Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    This has nothing to do with the teams or players. It has to do with the absurdity of the NCAA ( nothing unique there) recognizing a sport worthy of NC status that basically is simply two leagues and assorted others. If a group of 36 schools decided to form frisbee golf teams and convinced the NCAA to recognize it as a NC sport, I'd have the same objection unless 50 plus teams were involved. I think everyone aside from the P5 and NCAA realize that a 4 team playoff in a sport with 130 teams is absurd and an amazing lost opportunity to institute December Madness and make even more $$$ than they already do.
    Well, obviously the P5 has not felt that way. I should have added that the current football playoff has largely been the province of the P5 conferences plus Notre Dame, so you basically eliminate about half of the 130 teams from consideration every year. Since 2014, how often have the same few teams competed for the national championship. We proclaim the Super Bowl winning NFL team World Champions every season, even though virtually no other nation (outside of Canada with different rules) extensively plays American football. If you think 50 is some sort of magic number (so then you'd have three leagues?). Whatever. As jrshooter said, we've played by the rules and we ain't giving the banners back. If you think it's a farce, then have your school field a team and beat us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, obviously the P5 has not felt that way. I should have added that the current football playoff has largely been the province of the P5 conferences plus Notre Dame, so you basically eliminate about half of the 130 teams from consideration every year. Since 2014, how often have the same few teams competed for the national championship. We proclaim the Super Bowl winning NFL team World Champions every season, even though virtually no other nation (outside of Canada with different rules) extensively plays American football. If you think 50 is some sort of magic number (so then you'd have three leagues?). Whatever. As jrshooter said, we've played by the rules and we ain't giving the banners back. If you think it's a farce, then have your school field a team and beat us.
      I don't believe I said farce at any time and I did say that the players should be proud of their accomplishments. Since we can't seem to agree on the nature of this discussion, I'll leave it at that.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I don't believe I said farce at any time and I did say that the players should be proud of their accomplishments. Since we can't seem to agree on the nature of this discussion, I'll leave it at that.
        I don't mean to prolong it, lol. I agree that it is a little weird in that most of the D2 teams are located in a few states and in 2 conferences. However, things are not always perfect. You do have an adequate number of FH teams competing in the other NCAA classifications so it wouldn't really be fair to leave D2 FH schools out of the national picture. Overall, between all 3 divisions, there are a lot of teams and that's why NC's are held by the NCAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
          Lock Haven should look to make this a permanent hire. Phenomenal leader of men and has great experience on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. I'm sure the players already love him and would run through a brick wall for Coach Hubbard

Comment

• Originally posted by MIAAFAN1985 View Post

Lock Haven should look to make this a permanent hire. Phenomenal leader of men and has great experience on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. I'm sure the players already love him and would run through a brick wall for Coach Hubbard
            Looking at his background, I would agree. Of course, they do have to do a search and see what's out there but Hubbard would certainly seem to be a very viable candidate.

Comment

• Originally posted by MIAAFAN1985 View Post

I don't think so. No PSAC experience, just like the last two coaches. The program was more stable when Coach Allen, a PSAC guy was there. Since then, with changes in administration, etc. and coaches, they need some stability there. Running through the wall only lasts so long, especially brick. I think Kelling would be great at Frostburg, knows the job and territory.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post

I don't think so. No PSAC experience, just like the last two coaches. The program was more stable when Coach Allen, a PSAC guy was there. Since then, with changes in administration, etc. and coaches, they need some stability there. Running through the wall only lasts so long, especially brick. I think Kelling would be great at Frostburg, knows the job and territory.
                  Ehh.

Comment

I think that in LHU's situation the PA recruiting experience might be overrated. It's a factor, but might be down the list if the applicant has other qualities. LHU will pick who they think is the best applicant but Hubbard has a good profile. He's got 16 years of college coaching experience, he's been both an OC and a DC, and he's internal. He's a minority candidate. How many black head coaches are there in the PSAC?

I also like the fact that he completed master's degrees at LHU in Sports Psychology and Sports Management. I think LHU will be selling those programs to athletes in the future and he would be a great ambassador since he is an alumnus. While a lot of schools offer those kinds of programs, LHU's are really highly rated and they would do well to exploit that in their recruiting.

But, who knows, maybe other great applicants will materialize.

Comment

I think that in LHU's situation the PA recruiting experience might be overrated. It's a factor, but might be down the list if the applicant has other qualities. LHU will pick who they think is the best applicant but Hubbard has a good profile. He's got 16 years of college coaching experience, he's been both an OC and a DC, and he's internal. He's a minority candidate. How many black head coaches are there in the PSAC?

I also like the fact that he completed master's degrees at LHU in Sports Psychology and Sports Management. I think LHU will be selling those programs to athletes in the future and he would be a great ambassador since he is an alumnus. While a lot of schools offer those kinds of programs, LHU's are really highly rated and they would do well to exploit that in their recruiting.

But, who knows, maybe other great applicants will materialize.
                      Recruiting is never down the list. It will determine your success or failure possibilities along with the funding. You can be an average coach and win in the PSAC with great funding. But, you can't be an average coach and win with limited funding in the PSAC. Rock, Ship, ESU, Kutz, WCU, IUP, have coaches and staff that know the recruiting areas very well. And, they keep winning. LHU needs to find a guy who can compete in recruiting with those schools. Hubs has been at LHU a couple of months. As far as the best candidate, LHU hasn't gotten it right in a while. We will see. It's a mess right now.

Comment

Recruiting is never down the list. It will determine your success or failure possibilities along with the funding. You can be an average coach and win in the PSAC with great funding. But, you can't be an average coach and win with limited funding in the PSAC. Rock, Ship, ESU, Kutz, WCU, IUP, have coaches and staff that know the recruiting areas very well. And, they keep winning. LHU needs to find a guy who can compete in recruiting with those schools. Hubs has been at LHU a couple of months. As far as the best candidate, LHU hasn't gotten it right in a while. We will see. It's a mess right now.
                        Problem is he could be a great salesman but when the money hits the paper ... he has nothing to offer.

The upper tier offers double the money and Mommy and Daddy get real excited.

He gets the diamonds leftover but then they experience a 1-10 season and then play for SRU the next year.

It's an unfair league.

Always said ... put Tort, Dunne or Lutz at LH or Clarion ... and they'd all likely be canned quickly, too.

Key to the PSAC is money. Follow the $ and you'll see the W's.

Comment

I didn't say recruiting wasn't important. What I question is the idea that in every case you need somebody who is "a PSAC guy" or who has pre-established connections in PA. They should advertise the position as head Coach/Miracle Worker but you never know where you find somebody with strong intangibles who can improve on a situation like that.

Comment

I didn't say recruiting wasn't important. What I question is the idea that in every case you need somebody who is "a PSAC guy" or who has pre-established connections in PA. They should advertise the position as head Coach/Miracle Worker but you never know where you find somebody with strong intangibles who can improve on a situation like that.
                            LOL, like the advertised position, so right!!! Calling Bill Snyder.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Problem is he could be a great salesman but when the money hits the paper ... he has nothing to offer.

He gets the diamonds leftover but then they experience a 1-10 season and then play for SRU the next year.

It's an unfair league.

Always said ... put Tort, Dunne or Lutz at LH or Clarion ... and they'd all likely be canned quickly, too.

Real money. Not coupon codes.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's an unfair league.

agree 100%

can't win without money. There are some places you cannot win, even if you're Nick Saban.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X