Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shepherd 2021 and Onward

A very disappointing end to an otherwise strong season and incredible post-season. The "next man up" concept will be critical as Shepherd will lose a significant amount of talent to graduation/eligibility.

A couple of interesting questions to find answers going forward as Shepherd tries to return to the national semi-finals and ultimately more appearances in the national championship:

Defense - this unit lacked the playmakers and shut-down play it enjoyed back in 2015-2016. It struggled to get stops against Kutztown in the regular season, gave up a 21-0 lead to the Golden Bears in the Quarterfinals, had the offense playing from behind, and simply looked inept against Ferris State. There once was a time when Shepherd would have late season leads and the Shepherd defense would pin its ears back and make the opposing offenses hate life. Defense wins championships--or at least gives you more than a fighting chance to reach the national championship and compete against the best. What's the missing piece(s)?

O-Line/D-Line - Shepherd has always recruited for speed over size. This becomes evident in the playoffs, particularly when facing programs from the midwest. Speed can wear down the big guys, but it was certainly a factor against Ferris State. Was it due to weather conditions, did it just not work out this one time, or is Shepherd due to re-assess what it looks for in linemen? I remember a while back when first and goal meant Shepherd was going to score a touchdown, and they were going to do it by handing the rock to the RB because the line was a dominant force. Does size matter?

Scholarships - Shepherd's not fully funded (where can scholarship comparison data for D-II schools be found?). When you have a school with 4,000-5,000 students going against schools with 14,000-20,000 students ... the funding gap between the respective schools' continues to grow apart exponentially--due to lower home attendance figures and the alumni/donor base. Shepherd does an amazing job given its limited resources. I can't speak to other states, but I believe WV prohibits state funds from being used for scholarships--a disadvantage if that isn't a universal practice across the nation. But "money talks," and "follow the money" applies ... get more of it and the potential talent pool likely increases.

Concerns Coming Up - I envision more parity in the PSAC and a conference that eats its own leading to strong teams with 2-3 losses praying for a playoff spot. Throw in a Frostburg State program that will be playoff eligible sooner than later and a GMAC conference with its own share of solid programs (Ashland, Findlay, OH Dominican) and playoff spots will be hard to come by in the future. I could easily see a Super Region 1 bracket that only has two spots for PSAC teams--NDC and Frostburg, two GMAC, one NE-10, leaving two PSAC teams.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepAlum View Post
      A very disappointing end to an otherwise strong season and incredible post-season. The "next man up" concept will be critical as Shepherd will lose a significant amount of talent to graduation/eligibility.

A couple of interesting questions to find answers going forward as Shepherd tries to return to the national semi-finals and ultimately more appearances in the national championship:

Defense - this unit lacked the playmakers and shut-down play it enjoyed back in 2015-2016. It struggled to get stops against Kutztown in the regular season, gave up a 21-0 lead to the Golden Bears in the Quarterfinals, had the offense playing from behind, and simply looked inept against Ferris State. There once was a time when Shepherd would have late season leads and the Shepherd defense would pin its ears back and make the opposing offenses hate life. Defense wins championships--or at least gives you more than a fighting chance to reach the national championship and compete against the best. What's the missing piece(s)?

O-Line/D-Line - Shepherd has always recruited for speed over size. This becomes evident in the playoffs, particularly when facing programs from the midwest. Speed can wear down the big guys, but it was certainly a factor against Ferris State. Was it due to weather conditions, did it just not work out this one time, or is Shepherd due to re-assess what it looks for in linemen? I remember a while back when first and goal meant Shepherd was going to score a touchdown, and they were going to do it by handing the rock to the RB because the line was a dominant force. Does size matter?

Scholarships - Shepherd's not fully funded (where can scholarship comparison data for D-II schools be found?). When you have a school with 4,000-5,000 students going against schools with 14,000-20,000 students ... the funding gap between the respective schools' continues to grow apart exponentially--due to lower home attendance figures and the alumni/donor base. Shepherd does an amazing job given its limited resources. I can't speak to other states, but I believe WV prohibits state funds from being used for scholarships--a disadvantage if that isn't a universal practice across the nation. But "money talks," and "follow the money" applies ... get more of it and the potential talent pool likely increases.

Concerns Coming Up - I envision more parity in the PSAC and a conference that eats its own leading to strong teams with 2-3 losses praying for a playoff spot. Throw in a Frostburg State program that will be playoff eligible sooner than later and a GMAC conference with its own share of solid programs (Ashland, Findlay, OH Dominican) and playoff spots will be hard to come by in the future. I could easily see a Super Region 1 bracket that only has two spots for PSAC teams--NDC and Frostburg, two GMAC, one NE-10, leaving two PSAC teams.
      Although I agree, very disappointing finish... I do think this is going to only push Shepherd upward. I get the sense through social media reaction and Chauncey's (claim is the Rams are at 28 schollies to date) lengthy recent posts that the fundraising is going to get there and Shepherd is going to be fully funded in the near future. This loss stung like none have before, and I think the reaction is incredibly positive. The Shepherd community truly cares and getting embarrassed like that I predict has galvanized the program. Chauncey said when he took over that he was going to make Shepherd the premier place in the NE/MA area. Expectations are only going to get bigger, but I think we have the right people in place that this becomes quite positive for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Although I agree, very disappointing finish... I do think this is going to only push Shepherd upward. I get the sense through social media reaction and Chauncey's (claim is the Rams are at 28 schollies to date) lengthy recent posts that the fundraising is going to get there and Shepherd is going to be fully funded in the near future. This loss stung like none have before, and I think the reaction is incredibly positive. The Shepherd community truly cares and getting embarrassed like that I predict has galvanized the program. Chauncey said when he took over that he was going to make Shepherd the premier place in the NE/MA area. Expectations are only going to get bigger, but I think we have the right people in place that this becomes quite positive for the program.
        If they do have 28 schollies I can see why they're having success in the PSAC. I'm pretty sure most PSAC schools are nowhere close to that. If none of the support is from state money (don't know what the rule is in W.Va.), that is impressive funding for a small school.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

If they do have 28 schollies I can see why they're having success in the PSAC. I'm pretty sure most PSAC schools are nowhere close to that. If none of the support is from state money (don't know what the rule is in W.Va.), that is impressive funding for a small school.
          West VA has the same rule as PA. Can't use state funding for scholarships. Chauncey is going to get us there, he said he would make Shepherd the best in the East. He's done nothing to prove that isn't happening currently, and I'm very excited for the Ram's future.

Comment

West VA has the same rule as PA. Can't use state funding for scholarships. Chauncey is going to get us there, he said he would make Shepherd the best in the East. He's done nothing to prove that isn't happening currently, and I'm very excited for the Ram's future.
            Hold up. In two seasons in the PSAC, Shepherd has won the East zero times. If it weren't for a Hail Mary at Kutztown, the discussion today might be about what the Rams need to do to get over the Kutztown hump.

Shepherd will rule the East eventually, but it isn't happening yet.
            http://www.indianagazette.com
            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Hold up. In two seasons in the PSAC, Shepherd has won the East zero times. If it weren't for a Hail Mary at Kutztown, the discussion today might be about what the Rams need to do to get over the Kutztown hump.

Good point, Matt. And the East hasn't exactly been strong the last couple of seasons we've played. I've seen much better teams at Ship, West Chester, and Bloomsburg, and I'm still mystified that Millersville can't seem to get it together. East Stroud was improved this year. I'm not sure Lock Haven will ever get into the mix. One thing is sure. Shepherd will take over the East if the rest of the teams sit on their hands and don't toughen up. I did notice that Ship, West Chester, and some of the other schools had a ton of underclassmen playing this season, and that might lead to a more competitive division in a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Should have been more specific... meant in the East Region playoff picture. Wasn't referring to the conference title in any respect. I personally care more about how they do in the playoffs, I'd rather win the region then win the PSAC. They haven't won the PSAC East, but they've certainly been the most successful PSAC East team in the postseason for those 2 years.

Comment

Should have been more specific... meant in the East Region playoff picture. Wasn't referring to the conference title in any respect. I personally care more about how they do in the playoffs, I'd rather win the region then win the PSAC. They haven't won the PSAC East, but they've certainly been the most successful PSAC East team in the postseason for those 2 years.
                  Well, they were certainly good in the playoffs this year, but they were also very fortunate. I don't think I'd want to make a living trying to pull games out with 28 seconds and 39 seconds left for my last possession. Bagent has been a good one, and they've been fun to watch.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X