Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    LOL Valdosta State coach Gary Goff is off to McNeese State.
    That's certainly one of the most attractive jobs in D2. Curious to see what names surface.

Ironically, the team he just left would have beat the team he just inherited.

Comment

LOL Valdosta State coach Gary Goff is off to McNeese State.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I don't understand the implications involved with your post. In more explicit terms, what is it that you are trying to express.
        No real implications. Matt indicated "not enough", which clearly implied there should be more, as in some minimum. I actually agree with your assessment - LHU should hire the best candidate.

Comment

• A guy I'd like to see given a shot at LHU (or Clarion) is Colin Neely. He's from Bethlehem, played at Michigan State, and coached at East Stroudsburg and Edinboro, where he as AHC and DC. He's currently DC at Chowan in the CIAA. Colin was pretty well liked in McComb.

Comment

A guy I'd like to see given a shot at LHU (or Clarion) is Colin Neely. He's from Bethlehem, played at Michigan State, and coached at East Stroudsburg and Edinboro, where he as AHC and DC. He's currently DC at Chowan in the CIAA. Colin was pretty well liked in McComb.
            The LHU job is not about just giving a guy a shot. They need credibility and a commitment. I'm sure Neely is a good guy. LHU, Ville, Clarion, or any have nots have hired PSAC proven people who have done it with less. And, they continue to suffer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post

The LHU job is not about just giving a guy a shot. They need credibility and a commitment. I'm sure Neely is a good guy. LHU, Ville, Clarion, or any have nots have hired PSAC proven people who have done it with less. And, they continue to suffer.
              LOL good luck with those expectations. You're going to get a first time head coach and you're going to like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post

Why in the world would a coach with 'credibility' want that job?

The candidate field will be:

* First-timer looking for a HC spot ... likely in his mid- to late-20s. This is probably the best option, but he'll be gone at the first hint of success.
                * Long-time PSAC assistant finally wanting to take a shot. This path could work, although there's probably reasons he's been a career assistant.
                * Retread looking for a last dance. This would be your (simply as a name-drop example) Walt Harris, Lou Tepper types. I'd have major fears of hiring an older retread in this current social media world.

The track record alone will frighten off any solid HCs. The schools future (uncertainty) surely won't help, either. The fact they gave the last guy one season won't be real appealing to applicants.

Comment

• Biggest challenge for retention is the lack of resources. Salary is competitive in PASSHE and benefits are great but in PASSHE your salary benefits at the detriment to your job resources. Facilities are mediocre at best and operating budgets are meager. You're constantly scuffling for scholarship money. Not claiming mileage on recruiting trips so you don't nickel and time your budget. Deciding between new uniforms or new practice equipment. Some coaches don't know any different and get comfortable. If they know what its like on the other half of the world, they're gone.

One time I was having a beer with a PASSHE head coach and I asked him if he could have one thing for his program, what would it be. I assumed scholarships. He said all new practice equipment. Another PASSHE head coach has told me that he'll probably lose every D1 transfer because he has to put 4 players in each hotel room on overnight trips.

Comment

Biggest challenge for retention is the lack of resources. Salary is competitive in PASSHE and benefits are great but in PASSHE your salary benefits at the detriment to your job resources. Facilities are mediocre at best and operating budgets are meager. You're constantly scuffling for scholarship money. Not claiming mileage on recruiting trips so you don't nickel and time your budget. Deciding between new uniforms or new practice equipment. Some coaches don't know any different and get comfortable. If they know what its like on the other half of the world, they're gone.

One time I was having a beer with a PASSHE head coach and I asked him if he could have one thing for his program, what would it be. I assumed scholarships. He said all new practice equipment. Another PASSHE head coach has told me that he'll probably lose every D1 transfer because he has to put 4 players in each hotel room on overnight trips.
                    4 to a room on hotel trips isn't the norm at this level? It was in the mid 2000's when I played.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

4 to a room on hotel trips isn't the norm at this level? It was in the mid 2000's when I played.
                      The way everybody is so freaked out about everything in today's society ... I'm shocked they could still book 4 dudes in a room with 2 beds. In the 80s and 90s ... it was the norm. Today ... call me surprised.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The way everybody is so freaked out about everything in today's society ... I'm shocked they could still book 4 dudes in a room with 2 beds. In the 80s and 90s ... it was the norm. Today ... call me surprised.

Comment

• There are some hints on his twitter page, but I believe Kelling has followed his former boss to Southern Utah.

Interesting trivia piece I just found - Kelling was on the same North Dakota staff as former Millersville coach Greg Breitbach.

Comment

There are some hints on his twitter page, but I believe Kelling has followed his former boss to Southern Utah.

Interesting trivia piece I just found - Kelling was on the same North Dakota staff as former Millersville coach Greg Breitbach.
                            The Eagle has landed. Breitbach is still struggling.

Comment

There are some hints on his twitter page, but I believe Kelling has followed his former boss to Southern Utah.

While its not "official, I agree that Coach Kelling's twitter page says it all....unless he's posting those items as leverage for other opportunities. Either way, I am happy for Coach Kelling. I wish him well.

Comment

A guy I'd like to see given a shot at LHU (or Clarion) is Colin Neely. He's from Bethlehem, played at Michigan State, and coached at East Stroudsburg and Edinboro, where he as AHC and DC. He's currently DC at Chowan in the CIAA. Colin was pretty well liked in McComb.
                                A great guy! I'll be shocked if he isn't a HC somewhere soon!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X