Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shepherd welcomes Findlay in Round 1

The Findlay Oilers bring their well balanced physical offense to Shepherdstown for a rematch of the 2017 playoffs. Findlay took full advantage of Shepherd's turnovers and key dropped passes to thwart Shepherd's high powered offense that year. Findlay also made a scheme change at halftime and took advantage of an aggressive defense. In the end, Findlay left with the 12 point win. This year, there are some similarities to that game. Shepherd brings a high powered offense but this time the offense is spread across so many weapons. Findlay's defense holds opposing teams to a modest 115 yards on the ground but do struggle a little with 275 yards through the air. They are a bend don't break defense as they do a solid job in the red zone at 67.5% scoring rate. Shepherd does a great job of stretching the field and will need to hit those when the opportunity arises. Both Ferris State and Southwest Baptist who are great passing teams put up some great offensive numbers in their respective games. Findlay split those. In addition, Shepherd will need be able to run the ball and extend drives in the second half. They can't afford to let Findlay grind the game clock again. Findlay averages 200 yards a game on the ground and 225 through the air. Shepherd will have their hands full with the Findlay offense. Findlay also commits very few penalties. They don't beat themselves. I think this is going to be a close game. Those Shepherd linebackers will be the key to this game.

Was just looking at Findlay's offense. Man, their OL based on who played against Tiffin is big! Really hoping our DL is up to the task this week, they gotta average about 315 plus across the board based upon the roster height/weight. Shepherd is not big on defense. They manhandled the Rams in 2017 in the run game and controlled the clock for about 40 mins of that game.

Thankfully it doesn't appear that they have the thunder back as the rb's they have are small or average in size at best. Really hoping the last 3 weeks were the Rams were really clicking better on defense is a sign of everything coming together at the perfect time and not a product of playing 3 really poor teams. Rams will have to bring their A game to get this win and play a clean game on special teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
      Was just looking at Findlay's offense. Man, their OL based on who played against Tiffin is big! Really hoping our DL is up to the task this week, they gotta average about 315 plus across the board based upon the roster height/weight. Shepherd is not big on defense.
      Really hoping the last 3 weeks were the Rams were really clicking better on defense is a sign of everything coming together at the perfect time and not a product of playing 3 really poor teams. Rams will have to bring their A game to get this win and play a clean game on special teams.
      They are a huge physical offensive line, and I do see us needing to be able to get them into third and longs. As far as our defense, it has continued to improve as the season has progressed. We did play West Chester and East Stroudsburg who are roughly .500 teams and not totally terrible.

Comment

You are both right on. Our OL is arguably our strongest unit (and has been for many years). It seems like every year there are a couple of bruisers on that line and it's key to the offensive success. When the offense is going right, it's because that line is dominating. Watching the game last week against Tiffin, you and I could've called plays. It was shotgun, handoff, run up the gut for ten yards. You know you're playing well when Tiffin's players are getting up and visibly celebrating after holding us to a first down run of four yards haha

In 2017, the big story was Daouda Sylla who was a bulldozer type back who also had some quick feet. This year, very different. Derek Lynch is the speedster and has a 45 carry, 300+ yard game under his belt this year. I believe there are three other backs who have at least on 100-yard game, plus Brian Benson who just had 244 and 3 scores against Tiffin. Josh Booker is the bulldozer, but doesn't have much speed. But he is a BEAST. Also, while QB Matt Winzeler can be inaccurate, he does just enough most times to help the team win. If we're relying on him to win the game though, I don't like our odds.

You're right about the defense. That is our big question. The defensive line is stout and can make plays, especially Ervin Besingi who is having a big year. The linebackers are good tacklers and seem to always be around the ball, but the secondary is the question. It hurts to say, but it's one of the weaker pass defenses I've seen in a while, which is the scary part about going into this week.

All told, I expect a physical game where ball control will be huge. If Shepherd gets an early lead it feels like the game could be over fast where if Findlay gets up a couple scores early, it doesn't feel like the game is over, just because that offense is so electric.

My key to the game, Findlay in the trenches. If the d-lie can get pressure on Bagent and make him a tiny bit uncomfortable, that will help alleviate some of the gaps in the secondary. And like was said, the O-line is going to be important. If they can control the line of scrimmage, that means positive runs. Positive runs don't stop the clock and we need to shorten the game as much as possible.

Comment

One thing I will say about Shepherd is they keep Bagent clean and give him time to throw. He's also very good at feeling the pressure and making positive plays. We have played some very good defensive fronts this year with good success. But if Findlay can create pressure, it will certainly help.

Comment

Originally posted by Monte's Catering Co. View Post
            One thing I will say about Shepherd is they keep Bagent clean and give him time to throw. He's also very good at feeling the pressure and making positive plays. We have played some very good defensive fronts this year with good success. But if Findlay can create pressure, it will certainly help.
            I would just like to add that Shepherd also runs quite a few quick hitters to help neutralize pressure as well. The offense often calls for Bagent to get rid of the ball quickly, and he's been very good with that.

Comment

Is Nasheed Bridgeman back at NT? From the box, it looked like he played against ESU but not Clarion.

Comment

In my opinion, Nasheed Bridgeman should see more playing time. He just seems to disrupt the offensive line with straight forward bull strength. I think he'd be a nice play this Saturday but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

In my opinion the game will come down to sustaining drives and avoiding bad penalties at really bad times. If the secondary can hold up and there are no significant issues on special teams, I think the Rams win 37-31

Comment

Looking back at the box score from 2017, I knew we dominated the time of possession, but I forgot it was 41 minutes worth!! Holy moly. I don't see that happening again just because, that's a crazy number. Of course, maybe Shepherd will score so fast that TOP doesn't even matter

Comment

Originally posted by GetOily View Post
                      Looking back at the box score from 2017, I knew we dominated the time of possession, but I forgot it was 41 minutes worth!! Holy moly. I don't see that happening again just because, that's a crazy number. Of course, maybe Shepherd will score so fast that TOP doesn't even matter
                      That's how they were to start the year, Shepherd has definitely gotten some better balance in the 2nd half of the year. Surprisingly, they were 3rd in the PSAC in rushing.

That 2017 team was a good team, but the high ranking was a result more of prior year's accomplishments. The 2016 team graduated a ton of talent, but we came back with Jessop as the qb and he was very good. This 2021 team is older and more experienced so I think they'll be better on the lines to compete with Findlay. Cautiously optimistic that the defense has figured some stuff out late in the season, and we are peaking at the right time.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by GetOily View Post
                          That definitely seemed off and I looked it up. Forgot about that epic 4 play drive that took 16 minutes off the clock to start the 2nd quarter :)

Click image for larger version

Name:	J00NujQ.png
Views:	266
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	630378

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X