Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Then Lock Haven Should just drop foosball or join Mansfield in the Powder Puff league. What kid wants to spend four years on a team losing 80-90 percent of the time?
    From what I was told (by one person) that's what Kelling was working on - selling kids on using football to pay for a college education. The value is in the reduced cost, not the win/loss record. If he was making progress in that area, that's a real shame he was let go barring any unforgiveable action.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Field hockey is as regional as ice hockey.
      I've no objection to regional sports but to sports whose popularity is so small it in serves only as a funnel for scholarships and undeserved bragging rights for schools that win. CAL U has won 2 NC in SOFTBALL out of 295 teams and 2 NC in WBB out of 313 teams. Ironically LHU has also won 2 in SOFTBALL. The 13 NC in D2 FH won by BLOOM are, IMO, in no way equivalent and somewhat insulting. Just to spread my contempt for these pseudo champions a bit wider , I feel exactly the same about the 32 D1 WATER POLO programs that also declare a national champion. Given that D1 HOCKEY is largely a regional sport (although ARIZ ST has a team) they meet what I think should be a NC minimum (50 teams) with 59 programs. Excuse my rant, but declaring a NC because a few dozen schools get together and decided to isn't, or shouldn't be what a NC is about.

Comment

Remember...she left one of the worst artificial fields intact because it was advantageous for the field hockey team but very detrimental to her foosball team. How equitable is that?
        I disagree with some of what you say about Sharon Taylor, but I agree with you on this. That old turf at Hubert Jack was a career-ender just waiting to happen. It was basically carpeted asphalt. I realize that's advantageous for field hockey, but in a contact-heavy sport like football, no amount of padding protected the players enough. I can only imagine what the Lock Haven players went through, considering they played on it 5-6 times a year (plus practice?).

What kid wants to spend four years on a team losing 80-90 percent of the time?
        None of them do. They all want to be part of the team that turns things around. It just takes a lot more than that to get it done.

http://www.indianagazette.com
        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I've no objection to regional sports but to sports whose popularity is so small it in serves only as a funnel for scholarships and undeserved bragging rights for schools that win. CAL U has won 2 NC in SOFTBALL out of 295 teams and 2 NC in WBB out of 313 teams. Ironically LHU has also won 2 in SOFTBALL. The 13 NC in D2 FH won by BLOOM are, IMO, in no way equivalent and somewhat insulting. Just to spread my contempt for these pseudo champions a bit wider , I feel exactly the same about the 32 D1 WATER POLO programs that also declare a national champion. Given that D1 HOCKEY is largely a regional sport (although ARIZ ST has a team) they meet what I think should be a NC minimum (50 teams) with 59 programs. Excuse my rant, but declaring a NC because a few dozen schools get together and decided to isn't, or shouldn't be what a NC is about.
          And yet, I feel my school won't be moving its nationall championship trophy to the back of the trophy case any time soon.

I think you're taking central and eastern Pennsylvania's absolute dominance of field hockey to mean that it's a niche sport. I would point out that wrestling and lacrosse aren't seen on most western.campuses, either. Ice hockey too.

It can't all be about football and basketball, even if that's all that will get some of you off your butts.
          ???

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

And yet, I feel my school won't be moving its nationall championship trophy to the back of the trophy case any time soon.

I think you're taking central and eastern Pennsylvania's absolute dominance of field hockey to mean that it's a niche sport. I would point out that wrestling and lacrosse aren't seen on most western.campuses, either. Ice hockey too.

It can't all be about football and basketball, even if that's all that will get some of you off your butts.

???
            Bloom has the most D2 National Championship Trophies in field hockey, but I never got off my butt to see a game.

Bloomsburg, 13 (1983, 1993, 1996-99, 2002-04, 2006-09)

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

???
              Absolutely nothing to do with PA or PSAC. There should be a required level of participation before any sport gets the honor of hoisting an NCAA NC trophy. Not saying at all that FH is an illegitimate sport. Personally feel it,'s an odd variant of LX, but exciting to watch and requires a good deal of skill. D1 FH has 79 members and D3 has 158. D2 Lacrosse has 75 men's and 116 women's teams. All of these schools certainly should be proud of their NC. D2 FH either needs to expand their membership, move teams up/down to 1/3, or take the route of the club status until such time they can get 50+ schools to participate. Purely my old man opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I'm just going to repeat this for the 90th time, the total sum of football players tuition far surpasses the expenses for the program. So cutting football is a net loss of millions of dollars. Nobody is cutting football or consolidating programs. The NCAA will rule in favor of the merger after yawning. This has already been done before just not high profile enough for anyone to know.
                A plan like this has ALSO been rejected in other states. LOOK IT UP!!

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

A plan like this has ALSO been rejected in other states. LOOK IT UP!!
                  Which part - consolidating universities or consolidating athletic departments?

Comment

College football was once a regional sport. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Cal U is part of the problem, no FH team. Quit complaining, the girls can only play who shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by SBR140 View Post

Cal U is part of the problem, no FH team. Quit complaining, the girls can only play who shows up.
                        Respectfully, no. All he is saying is that it shouldn't be considered a "National Champion," when only what amounts to 3 conferences worth of teams actually sponsor the sport. Consolidate the division and have them compete in D3 or D1. I for one think that is completely reasonable, but understand that people like you still want to be called a national champion and it probably will stay that way.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                          IMO, it was better then. Rivalries seemed better and more of them. Hard to believe WVU is in the Big 12. Mizzou will never have sustained success in the SEC. Maryland is an ACC team, etc. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Shepard, another school that chooses not to field a FH team and your taking exception to the D2 teams that do? A bit confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                              And I was once a young man.....both were a long, long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SBR140 View Post
                                Shepard, another school that chooses not to field a FH team and your taking exception to the D2 teams that do? A bit confusing.
                                Think your reading this as an attack on FH, when we are merely taking a position that the NC moniker for a D2 champion is a farce considering the under representation of teams participating in this division. Simply stating there shouldn't be a D2 field hockey and all that have it should be forced to contend in D3 or D1 depending on how you are funded at each respective institution.

Also, it's Shepherd. We already have enough sponsored sports as is, I personally don't think Shepherd needs anymore sports. If Shepherd added Field Hockey it would be strictly to increase enrollment. Field Hockey is an enrollment booster at 99.9% of schools.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X