Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Real money. Not coupon codes.
    Of the 4 PASSHE/PSAC bottom dwellers in the last ten years LHU and MILL are the two most hopeless. Average record for both is 2-9 with zero winning seasons. Given the traditional contract constraints, not to say the current fiscal crisis, I cannot imagine what amount of money could possibly inspire a coach worthy of the title to consider the job. Best (only) options are keeping the interim or finding a +40 LHU ALUM whose working as a OC/DC somewhere and hope he's willing take one for the old school. CALU was very lucky that Gary Dunn was a former VULCAN, 43 and had realized he wasn't likely to move beyond the coordinator level in FCS. Now at 48 I can see him hanging around another 10-15 years. That is assuming FB is still being played in the Valley.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
      How many black head coaches are there in the PSAC?
      That's a great point. The answer is not enough. Outside of Cheyney, the only two I can think of in the 71-year history of the PSAC are Isaac Collins (Seton Hill) and JC Morgan (Millersville).

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
      While a lot of schools offer those kinds of programs, LHU's are really highly rated and they would do well to exploit that in their recruiting.
      That's a nice sentiment, but over my career, if I had a nickel for every PSAC player who has told me that they picked their school because of the reputation of a certain academic program, I'd have about 20 cents.

Like when IUP's financial problems became public, I heard some people suggest the university could save money if it discontinued the football program. What they don't realize is that enrollment would immediately dip by ~100 students because the entire football roster would hit the transfer portal.

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post
      No PSAC experience, just like the last two coaches.
      That's only relevant if the entire staff is the same way.

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
      Best (only) options are keeping the interim or finding a +40 LHU ALUM whose working as a OC/DC somewhere and hope he's willing take one for the old school.
      They tried that with John Klacik from 2005 to 2010. Of the 107 men who have coached at least 45 games in the entire history of the PSAC, only one has a worse career-winning percentage than Klacik (.093).
      http://www.indianagazette.com
      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• I posted this the last time LHU was searching for a new coach. I'll stand by it.

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
        I don't know anything about anything, but if I was Lock Haven, this is what I'd do:
        • Hire someone who has been a head coach before and who has a defensive background.
        • Have him hire an OC who has a background in the Triple Option or something of that nature.
        • Have your HC be your DC.
        • Take your limited scholarship money and put it into the best QB you can find who ran your offense in high school. If he's out of state, get him anyway. Money shouldn't be a consideration on this.
        • Put a few dollars into a serviceable backup because your QB is going to take a beating.
        • Put the rest of your money into linemen on both sides of the ball. You can get all the 5-10, 180-pound RBs and 5-11, 200-pound LBs you need locally.
        • On defense, don't do anything risky. Play a simple base and try to keep things in front of you. Be competitive on the line of scrimmage. Stress fundamentals like tackling and leverage.
        • Basic philosophy should be to run the ball and eat the clock on offense and limit the big plays on defense. Don't let games get out of hand.
        http://www.indianagazette.com
        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
          I posted this the last time LHU was searching for a new coach. I'll stand by it.
          Oh wait are we talking theoretical or real. In theory you're 100% on target. In reality I'd suggest option A or B but prefer B.

Comment

I posted this the last time LHU was searching for a new coach. I'll stand by it.
            The Veer or the Wishbone ... offenses that can help bad teams stay competitive. Nobody sees them anymore. They can milk a ton of clock. They are very difficult offenses for a scout team to run effectively on short notice.

Comment

That's a great point. The answer is not enough. Outside of Cheyney, the only two I can think of in the 71-year history of the PSAC are Isaac Collins (Seton Hill) and JC Morgan (Millersville).

That's a nice sentiment, but over my career, if I had a nickel for every PSAC player who has told me that they picked their school because of the reputation of a certain academic program, I'd have about 20 cents.

Like when IUP's financial problems became public, I heard some people suggest the university could save money if it discontinued the football program. What they don't realize is that enrollment would immediately dip by ~100 students because the entire football roster would hit the transfer portal.

That's only relevant if the entire staff is the same way.

They tried that with John Klacik from 2005 to 2010. Of the 107 men who have coached at least 45 games in the entire history of the PSAC, only one has a worse career-winning percentage than Klacik (.093).
              Well, the last two staffs didn't bring in PSAC coaches. So, good point, but at any rate, they have to hire somebody who has proven something along PSAC lines I would think.

Comment

• Welp. This certainly won't help LHU.

https://twitter.com/jheisey_/status/1468642093736378368

Click image for larger version

Name:	heisey.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	641217
                Last edited by jrshooter; 12-18-2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

So how many is "enough"?

Collins at Seton Hill - 13 and 53 for .197 winning percentage
                  Morgan so far at Millersville - 6 and 27 for .182 winning percentage

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                    So how many is "enough"?

Collins at Seton Hill - 13 and 53 for .197 winning percentage
                    Morgan so far at Millersville - 6 and 27 for .182 winning percentage
                    I don't understand the implications involved with your post. In more explicit terms, what is it that you are trying to express.

Comment

I don't understand the implications involved with your post. In more explicit terms, what is it that you are trying to express.
                      I understand, and I don't necessarily disagree. Are we saying there should be a quota?

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I understand, and I don't necessarily disagree. Are we saying there should be a quota?
                        No. Nobody said anything about a quota. I simply mentioned that if LHU did choose to hire the interim coach permanently that being a minority hire would be a positive thing. Another poster (who I understand might not want to react further to this) answered my question of "how many" by providing a number that represents less than 3% of the Head Coaches in football over the life of the PSAC. So, yeah, <3% is probably not enough to be considered representative in any way, especially when a large number of PSAC players are African-American.

Comment

No. Nobody said anything about a quota. I simply mentioned that if LHU did choose to hire the interim coach permanently that being a minority hire would be a positive thing. Another poster (who I understand might not want to react further to this) answered my question of "how many" by providing a number that represents less than 3% of the Head Coaches in football over the life of the PSAC. So, yeah, <3% is probably not enough to be considered representative in any way, especially when a large number of PSAC players are African-American.

John Allen coached at LHU. Before Taynor and Kelling. AA Coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                            Of the 4 PASSHE/PSAC bottom dwellers in the last ten years LHU and MILL are the two most hopeless. Average record for both is 2-9 with zero winning seasons. Given the traditional contract constraints, not to say the current fiscal crisis, I cannot imagine what amount of money could possibly inspire a coach worthy of the title to consider the job. Best (only) options are keeping the interim or finding a +40 LHU ALUM whose working as a OC/DC somewhere and hope he's willing take one for the old school. CALU was very lucky that Gary Dunn was a former VULCAN, 43 and had realized he wasn't likely to move beyond the coordinator level in FCS. Now at 48 I can see him hanging around another 10-15 years. That is assuming FB is still being played in the Valley.
                            Hard to understand Millersville as I think they have the resources and recruiting area to do better. They were consistently competitive for years during the Gene Carpenter area. Lock Haven has really had no sustained streak of winning seasons for many, many years. Clarion is sinking fast, and I think they might be in more danger at this point than Millersville.

Comment

Last edited by EyeoftheHawk; 12-19-2021, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• LOL Valdosta State coach Gary Goff is off to McNeese State.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X