Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarion HC

Clarion has parted ways with head coach Chris Weibel, official release to follow. They'll be opening up the search immediately. Not sure what kind of interest they'll get but I think candidates will be pleasantly surprised to see the funding they'll have to work with. most numbers that I've seen floating around are a little dated.

official announcement in link below, very brief.

Football Announces Changes to Coaching Staff - Clarion University Athletics (clariongoldeneagles.com)

Comment

Why did they wait so long to do it ... if they planned on doing it? They lost a lot of valuable time.

Dec. 21 ... that's cold.

Comment

Originally posted by CUlater View Post
        Like Lock Haven, they plan to move in a "new direction."

Comment

I don't know where the magic beans were stored all these years if they suddenly can be brought out for Weibel's successor.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            I don't know where the magic beans were stored all these years if they suddenly can be brought out for Weibel's successor.

I don't think they had a choice. He was 0-11 and just about every good player in the program left town -- several during the season.

Whomever they hire won't do any better. But, they probably needed some fresh blood.

Comment

Originally posted by CUlater View Post
              Clarion has parted ways with head coach Chris Weibel, official release to follow. They'll be opening up the search immediately. Not sure what kind of interest they'll get but I think candidates will be pleasantly surprised to see the funding they'll have to work with. most numbers that I've seen floating around are a little dated.
              No place to go but up. However, as people like the Ville have found out, it's a tough climb back to respectability. That's likely why this had to be done, to not let things get any worse with all the portal players. I hope they don't just stay inside and bump someone up in a losing program.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don't think they had a choice. He was 0-11 and just about every good player in the program left town -- several during the season.

Whomever they hire won't do any better. But, they probably needed some fresh blood.
                OP says there will be more funding. From where? Why wasn't it there before?

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post

No place to go but up. However, as people like the Ville have found out, it's a tough climb back to respectability. That's likely why this had to be done, to not let things get any worse with all the portal players. I hope they don't just stay inside and bump someone up in a losing program.
                  The transfer portal is going to be a stake in the heart to a lot of borderline programs. I certainly don't have the stats but it feels like the numbers entering the TP,. especially from the Clarions of the D2 world, are growing by leaps and bounds. Other than a regular paycheck, at least for a year, I've no idea why a decent coach would put himself through that meat grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Like Lock Haven, they plan to move in a "new direction."
                    The wishbone and wing t will be coming back big time to the PSAC.

Comment

I think most likely new HC will be an internal promotion, tough with the timing for next year's recruiting class. Some names from around the area that may throw a resume on the table that are former players:

Andrew Moore
                      Tyler Huether Mike Deitrick
                      JJ Eckels
                      Andrew Fragale
                      Kyle Bish James Ferguson

Comment

Bring back Malen Luke!!

Comment

Andrew Fragale shouldn't be considered for a head coaching job just yet. But he'd be a good hire for Clarion or Lock Haven in a defensive role. He's from Emporium so he could be valuable in mining all the small D9 schools in north central PA.
                          Last edited by Fightingscot82; 12-22-2021, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Tate Gregory to Clarion.

Chris Weibel to IUP as OC.

Call it a fair trade.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              Why did they wait so long to do it ... if they planned on doing it? They lost a lot of valuable time.

Dec. 21 ... that's cold.
                              From my understanding without something egregious coaches are reviewed by the AD at the conclusion of their season. And its not the Monday after. So that's some of the delay.

But I've been told that Weibel still had 1 or 2 years remaining, so he was bought out. If so, then the timing isn't so bad and provides him with a cushion until he figures out his next steps. He'll get a lump sum for unpaid salary, a payout for unused PTO (plus what he would have earned had he worked), retirement contributions and the university share of health care to buy into COBRA for the remainder of his contract. This is based on what Edinboro had to do to end the Scott Browning era back in 2015. If so, Weibel will most likely make the PennLive list of highest paid state employees next year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X