Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post

Cal still had plenty of money after Lucky, it would have been hard not to be successful, Clarion is different ballgame, must be able to recruit and evaluate and be different,
    Yep. Its like the 90s Pirates competing in the old NL East. You can only do so much to out-recruit those who can outspend. Plus Clarion isn't an appealing destination and has the reputation of Kmart.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Yep. Its like the 90s Pirates competing in the old NL East. You can only do so much to out-recruit those who can outspend. Plus Clarion isn't an appealing destination and has the reputation of Kmart.
      LOL @ K-Mart. Although Coach Cal loved it at one time. Now, he's not leaving that Kentucky Blue Grass. I still have hope for Clarion. However, at this point, it's not a job for a first time head coach. The problem today for the bottom PSAC schools, is if they keep hiring people who run the same offense and defense as the haves, it's going to come down to money and they lose. They can't sell anything different, so why would a recruit go there when they can get the same at the haves. That's the dilemma. We are spawning a generation of coaches that know only one offense. Somewhere, Tubby Raymond, Bill Yeoman, and Emory Bellard are shaking their heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post

LOL @ K-Mart. Although Coach Cal loved it at one time. Now, he's not leaving that Kentucky Blue Grass. I still have hope for Clarion. However, at this point, it's not a job for a first time head coach. The problem today for the bottom PSAC schools, is if they keep hiring people who run the same offense and defense as the haves, it's going to come down to money and they lose. They can't sell anything different, so why would a recruit go there when they can get the same at the haves. That's the dilemma. We are spawning a generation of coaches that know only one offense. Somewhere, Tubby Raymond, Bill Yeoman, and Emory Bellard are shaking their heads.
        If you want an experienced HC, they're going to come from D3 (Jim Clements) or someone looking for vindication from previous jobs (Lou Tepper).

Comment

If you want an experienced HC, they're going to come from D3 (Jim Clements) or someone looking for vindication from previous jobs (Lou Tepper).
          And so it shall be................................................ .................................................. D3 or Vindication! Veni Vidi Vici

Comment

I don't think they are as far off as you believe they are. They've had a lot of really good talent on that roster over the last 5-6 years that they haven't been able to take advantage of due to piss poor coaching on the offensive side of the football and some tough luck. I'm not going to elaborate on the specifics of my comments on the coaching side because that doesn't need to be public knowledge but I'll focus on the 2nd part. This year, QB1 and QB2 were lost for the season within in the first 8 quarters of football both on freak injuries (non-contact). They played the balance of the year with QB3 and QB4 that they never intended to see snaps coming into the season. There isn't a team at any level that wouldn't have issues with that. There stud running back was suspended to start the season and suffered an injury upon return and was lost for the season. There O line was super young and struggled to get movement in the run game but held there own in pass pro. A decent QB and some changes in the play calling and that team could have taken advantage of a really good group of receivers and put some points up. I know, I know, the facts are they didn't, the product was really bad, and now most of those players have moved on. But my point is, they built up some really good talent on the outsides, talent that will be doing really good things for other teams next year but they can do that again and with a really good young group of O line and a much better coaching situation, they can be a good football team. Will they? We'll see, but its not as steep of a hill as it looks right now.

Comment

if the school wishes to actually be competitive they need to recruit with money, ie scholarships. it is a tough place to draw as Clarion appeals to 50 year olds, not 18 year olds. A scholarship will draw kids away from paying twice or three times as much somewhere else. This place, sorry to say, will soon be a place where a new coach goes to earn a good reputation then moves on asap because they know there is no way to repeat winning seasons regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by CUlater View Post

I don't think they are as far off as you believe they are. They've had a lot of really good talent on that roster over the last 5-6 years that they haven't been able to take advantage of due to piss poor coaching on the offensive side of the football and some tough luck. I'm not going to elaborate on the specifics of my comments on the coaching side because that doesn't need to be public knowledge but I'll focus on the 2nd part. This year, QB1 and QB2 were lost for the season within in the first 8 quarters of football both on freak injuries (non-contact). They played the balance of the year with QB3 and QB4 that they never intended to see snaps coming into the season. There isn't a team at any level that wouldn't have issues with that. There stud running back was suspended to start the season and suffered an injury upon return and was lost for the season. There O line was super young and struggled to get movement in the run game but held there own in pass pro. A decent QB and some changes in the play calling and that team could have taken advantage of a really good group of receivers and put some points up. I know, I know, the facts are they didn't, the product was really bad, and now most of those players have moved on. But my point is, they built up some really good talent on the outsides, talent that will be doing really good things for other teams next year but they can do that again and with a really good young group of O line and a much better coaching situation, they can be a good football team. Will they? We'll see, but its not as steep of a hill as it looks right now.
                Timing is everything, I'm told, and timing for Golden Eagle FB could not be worse for two clear reasons. First the existence of the school itself is probably not far above a coin flip considering present circumstances in PASSHE. And it was really a bad time to lead the system in enrollment drop, -12.2%, versus systemwide -5.4%. Second is the explosion of the transfer portal. Recruiting, scholarship $$ and even outstanding coaching are all for naught when truly talented players see clear opportunities to improve their collegiate athletic experience by simply making themselves available to the highest bidder. And I cannot for the life of me see any hope of altering those circumstances in the future.

Comment

Clarion and LHU need to take the Dusty Springfield method (wishing, hoping, and praying) for a home run hire who does the Justin Lustig treatment. Reverse momentum in one quick season. Just try to make sure he sticks around for more than that one season.

Comment

Originally posted by playersdad View Post
                    if the school wishes to actually be competitive they need to recruit with money, ie scholarships. it is a tough place to draw as Clarion appeals to 50 year olds, not 18 year olds. A scholarship will draw kids away from paying twice or three times as much somewhere else. This place, sorry to say, will soon be a place where a new coach goes to earn a good reputation then moves on asap because they know there is no way to repeat winning seasons regularly.

In theory, you are correct. Money cures all in the PSAC sports world. But, where is Clarion to find such money? Unless there's a magic tree beside the Captain Loomis, it isn't going to suddenly appear. It would take a coach who is a dynamic fundraiser ... talking like a Gordon Gekko.

Above, you stated 'to actually be competitive'. Oddly, Clarion's teams the past decade or so -- with the exception of 2021 -- have been largely (at least) 'competitive'. The winning records weren't there (ony 1 year above .500 in the past 11 seasons) but they've had years of being a major thorn to the Big 3. Prior to this year, for the most part they weren't a pushover. The Golden Eagles gave IUP (and others) a couple major scares.

They've always found talent. This past season was a prime example. That roster had a lot of it. Granted, said talent started leaving town in early October, but, it was there. The offers their departed players are receiving are the proof.

They lost the two QBs early and it imploded from there. What went on behind the scenes we'll never know.

The new age of the Transfer Portal has become the death of Clarion-type programs. It's going to be nearly impossible to build -- and sustain -- any level of a program. These schools are simply becoming feeder programs to the wealthy (think Pittsburgh Pirates).

I'd agree, Clarion is a tough draw in today's world. It's isolated. The winters suck. The town is the same today as it was in 1965. But, it would be a paradise for the right fits. Not everybody wants the big campus vibe. If you're in to the outdoors, there is no place better.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

In theory, you are correct. Money cures all in the PSAC sports world. But, where is Clarion to find such money? Unless there's a magic tree beside the Captain Loomis, it isn't going to suddenly appear. It would take a coach who is a dynamic fundraiser ... talking like a Gordon Gekko.

Above, you stated 'to actually be competitive'. Oddly, Clarion's teams the past decade or so -- with the exception of 2021 -- have been largely (at least) 'competitive'. The winning records weren't there (ony 1 year above .500 in the past 11 seasons) but they've had years of being a major thorn to the Big 3. Prior to this year, for the most part they weren't a pushover. The Golden Eagles gave IUP (and others) a couple major scares.

They've always found talent. This past season was a prime example. That roster had a lot of it. Granted, said talent started leaving town in early October, but, it was there. The offers their departed players are receiving are the proof.

They lost the two QBs early and it imploded from there. What went on behind the scenes we'll never know.

The new age of the Transfer Portal has become the death of Clarion-type programs. It's going to be nearly impossible to build -- and sustain -- any level of a program. These schools are simply becoming feeder programs to the wealthy (think Pittsburgh Pirates).

I'd agree, Clarion is a tough draw in today's world. It's isolated. The winters suck. The town is the same today as it was in 1965. But, it would be a paradise for the right fits. Not everybody wants the big campus vibe. If you're in to the outdoors, there is no place better.
                      I agree. Unfortunately the transfer portal blew up the dog fight that was the PSAC. Most teams with bad records were like Edinboro this year - scuffling every game and usually an upset threat. Almost anything was possible on Saturdays. It made PSAC & D2 football great. But now the "how did they find him?" players will transfer once they start sticking out.

This will also hurt support. Attendance is already down but its always down for a losing program let alone a perennial loser. The younger generation doesn't support things they way those before them did (I blame loan debt) so the life loyal alumni will eventually die off or lose interest because they don't understand how a perennial power is now a perennial doormat. And we all know the PASSHE schools do a terrible job explaining themselves or their circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by playersdad View Post

Maybe, depends on which direction they choose to go. I know of at least one name that plans to apply that would be a great long term option that would bring plenty of experience and stability with him. Also a few interesting young guns that plan to throw their name into the ring that would fit your description above. Just depends on what they choose to do. The one thing I'll say is if I was coach looking to move up into a HC job and turn a program around there is no better time to do so. The death by portal scenario that everyone keeps referring to is also a big opportunity. With the financial log jam the covid year has created and the portal blowing up the options are endless. couple that with Juco kids and high school seniors and you have a massive pull of talent to quickly impact your roster if you do so wisely, 1 year could make a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I think the one thing that is being taken out of context a bit with the transfer thing is that the kids that hit the portal from Clarion did so due to the behind the scenes issues and actions (or lack thereof) that were taking place. Outside of a few that were either not going to see the field and knew it, which happens every year and a few grad transfers that wanted to explore new options, it was they took issue with the head guy there. A lot of these kids do not choose to move on if they are playing and having a good experience, even if the record is sub par.

Comment

Maybe, depends on which direction they choose to go. I know of at least one name that plans to apply that would be a great long term option that would bring plenty of experience and stability with him. Also a few interesting young guns that plan to throw their name into the ring that would fit your description above. Just depends on what they choose to do. The one thing I'll say is if I was coach looking to move up into a HC job and turn a program around there is no better time to do so. The death by portal scenario that everyone keeps referring to is also a big opportunity. With the financial log jam the covid year has created and the portal blowing up the options are endless. couple that with Juco kids and high school seniors and you have a massive pull of talent to quickly impact your roster if you do so wisely, 1 year could make a huge difference.
                            I'll be honest, I imagine Weibel was viewed similarly. However, realistically all good things do come to an end.

Comment

I think the one thing that is being taken out of context a bit with the transfer thing is that the kids that hit the portal from Clarion did so due to the behind the scenes issues and actions (or lack thereof) that were taking place. Outside of a few that were either not going to see the field and knew it, which happens every year and a few grad transfers that wanted to explore new options, it was they took issue with the head guy there. A lot of these kids do not choose to move on if they are playing and having a good experience, even if the record is sub par.
                              Those players leaving for lack of PT is common and has always happened but is definitely easier with the simplicity of the TP. Losing starters who have made significant contributions is different altogether. Having picked up 1 WR (from BLOOM) and 1 OL (from LHU) who may end up starting, CAL is on the opposite end of the TP. Undoubtedly some back-ups will also leave the Valley, but that's to be expected. Optimism is always a good thing but reality has to figure in at some point.

Comment

I'll be honest, I imagine Weibel was viewed similarly. However, realistically all good things do come to an end.
                                Right and he was, remember though, leaving for another opportunity and being asked to leave are 2 different things.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X