Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It would keep athletics viable. At sone point a dinky high school may not be able to field teams. Kids lose out.
    Most of the schools you mention should be able to field teams, especially Indiana and Marion Center. Some small schools do make the mistake of having too many teams. If you don't have many boys, it's probably a mistake to try and field both football and soccer in the fall. I know of a couple of small schools who've either added soccer to football or football to soccer programs. Instead of one competitive program, you usually end up with two mediocre or poor ones. It's an issue that probably defies easy solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Most of the schools you mention should be able to field teams, especially Indiana and Marion Center. Some small schools do make the mistake of having too many teams. If you don't have many boys, it's probably a mistake to try and field both football and soccer in the fall. I know of a couple of small schools who've either added soccer to football or football to soccer programs. Instead of one competitive program, you usually end up with two mediocre or poor ones. It's an issue that probably defies easy solution.
      Yes...but did you see the high school foosball scores across PA this year...most weeks it was a ton of blowouts among the lower classifications in the central and western end of the Commonwealth. You can literally see what schools are basically hanging on with their programs. I think some sort of reform needs to happen. Maybe high schools partner and consolidate their athletics. I don't know but the gap in competitiveness is widening and that's really not good for high school kids.

Comment

In SEPA...the consolidations happened years ago. Small towns like Bridgeport and Conshohocken had their own high schools. In the 60's, they were merged into Upper Merion and Plymouth-Whitemarsh.

Norristown and Coatesville are two districts where the town the schools are named after have a large minority population but the district also includes the white majority townships that border them. Norristown High School is actually in West Norriton Township. Coatesville seems to work because they do well in sports. Their school taxes however are horrendous.

There are a few school districts with multiple high schools. West Chester (3), Downingtown (2) and Central Bucks (3) are probably the ones that you are thinking about.
        And Council Rock as well.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

In SEPA...the consolidations happened years ago. Small towns like Bridgeport and Conshohocken had their own high schools. In the 60's, they were merged into Upper Merion and Plymouth-Whitemarsh.

Norristown and Coatesville are two districts where the town the schools are named after have a large minority population but the district also includes the white majority townships that border them. Norristown High School is actually in West Norriton Township. Coatesville seems to work because they do well in sports. Their school taxes however are horrendous.

There are a few school districts with multiple high schools. West Chester (3), Downingtown (2) and Central Bucks (3) are probably the ones that you are thinking about.
          In Western PA (PIAA Districts 7,8,10), the only districts with multiple high schools are Pittsburgh Public Schools, Crawford Central (Cochranton & Meadville), Penncrest (Cambridge Springs, Maplewood, Saegertown), and Warren (Eisenhower, Sheffield, Warren, Youngsville). Other than Pittsburgh (city only), they're all low-population rural regions too distant to consolidate high schools.

Comment

Yes...but did you see the high school foosball scores across PA this year...most weeks it was a ton of blowouts among the lower classifications in the central and western end of the Commonwealth. You can literally see what schools are basically hanging on with their programs. I think some sort of reform needs to happen. Maybe high schools partner and consolidate their athletics. I don't know but the gap in competitiveness is widening and that's really not good for high school kids.
            You have a point, but sometimes it's just what's going on with individual schools rather than than the size of the enrollment. I know of schools who've combined for football under PIAA rules, but then you have to move up using the enrollments of both districts. Some that have done that haven't fared that well. North Penn/Mansfield is one I can think of off the top of my head. Travel would be a real problem in consolidating some of the more remote Pa. districts, especially in areas more prone to bad weather.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

In Western PA (PIAA Districts 7,8,10), the only districts with multiple high schools are Pittsburgh Public Schools, Crawford Central (Cochranton & Meadville), Penncrest (Cambridge Springs, Maplewood, Saegertown), and Warren (Eisenhower, Sheffield, Warren, Youngsville). Other than Pittsburgh (city only), they're all low-population rural regions too distant to consolidate high schools.
              West Shore (Red Land and Cedar Cliff) is another

Comment

• And obviously, Central Dauphin and CD East.

Funny thing with the West Shore district -- in which I reside. The only consolidation between Red Land and Cedar Cliff is a combined band.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                  And obviously, Central Dauphin and CD East.

Funny thing with the West Shore district -- in which I reside. The only consolidation between Red Land and Cedar Cliff is a combined band.
                  In some states that have separated high school districts, such as Illinois and New Jersey, there are often multiple high schools in the same district that play each other in sports. As a sophomore, my district split into Glenbrook North and South. We played at that time against Niles East and West, Proviso East and West, East and West Leyden, etc. In the Chicago area, where suburban high schools are usually huge, this is very common.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X