Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
    Another Ram in the portal. Back up DE Jonari Carroll. Only played in 2 games this year.
    As it stands.....71% of D2 players that enter the Portal.....NEVER EXIT. Per NCAA Transfer Portal

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Good advice. And there's no need to be nasty about it as a coach, but if I were head coach of a football team I'd make it clear that if you did put yourself in the portal your chances of being back next year would be slim. An athlete has the right to play where he wants to play, but as a coach I want people on my team who want to be there. If a player is unlikely to get playing time in the future, coaches need to be upfront about that to give the player a better basis on which to make his decision.
      At IUP, Tort has gone on the record (in the Gazette and on his weekly show) saying that if you enter ... goodbye. You aren't coming back.

Now, that hasn't been put to the test in Indiana with a star player yet.

My guess, as the Warden Norton famously said in Shawshank, "Exceptions can be made."

Comment

• Originally posted by Boro33 View Post

As it stands.....71% of D2 players that enter the Portal.....NEVER EXIT. Per NCAA Transfer Portal
        Correct. Most make horrendously awful decisions to leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

At IUP, Tort has gone on the record (in the Gazette and on his weekly show) saying that if you enter ... goodbye. You aren't coming back.

Now, that hasn't been put to the test in Indiana with a star player yet.

My guess, as the Warden Norton famously said in Shawshank, "Exceptions can be made."
          Portal so far has watered down both D2 football and hoops, especially Basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I think I saw on twitter Marlon Cook ended up committing to UT Martin FCS. Good luck to him.
            If he can get in the rotation, he'll be playing at Georgia week one.

Comment

• Shippensburg got a commitment from former Mercyhurst DB 6’1” 180lbs. 2 years left, beat out frostburg, west liberty, and Millersville.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pine Ridge View Post

That’s pretty crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pine Ridge View Post

That will be fun until the game starts.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                    Just did a quick search and see that Ian Sheehan who left ship via the portal last month holds 2 D1 offers from Duquesne and Tarleton State. Still uncommitted and looking for better offers. Hopefully he fairs better than Charles Headen/Winston Eubanks who both left Ship for D1 programs and didn't get the PT/opportunities they thought they'd get although in Eubanks defense he was medically DQ'd due to concussions midway through the season.
                    In fairness to Eubanks, Penn State is a far cry from Duquesne and Tarleton State. I can understand why he'd want to go up there, although it was predictable he wasn't going to see much playing time, concussions or not.

Comment

I understand Shepherd is in the mix.
                      Groan. I hope not. Nothing against Sheehan or Shepherd, but it's irritating to have a former player go to a rival less than an hour down the interstate. I guess the 5-6 season turned him off, but it isn't as if he wasn't a star at Ship, and they certainly targeted him enough. If he can get to D1 I get it.

Comment

In other words ... you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave?

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Portal so far has watered down both D2 football and hoops, especially Basketball.
                          Oh wow....Basketball ? Very surprised to see this. I would think some D-1 players would go down to D-II to get more playing time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Oh wow....Basketball ? Very surprised to see this. I would think some D-1 players would go down to D-II to get more playing time.
                            There's still a huge influx of transfers in D2 basketball.

It's not like the old days (90s) when you'd see players from big name schools. Our programs are typically seeing 'D1' players from lower-end conferences. D1 basketball is so broad. There's the P5 programs. Then the good mid-majors. Then the bad mid-majors. Then the garbage, D1-in-name-only programs.

Much like football, the D2 to D2 transfer is becoming very common in the men's game.

Within the PSAC, some programs go transfer-heavy. This magical run IUP is on the past 3-4 years (three straight PSAC titles) has been built with some (multi-year) imports but largely through high schools recruits who have come to Indiana and stayed in Indiana. Two of IUP's superstars this year were transfers but played here 3-4 years (David Morris and Shawndale Jones). The player who went nuts in the win at UPJ this past weekend came to IUP from Seton Hill (with 3 years in Indiana). But many of the other stars of this era were home-grown -- Ethan Porterfield, Armoni Foster, Dallis Dillard, Malik Miller, Tomiwa Sulaiman, Jacobo Diaz, etc.

PSAC basketball is no different than PSAC football. There are wealthy teams and there are poor teams. IUP has a tremendous following and is near maxed every year. They've even been over the max a couple years with star players on academic money. Joe's lost the national title game twice and last year made it to the Final Four. If one of the two big sports at IUP ever wins the last game of the season, it will be basketball. Football, as it stands today financially, has no chance. IUP is currently 15-0 and ranked No. 1 in both major polls.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

There's still a huge influx of transfers in D2 basketball.

It's not like the old days (90s) when you'd see players from big name schools. Our programs are typically seeing 'D1' players from lower-end conferences. D1 basketball is so broad. There's the P5 programs. Then the good mid-majors. Then the bad mid-majors. Then the garbage, D1-in-name-only programs.

Much like football, the D2 to D2 transfer is becoming very common in the men's game.

Within the PSAC, some programs go transfer-heavy. This magical run IUP is on the past 3-4 years (three straight PSAC titles) has been built with some (multi-year) imports but largely through high schools recruits who have come to Indiana and stayed in Indiana. Two of IUP's superstars this year were transfers but played here 3-4 years (David Morris and Shawndale Jones). The player who went nuts in the win at UPJ this past weekend came to IUP from Seton Hill (with 3 years in Indiana). But many of the other stars of this era were home-grown -- Ethan Porterfield, Armoni Foster, Dallis Dillard, Malik Miller, Tomiwa Sulaiman, Jacobo Diaz, etc.

PSAC basketball is no different than PSAC football. There are wealthy teams and there are poor teams. IUP has a tremendous following and is near maxed every year. They've even been over the max a couple years with star players on academic money. Joe's lost the national title game twice and last year made it to the Final Four. If one of the two big sports at IUP ever wins the last game of the season, it will be basketball. Football, as it stands today financially, has no chance. IUP is currently 15-0 and ranked No. 1 in both major polls.
                              Fite at Ship has won with talent mostly recruited from high school, but has made some shrewd pickups in the transfer market (Kiyon Hardy, Rashon Johnson, etc.). I suspect him to look more heavily at transfers this offseason as he'll be losing four veteran players, including two 1,000-point scorers) with no similar replacements in sight. It will be his most crucial recruiting year since his first at Ship, when the outgoing regime left the cupboard bare, resulting in a 3-23 record. Most programs can't afford to redshirt in the way IUP does. I'll be very interested in the IUP-East Stroudsburg game. That's usually been a battle of Lombardi's individual stars and strong defense vs. Wilson's system, the ESU press and run. IUP's star power has usually prevailed, but Wilson has a couple of stars of his own this year, such as Carlos Pepiin, which could make things more even.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Fite at Ship has won with talent mostly recruited from high school, but has made some shrewd pickups in the transfer market (Kiyon Hardy, Rashon Johnson, etc.). I suspect him to look more heavily at transfers this offseason as he'll be losing four veteran players, including two 1,000-point scorers) with no similar replacements in sight. It will be his most crucial recruiting year since his first at Ship, when the outgoing regime left the cupboard bare, resulting in a 3-23 record. Most programs can't afford to redshirt in the way IUP does. I'll be very interested in the IUP-East Stroudsburg game. That's usually been a battle of Lombardi's individual stars and strong defense vs. Wilson's system, the ESU press and run. IUP's star power has usually prevailed, but Wilson has a couple of stars of his own this year, such as Carlos Pepiin, which could make things more even.
                                I have a hunch this first meeting won't be the last. They may play three times this year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X