had more balanced offenses and were able to keep more talented teams on their heels with balance. As much as it pains me to say it, IUP may have been a better contender to compete because of their balance on offense (at least if Stewart was healthy, and not breaking doors down). Mines and Ferris were able to easily and quickly eliminate our bread and butter, and having to change your identity on the fly is just a recipe for disaster at that stage of the season. And disaster it was...

Comment

• Excellent work by Matt and a timely article. Despite all of the great information, I came away feeling a bit deflated as an IUP supporter after seeing quotes from Tort essentially saying there’s no chance to win it all. Yes, it’s nice to win the region, but there’s something to having the hope of making it all the way. I do applaud him for his honesty, but what I would have rather saw were quotes like “We’re doing our homework and figuring out how we can be the next Ferris State.” Or, “The gap is wide currently, but we believe we can reach that level and here’s what it’s going to take.” Again, I’m not going to fault the guy for shooting us straight. I guess sometimes the truth hurts. Having been around for two national title games and several other deep runs doesn’t make accepting the reality any easier.

Dissecting the gap between the haves and have nots in DII football seems like a great research paper opportunity. I’d like to see a numerical breakdown to the extent possible so that everyone can see just what the “gap” looks like. Of course, you can’t ignore some of the anecdotal differences…number of similar schools in the vicinity, facilities, degree options, etc. I think it might be easier to comprehend if we knew if we’re talking $1 million more raised each year or $10 million.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
        Excellent work by Matt and a timely article. Despite all of the great information, I came away feeling a bit deflated as an IUP supporter after seeing quotes from Tort essentially saying there’s no chance to win it all. Yes, it’s nice to win the region, but there’s something to having the hope of making it all the way. I do applaud him for his honesty, but what I would have rather saw were quotes like “We’re doing our homework and figuring out how we can be the next Ferris State.” Or, “The gap is wide currently, but we believe we can reach that level and here’s what it’s going to take.” Again, I’m not going to fault the guy for shooting us straight. I guess sometimes the truth hurts. Having been around for two national title games and several other deep runs doesn’t make accepting the reality any easier.

Dissecting the gap between the haves and have nots in DII football seems like a great research paper opportunity. I’d like to see a numerical breakdown to the extent possible so that everyone can see just what the “gap” looks like. Of course, you can’t ignore some of the anecdotal differences…number of similar schools in the vicinity, facilities, degree options, etc. I think it might be easier to comprehend if we knew if we’re talking $1 million more raised each year or $10 million.
        What is (1) equivalency worth ... I'd guess at least $20,000 per year? Maybe it's higher.

That's a Round number at least for this purpose. Adding 10 more per year would be an extra $200,000.

That's a big chunk of change around these parts. Obviously that's an extra $200,000 on top of what your donors have already given.

If Tort can bump from 24 to 34 ... everything changes. But, that's likely wishful thinking without the emergence of a (rare) D2 whale.

But, as Tort basically said, playing with 22-25 equivalencies may win you a Region now and then but the lights go out after that point.

Comment

What is (1) equivalency worth ... I'd guess at least $20,000 per year? Maybe it's higher.

That's a Round number at least for this purpose. Adding 10 more per year would be an extra $200,000.

That's a big chunk of change around these parts. Obviously that's an extra $200,000 on top of what your donors have already given.

If Tort can bump from 24 to 34 ... everything changes. But, that's likely wishful thinking without the emergence of a (rare) D2 whale.

But, as Tort basically said, playing with 22-25 equivalencies may win you a Region now and then but the lights go out after that point.
          It's full cost of attendance: tuition, mandatory fees, housing, and meal plan. This current year that's $22,210.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It's full cost of attendance: tuition, mandatory fees, housing, and meal plan. This current year that's $22,210.
            OK, so I was in the ballpark. I assume those numbers you list are for 'in-state' tuition? Any idea what that number becomes for a student-athlete coming in from say, Texas?

IUP has gone almost exclusively all-PA recruiting to try and stretch their dollars further. Obviously, there are some exceptions (Mak Sexton, etc.).

I know they recently announced a 20% discount off the out-of-state costs.

Comment

OK, so I was in the ballpark. I assume those numbers you list are for 'in-state' tuition? Any idea what that number becomes for a student-athlete coming in from say, Texas?

IUP has gone almost exclusively all-PA recruiting to try and stretch their dollars further. Obviously, there are some exceptions (Mak Sexton, etc.).

I know they recently announced a 20% discount off the out-of-state costs.
              $27,119

Comment

• Avaughn Holley RB Shepherd has entered the transfer portal as a grad transfer. He's a good back, just got bad luck with coming in during Ronnie Brown's tenure.

500 yds and 8 tds in his career. Think he'll have 2 years left. He'll be a good get for someone.

Devon Lynch MLB also entered the portal as a graduate transfer. Was the Rams starting MLB, and was a darn good one. That is a tough loss there.
                Last edited by Ram040506; 01-05-2023, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                  Avaughn Holley RB Shepherd has entered the transfer portal as a grad transfer. He's a good back, just got bad luck with coming in during Ronnie Brown's tenure.

500 yds and 8 tds in his career. Think he'll have 2 years left. He'll be a good get for someone.

Devon Lynch MLB also entered the portal as a graduate transfer. Was the Rams starting MLB, and was a darn good one. That is a tough loss there.
                  Well, I hope they're paying attention at Ship. Running back is a definite need there. They were thin last year and are losing two seniors.

Comment

Avaughn Holley RB Shepherd has entered the transfer portal as a grad transfer. He's a good back, just got bad luck with coming in during Ronnie Brown's tenure.

I don't know the Shepherd team that well but it seems like you are going to have to reload.

Comment

Boy they lost a lot of yards, why would this kid leave now, interesting for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I don't know the Shepherd team that well but it seems like you are going to have to reload.
                        A lot of portal time left to add/subtract but yes it is certainly looking like it could be a reset year. I'm still optimistic about the defense leading a strong team. Lynch was very good, but when Grantham (supposed to be coming back) got hurt #49 JT Yao got some great experience and played pretty well for a freshman in the biggest games of the year throughout the playoffs.

The offense on the other hand is a complete new team. QB, RB, #1 WR, TE, a few lineman, and the FB were all seniors or transferring or (smh) leaving for the draft...

Comment

• It always seems like a big deal when a team has to replace a good quarterback, much less someone who has accomplished what Bagent did.

Comment

A lot of portal time left to add/subtract but yes it is certainly looking like it could be a reset year. I'm still optimistic about the defense leading a strong team. Lynch was very good, but when Grantham (supposed to be coming back) got hurt #49 JT Yao got some great experience and played pretty well for a freshman in the biggest games of the year throughout the playoffs.

The offense on the other hand is a complete new team. QB, RB, #1 WR, TE, a few lineman, and the FB were all seniors or transferring or (smh) leaving for the draft...
                            3 leagues now. I am sure Brown will land in the USFL/XFL If he doesn’t land on an NFL practice squad. I really don’t see him drafted , Free agent time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

3 leagues now. I am sure Brown will land in the USFL/XFL If he doesn’t land on an NFL practice squad. I really don’t see him drafted , Free agent time.
                              I'd be shocked if he gets drafted. I think it could be unlikely he gets even a camp invite. Wish him the best, the odds are stacked big time against him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                                It always seems like a big deal when a team has to replace a good quarterback, much less someone who has accomplished what Bagent did.
                                Do you remember what happened when Tennessee had to replace Peyton Manning?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X