Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I disagree. It's not like the key to getting to the NFL is winning college games. No scout is going to say "let's sign this guy because his team went 9-2 and that other guy went 7-4." It's about what you can do as a player.

If he stays at Shepherd, will his stock rise at all? Maybe a little bit.

I think if he goes D1 and plays well, his NFL stock would rise higher because it shows he can do it against better competition. He's already shredded the PSAC. What does doing it again prove? Unless, as I said in an earlier post, his right-hand-to-God goal is to win a national championship at Shepherd and the NFL is secondary.

I personally don't think his stock will go up at all if he stays -- I have a strong feeling that he is looking at what offensive support is left after this year and it's not too promising -- unless, they kill it in the portal themselves and we/he won't know for some time what that picture will look like. He may be thinking there is no way I can put up numbers or even close to the numbers I did this year with what's left heading into next year. Not that it will matter, but there is one Shepherd/WVU connection - Coach Casteel who was a DC with Shepherd many....many....many years ago is a Senior Analyst (Defense) --

Comment

Do you feel this way about all transfers?

Comment

I concede that's possible. But the team's success also depends a lot on the parts around the QB.

Quiz time: What do Mitch Trubisky, Daniel Jones, and Jared Goff have in common, in addition to being first-round draft picks?
        Answer: Their teams went 8-5 their final season in college.

Conversely, Central Florida went 12-1 with Blake Bortles in 2013, and the next spring he went No. 3 overall. That didn't end so well for the Jags.
        I thought the answer to Quiz Time was they are all awful NFL QBs and boarderline draft busts.

Comment

If he was leaving Shepherd for another D2 school ... I could relate.

But, he's already said if it's not the right P5 offer then he isn't leaving. I think Shepherd more than got its investment back in him.

Keep in mind we saw a very high-profile transfer go 'up' last year in basketball. Dale Bonner went from Fairmont State to defending national champion Baylor.

So ... don't take the message boards as the final word. He's going to get some offers.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

But, he's already said if it's not the right P5 offer then he isn't leaving. I think Shepherd more than got its investment back in him.

Keep in mind we saw a very high-profile transfer go 'up' last year in basketball. Dale Bonner went from Fairmont State to defending national champion Baylor.

So ... don't take the message boards as the final word. He's going to get some offers.
            Anybody know if he's on track to graduate. That would be another consideration for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

The entire country got run over by Ferris. It wasn't just Shepherd and Bagent. They beat the piss out of everyone in the playoffs.
              Except for 7-4 Saggy Valley who lost to the Bulldogs 45-47 in OT in Big Rapids. I'd really like to see that game because that's close to Duke challenging BAMA in scale.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I hope he gets everything he wants. The one thing I don't want to see is for him to go to a P5 program and not start. If he's leaving, I hope the next school is already planning on him as the man.

Folks, while we all appreciate D-II football more than most and know how good it is, it's still a huge jump to FBS.
                Yeah, I think the Winston Eubanks year at Penn State illustrated that. I guess he can say he suited up for a P5 program now, but I can't think getting two yards for a season after being the man at Ship could have been easy.

Football, like most sports is a game of levels. When I played tennis in my younger days it always struck me how I could beat someone 6-2, someone would beat me 6-2, then someone would beat THAT guy 6-2, and so on up the ladder until you get to the top few in the world who beat everyone 6-2. For that matter most people don't realize what a jump it is from high school to Division II. There are plenty of basketball players sitting on PSAC benches who were 1,000-point scorers or better in high school.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

100%... as a fan it's a blower. But there is no hate, he's done more for the program arguably than anyone who's played there. If everything that he's said in public since he entered the portal is true, then he's doing exactly what he should be doing. Hopefully he's not holding out for bama and LSU though, there are a few other more local opportunities that would be worth it as well.

WVU, IMO, should bring him in and give him the nod for at least games 1-3. If it doesn't work, shut it down so he can redshirt and go finish the last year either back at Shepherd or find another spot to do the last year. Very little to lose here for WVU, a lot to gain in letting their true freshman stud marinate for a year and promote a local WV star.

I hope their idiots as usual though, and he comes back and sets every D2 record there is for QB's. Go Rams!

Comment

100%... as a fan it's a blower. But there is no hate, he's done more for the program arguably than anyone who's played there. If everything that he's said in public since he entered the portal is true, then he's doing exactly what he should be doing. Hopefully he's not holding out for bama and LSU though, there are a few other more local opportunities that would be worth it as well.

WVU, IMO, should bring him in and give him the nod for at least games 1-3. If it doesn't work, shut it down so he can redshirt and go finish the last year either back at Shepherd or find another spot to do the last year. Very little to lose here for WVU, a lot to gain in letting their true freshman stud marinate for a year and promote a local WV star.

I hope their idiots as usual though, and he comes back and sets every D2 record there is for QB's. Go Rams!
                    With the latest WVU coaching news - My prediction is Jaxson Dart follows Graham Harrell to WVU.

Comment

If he gets a solid G5 offer I would say he should explore that opportunity. As previously said scouts notice them more than D2 QB's. He won't improve his draft status staying at SU another season. If he stayed it's for personal reasons like the bond/respect for the program, coaches and his teammates. If he has pro aspirations he has nothing to lose moving up to a FBS program. Hell I'd love to see him go to Temple I'm not sold on the returning starting QB

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                        If he gets a solid G5 offer I would say he should explore that opportunity. As previously said scouts notice them more than D2 QB's. He won't improve his draft status staying at SU another season. If he stayed it's for personal reasons like the bond/respect for the program, coaches and his teammates. If he has pro aspirations he has nothing to lose moving up to a FBS program. Hell I'd love to see him go to Temple I'm not sold on the returning starting QB
                        I totally agree - If Marshall comes knocking, he should jump on that opportunity. With their QB transferring to VT - I'm not too sure if they are sold on the 'next one up' at QB. Heck, they've had two pretty good QBs (Byron & Chad) make it to the next level --

Comment

Is he a graduate transfer or simply entering the portal?

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                            Is he a graduate transfer or simply entering the portal?
                            I'm guessing he doesn't graduate until the end of this spring semester. This is his 4th year at the University. If he's on the 4 year plan.

Comment

I'm guessing he doesn't graduate until the end of this spring semester. This is his 4th year at the University. If he's on the 4 year plan.
                              He lost some key time in this process by announcing kind of late. I'm sure most P5 programs interested would have much preferred to have him on campus for Spring Ball. If it happens very quickly it could still be possible, as, well, exceptions for top recruits are often made behind the scenes.

Comment

Tough to transfer to a P5 when no P5 will tell a d2 QB the job is yours. If he doesnt drop his expectations to a G5 he will be at Shepherd. G5 is still unlikely to say come start here when I'd assume there are a ton of P5 QB's in the portal.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X