Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shepherd Rams travel to Kutztown to battle the Bears

I know the Rams are chomping at the bit to get back on the field with the Kutztown Golden Bears. The Rams are well aware of what Kutztown brings to the table and it sounds like there is alot of mutual respect between the two coaching staffs. I expect this game to be another close game. You have strength on strength when the Rams offense lines up against the Kutztown defense. Kutztown was the first team this year to drop their safeties back into coverage and thus make Shepherd methodically drive down the field. It worked that day as Shepherd didn't adjust well to that defense. Since then, Shepherd has made an effort to become more balanced on offense and really developed into a great running team. Ronnie Brown is as dynamic of a back as you'll find in the PSAC. Several teams tried to use Kutztown's game plan on defense with varying results. Shepherd has learned to be patient and take what teams are giving you. Shepherd's offensive line has been an impressive unit all season long and I look for that again Saturday. It will be interesting to see if Kutztown comes out in the same scheme or brings something new. Flip to the opposite sides, both Kutztown's offense and Shepherd's have playmakers but neither unit is as dynamic as their team's counterpart. Kutztown is a big, physical team who can methodically grind down opponents. QB Nickel can make plays in the pocket but isn't terribly accurate coming in around 58% completion rate. The Rams are still searching for solidarity in their defensive backs. They'll rotate a slew of guys, but McDade stepped up with two int's against Notre Dame. For Shepherd to win this game, they will need to find a way to slow Kutztown's ground game and make Nickel beat them consistently. In order for Kutztown to win, they will need to keep Bagent and company on the sideline. Should be another entertaining game!

Comment

The first game the Rams only ran 11 times at 6.3 yards a carry. Rams ran off a few 10 yard runs but kept throwing wide out passes for 3 yards. TOP and a balanced, patient attack with run game setting up the pass will be key. We have three high quality running backs who should be fresh and ready to run.

Comment

Dead on, Kutztown ran for 177 yards. You've got to get those 3rd and 8's and take your chances with Nickel at 58% completion.

Comment

Kutztown can look very pedestrian on offense on times. Shepherd's tendency to give up the big play on defense would worry me if I were a Rams fan. Obviously, since both teams are 12-1 they've generally been able to get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
            Kutztown can look very pedestrian on offense on times. Shepherd's tendency to give up the big play on defense would worry me if I were a Rams fan. Obviously, since both teams are 12-1 they've generally been able to get the job done.
            Although giving up 34 isn't ideal, I thought the Rams did a much better job of making them earn it at least. I love how the offense has evolved a bit and is willing to be more balanced, although we didn't run the ball enough this past weekend either. It's certainly gotten better and we have 3 good backs that can get it done.

Not sure if its just game situation, but I feel like Kutztown's offense is struggling later in the season. Their defense is the best in the region no doubt, Shepherd will have to stay patient and take what's given just like they did in the first half against Notre Dame. If we can get them down early by a couple scores, I think the Rams win comfortably. If they turn the ball over, it'll go down to the wire yet again. Bagent doesn't seem to be pressing as much the last few weeks, which is awesome to watch. Efficiently moving down the field and trusting the run game to get it done as well.

Run Defense is going to get another challenge this week. If the Rams can replicate what New Haven did and take away the run... Rams will win. If its like the last 2 games against Kutztown, Kutztown will win. Absolutely cannot let them do whatever they want via run or pass. Have to challenge them and at least partially take something away. Getting out to a lead against that great defense is a tall ask, should be another great matchup in this short series.

Comment

Nickel certainly isn't as talented as DiGalbo was two years ago.

That said, he's got some great leadership qualities to him from what I've seen. Twice this season, once against ESU and then again against West Chester he led Kutztown on game winning drives. Yeah, that was a bad non-call in the West Chester game, but he still drove them down the field and put them in that position.

The biggest thing for me is that the offense needs to get more in sync than they were against New Haven. The o-line looked out of sync compared to what it did against SRU and on at least two occasions the RB tripped over one of his linemen's feet when there was a big hole to run through. I can't help but think the bye week actually hurt in this regard.

Defensively, I'm also concerned though. There were some big pass plays open that New Haven just didn't complete. I don't think a unit like Shepherd with Bagent will miss those.

As long as the weather is good, my wife and I plan to be at the game (with a Chistmas Village trip planned for that evening). Kutztown doesn't have the best facilities, but the atmosphere this past Saturday was great. The band really gets into the game.

Win or lose, it was still a great season for Kutztown again with them finally making it past the second round of the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
                We've come to the conclusion that we'll have to win in a shootout. Now with that being said, we've actually been trying out some new defensive backs in the last few weeks. McDade came up with a couple of picks for us against NDC, but yeah stretching the field on Shep is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by KU_2014 View Post

That said, he's got some great leadership qualities to him from what I've seen. Twice this season, once against ESU and then again against West Chester he led Kutztown on game winning drives. Yeah, that was a bad non-call in the West Chester game, but he still drove them down the field and put them in that position.

The biggest thing for me is that the offense needs to get more in sync than they were against New Haven. The o-line looked out of sync compared to what it did against SRU and on at least two occasions the RB tripped over one of his linemen's feet when there was a big hole to run through. I can't help but think the bye week actually hurt in this regard.

Defensively, I'm also concerned though. There were some big pass plays open that New Haven just didn't complete. I don't think a unit like Shepherd with Bagent will miss those.

As long as the weather is good, my wife and I plan to be at the game (with a Chistmas Village trip planned for that evening). Kutztown doesn't have the best facilities, but the atmosphere this past Saturday was great. The band really gets into the game.

Win or lose, it was still a great season for Kutztown again with them finally making it past the second round of the playoffs.
                  Sometimes that week off ruins the groove the team was in. Do you think it was rust for the KU offense or was New Haven genuinely playing some good defense? That KU defense is fantastic, unless they had some injuries, they'll ensure its a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Sometimes that week off ruins the groove the team was in. Do you think it was rust for the KU offense or was New Haven genuinely playing some good defense? That KU defense is fantastic, unless they had some injuries, they'll ensure its a great game.
                    Yes and no. The coaches ive talked to say the bye week helps the defense 100%. Bye weeks can effect offenses.

Comment

Originally posted by KU_2014 View Post

Both teams have done a great job this season. I think the PSAC East will be fun next year. I hope the team that wins can make a creditable showing in the semifinals, which has been rough on the PSAC in recent years.

Comment

I think it was a mix of both. New Haven was definitely keyed in on the run. However, there were a few instances where Kutztown's RB tripped over his own lineman's feet when there was an opening too. I don't expect the offense to be that out of sync this week, but it's still a concern.

Comment

In what should be the final D2 FB game in PA this year ( unless BSU pulls upset), the RAMS and GOLDEN BEARS will battle on a beautiful autumn day to represent SR1 and PSAC. Mostly sunny, 45-55, 5-15 mph wind and virtually no chance of rain will mean no weather advantage for either team. Slight edge to SHEP who have a 11-13 FG record versus KUTZ 5-9 in a game that could be decided by a kick. Give the proximity (160 miles) and weather, Andre Reed stadium should be packed.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                            In what should be the final D2 FB game in PA this year ( unless BSU pulls upset), the RAMS and GOLDEN BEARS will battle on a beautiful autumn day to represent SR1 and PSAC. Mostly sunny, 45-55, 5-15 mph wind and virtually no chance of rain will mean no weather advantage for either team. Slight edge to SHEP who have a 11-13 FG record versus KUTZ 5-9 in a game that could be decided by a kick. Give the proximity (160 miles) and weather, Andre Reed stadium should be packed.
                            I think if Bowie pulls the upset, they would be home. Bowie State's #'s were pretty strong and think they were over both Kutztown and Shepherd. Would be a nice short drive though if it happens though in Maryland.

Comment

I think if Bowie pulls the upset, they would be home. Bowie State's #'s were pretty strong and think they were over both Kutztown and Shepherd. Would be a nice short drive though if it happens though in Maryland.
                              That would be an easy couple hour drive but the surprisingly small (2964) capacity at Bulldogs Stadium might suggest watching it at home.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X