Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is the LB Boro lost last year that BigDawg1 is referring to? Anyone know where he went?

Comment

Originally posted by BoroLetterman1 View Post
      Who is the LB Boro lost last year that BigDawg1 is referring to? Anyone know where he went?
      Saige Ley from Seneca Valley. Transferred to Lenoir Rhyne. His family moved from Cranberry Twp to South Carolina so its not really on Edinboro as much as it appears.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg1 View Post
        Edinboro is in a tough situation this year and if they have a team in a couple of years. They have a solid QB and receivers but outside of that not much. Lost most of the O line due to graduation and transfers … lost back up RB who was a beast due to grades. Lost the entire starting D line, LB who was their best player to transfer and 3of 4 starters in secondary. Being they beat a team 10-7 in game 1 but that team was 1-20 the last 2 years. The defense gave up almost 600 yards this week and 400 on the ground ! Not looking good anytime soon.
        I don't think you realize how good their incoming freshmen and some transfers they brought in are. And if you watched both games. The first game they dominated the game but unfortunately the scoreboard didn't reflect it. Franklin Pierce had a QB that started 3 games at FBS Western Kentucky and returning all American RB 1200 yard rusher and contained then. And if you look at Franklin Pierce games last year they were in 1 or 2 score games with a couple playoff teams although they were 0-10. Playing 1st game for team with mostly freshman and Sophomores travelling 9.5 hours on road then travel 4.5 - 5 hrs to the Number 1 team in Region and #5 in nation and that game was a lot closer then score indicated. 5 trips inside 10 and another inside 20., which considering the youth and travelling is pretty good. Let's see how they do rest of schedule before claiming they are "in trouble" or might not have a team
        Last edited by CoachMalpica; 09-14-2022, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I agree that Edinboro is sneakily talented. That was clearly evident last year as they hung with almost everyone they played. However, you can only do so much with 9 scholarships. You lose depth. This is a great recruiting core of coaches - but as it was said unless you start accumulating wins or even show signs of being close, you'll lose guys if they have a reason to go. They have a good QB and some good skill guys - but the weakness is the youth & inexperience on their lines. They'll get run over on any team who can run and the QB will have to take a lot more chances so he can dump the ball before the rush arrives. And as we've learned before - if a coach finds success they'll leave (with players jumping too). Similar to being a low revenue MLB team, the margin for error is so slim.

I really like Nulph. I know other schools do too. Nulph & his coordinators seem like great people and they're attracting quality recruits that I'm not sure would have considered Edinboro. There's a freshman on the team who I've known since he was little and he chose Edinboro because he and his parents couldn't be happier with Nulph, Papley, & DeMaio. To me, that's a good sign. Just gotta find a way to somehow find more scholarship dollars.

Comment

I thought FP outplayed them in the first half. Didnt watch much of the 2nd half.

I thought Shepherd played sloppy but couldve scored as much as they wanted. But the Boro QB and Watkins and Standfield are good. Afreenee Williams too if the OL lets him show it.
            Another game I watched the first half. Shepherd couldve scored on every possession. Just a little sloppy. Some penalties also helped keep the Boro O on the field. Hard to know what to take from a game like this when a huge favorite is up big and going through the motions especially in the 2nd half.

This week with Bloom is a good gauge. The Bloom 2 deep looks very similar youth wise to Boro except Bloom has a FR QB. Should be winnable.

Comment

The toughest recruiting job of this offseason will be convincing the QB, 2 wr's, and RB to stay and play behind this OL. No run blocking. QB is under pressure every play. Shepherd was more understandable. Bloom not so much. If the QB has time that game probably wouldnt have been close. Bloom's O was pretty ugly.

Bloom's D even had to stop the Boro O 2x on the one possession into Bloom territory because after the sack that stopped the drive...bloom was called for an unsportsmanlike penalty That was a crazy series and couldnt get anything even with the gift from Bloom.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                The toughest recruiting job of this offseason will be convincing the QB, 2 wr's, and RB to stay and play behind this OL. No run blocking. QB is under pressure every play. Shepherd was more understandable. Bloom not so much. If the QB has time that game probably wouldnt have been close. Bloom's O was pretty ugly.

Bloom's D even had to stop the Boro O 2x on the one possession into Bloom territory because after the sack that stopped the drive...bloom was called for an unsportsmanlike penalty That was a crazy series and couldnt get anything even with the gift from Bloom.
                Agreed O line is weak point right now losing Williams at RB in 1st half of Shepherd game also has hurt running game, hopefully he will return in 1-2 more weeks from shoulder injury. But like most other positions on team very young only 1 upperclassman starting on Oline with 2 Freshmen and 2 Sophomores. Still found way to win with 6 turnovers, 5 fumbles (1 by Def. Player after INT) and an INT. Defense has been on point saving them a lot so far. To be fair Bloomsburg offense I feel "looked ugly" because of Papley's defense stepping up. Story of year so far has been untimely Offensive turnovers, last in PSAC in Rushing, RedZone efficiency last in PSAC. Yet they are 3rd in time of possession somehow, 3rd in passing and defensively 2nd in PSAC against the pass unfortunately the rushing game Shepherd had last week with 3 long TDs by Brown another 70 plus yard run in garbage time by backup skewed their total rushing defense numbers. No delusions here like thinking they are going to beat Cal this week or compete for PSAC West this year but as each game goes by these super young players will only get better(All Starting Offensive skill players Soph or Fresh. and All Fresh and Soph on defense with 2 Jr 1 Sr and In total O and D only 2 Seniors and 2 Juniors start and rest all Fresh and Soph) They will be a tough out each game and if the offense continues to improve efficiency a couple of upsets may be brewing. Either way as long as they stay together this could be a team to look out for in next couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachMalpica View Post

Agreed O line is weak point right now losing Williams at RB in 1st half of Shepherd game also has hurt running game, hopefully he will return in 1-2 more weeks from shoulder injury. But like most other positions on team very young only 1 upperclassman starting on Oline with 2 Freshmen and 2 Sophomores. Still found way to win with 6 turnovers, 5 fumbles (1 by Def. Player after INT) and an INT. Defense has been on point saving them a lot so far. To be fair Bloomsburg offense I feel "looked ugly" because of Papley's defense stepping up. Story of year so far has been untimely Offensive turnovers, last in PSAC in Rushing, RedZone efficiency last in PSAC. Yet they are 3rd in time of possession somehow, 3rd in passing and defensively 2nd in PSAC against the pass unfortunately the rushing game Shepherd had last week with 3 long TDs by Brown another 70 plus yard run in garbage time by backup skewed their total rushing defense numbers. No delusions here like thinking they are going to beat Cal this week or compete for PSAC West this year but as each game goes by these super young players will only get better(All Starting Offensive skill players Soph or Fresh. and All Fresh and Soph on defense with 2 Jr 1 Sr and In total O and D only 2 Seniors and 2 Juniors start and rest all Fresh and Soph) They will be a tough out each game and if the offense continues to improve efficiency a couple of upsets may be brewing. Either way as long as they stay together this could be a team to look out for in next couple years.

Its fair to give credit to D for sure...but talking about Boro youth....Bloom had 8 sophomores and 1 freshman QB starting on Offense. QB being the most important. Thier Defense was similar I think had 3 freshman....2 of them DL. It was a good matchup to gauge where things are.

But Bloom is a sub .500 program currently. FP might not win a game again this year and Bloom is probably looking at 3-8 or 4-7

Thats part of what jumps out to me about the offensive issues is 2 of those 3 games were Franklin Pierce and Bloom. 3 games and basically 3 td's scored not counting the 2nd td vs bloom that was a 3 yd td drive. 3 long td passes and no other TD"s against that schedule is hard to imagine.

With the schedule you can pretty much give Boro 4 wins minimum right now with Lock Haven and Clarion. Seton hill has a tough D but nothing on offense at the moment. Mercyhurst has a more experienced roster but avg at best QB play. So that puts them in play for an upset if the Hurst QB struggles and the Boro QB goes for 350 plus.

The youth makes it an interesting season to watch it play out though.

Comment

Season was frustrating at times but still a one game improvement over last year with what I'd argue is a less talented and experienced team. Probably should have been 6-5 if the Seton Hill game had gone to plan. Clearly lots of youth (only 6 seniors) that hopefully should improve. Winning 5 games when you're starting a handful of true freshmen and several others new to the team is impressive.

Being an also-ran in the PSAC means that the better players are always a threat to transfer. Hopefully Nulph can keep everyone focused and happy until August.

I've seen dozens of recruiting visits but only a handful of offers. Looking forward to following along from afar.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                      Season was frustrating at times but still a one game improvement over last year with what I'd argue is a less talented and experienced team. Probably should have been 6-5 if the Seton Hill game had gone to plan. Clearly lots of youth (only 6 seniors) that hopefully should improve. Winning 5 games when you're starting a handful of true freshmen and several others new to the team is impressive.

Being an also-ran in the PSAC means that the better players are always a threat to transfer. Hopefully Nulph can keep everyone focused and happy until August.

I've seen dozens of recruiting visits but only a handful of offers. Looking forward to following along from afar.
                      A lot of teams, including Ship, fielded youthful lineups this year and sometimes paid the price on the field. Some of that I attribute to the pandemic disrupting recruiting. As you say, when you have young players and have had a down season it gets a little scary as to build the team you need to retain your better prospects. Ship has been a program over the years that has had up and down periods, but now there's a worry that a down period could become extended if you can't retain your best players to rebuild the team. For the PSAC to be a competitive league, you don't want to get to the point where the bottom clubs basically become feeders for the more powerful ones. It'll be interesting to see how it develops.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

A lot of teams, including Ship, fielded youthful lineups this year and sometimes paid the price on the field. Some of that I attribute to the pandemic disrupting recruiting. As you say, when you have young players and have had a down season it gets a little scary as to build the team you need to retain your better prospects. Ship has been a program over the years that has had up and down periods, but now there's a worry that a down period could become extended if you can't retain your best players to rebuild the team. For the PSAC to be a competitive league, you don't want to get to the point where the bottom clubs basically become feeders for the more powerful ones. It'll be interesting to see how it develops.
                        Shepherd is pretty young as well this year. They only seem to be losing 12 seniors/graduate players, of which 7 are starters and 2 others are rotational players. Some of those 12 are listed as juniors on the Roster sheet so perhaps they come back although it seems like those 12 were intending on this being their last year. If they can replace Bagent (big ask), then I'd think they should be able to contend again for a PSAC championship.

Roster breakdown by class off team site:
                        -Senior/Graduates: 11
                        -Juniors: 9
                        -Sophomores: 27
                        -Freshman/Redshirt Freshman: 64

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Sounds a lot like MLB. This has long been a problem in the PSAC. The Portal Era is just going to make it much worse.

I mean if you slog through a year at Lock Haven (for example) and get blown out 8-9 times but individually you are able to put some good film together ... the lure of the Portal is going to be pretty strong. The power teams in our conference are now primarily shopping for D2 transfers (the market for D1 transfers isn't near what it used be now that they don't have to sit out).

Not too mention the all-important dollar in this equation. Said player at Lock Haven could be there taking beatings -- all the while paying most of his own tab. You get some nice film and hit the open market. The IUP's, Shepherd's, SRU's may just come calling. All the sudden you're on the team giving the beatings and perhaps receiving more money.

I get hope springs eternal and all that happy crap. But, every coach they hire at Lock Haven comes in there with some degree of pedigree. They don't all suddenly forget how to coach football. I just don't think it's possible to win there (and some other places in the league).

The PSAC is made up of the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox on one end. And, the Pirates, A's and Royals on the other end. The middle-ground (Edinboro types) also need to guard the gates from the poachers.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Sounds a lot like MLB. This has long been a problem in the PSAC. The Portal Era is just going to make it much worse.

I mean if you slog through a year at Lock Haven (for example) and get blown out 8-9 times but individually you are able to put some good film together ... the lure of the Portal is going to be pretty strong. The power teams in our conference are now primarily shopping for D2 transfers (the market for D1 transfers isn't near what it used be now that they don't have to sit out).

Not too mention the all-important dollar in this equation. Said player at Lock Haven could be there taking beatings -- all the while paying most of his own tab. You get some nice film and hit the open market. The IUP's, Shepherd's, SRU's may just come calling. All the sudden you're on the team giving the beatings and perhaps receiving more money.

I get hope springs eternal and all that happy crap. But, every coach they hire at Lock Haven comes in there with some degree of pedigree. They don't all suddenly forget how to coach football. I just don't think it's possible to win there (and some other places in the league).

The PSAC is made up of the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox on one end. And, the Pirates, A's and Royals on the other end. The middle-ground (Edinboro types) also need to guard the gates from the poachers.
                            Fortunately from the conference perspective, this dynamic won't affect membership. We're the best option for nearly all member schools. When the GLIAC was dominated by Grand Valley State for years, some schools found more appealing options if they could make them work financially. I think it overall hurt the GLIAC as a conference. That doesn't mean you lower the ceiling on the top schools - but you can't eat yourself to death (like Pizza the Hutt).

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Shepherd is pretty young as well this year. They only seem to be losing 12 seniors/graduate players, of which 7 are starters and 2 others are rotational players. Some of those 12 are listed as juniors on the Roster sheet so perhaps they come back although it seems like those 12 were intending on this being their last year. If they can replace Bagent (big ask), then I'd think they should be able to contend again for a PSAC championship.

Roster breakdown by class off team site:
                              -Senior/Graduates: 11
                              -Juniors: 9
                              -Sophomores: 27
                              -Freshman/Redshirt Freshman: 64
                              As far as I can determine by looking at rosters, Ship only had about 3 seniors this season, and only two of them started. Barring transfer losses, they'll return a lot of kids who got extensive playing time this season. On defense some of the freshmen linemen such as Jake Hines and Jeremiah Carothers exhibited a lot of potential upside. They should be solid at linebacker next year, too. Biggest problem is that two of those graduating come from the running back room, which wasn't deep to begin with. Mac is either going to have to pluck somebody out of the transfer portal or recruit a stud freshman for them to have much of a running game next year. Also, largely due to injuries, the QB competition wasn't really settled this season. Joey McCracken and Sam Johnson initially were battling for the position, but by the last few games it was down to a third freshman, Evan Falco, who was a pleasant surprise in some areas. The good thing is that all the Ship QBs got snaps this season, but the negative thing is that none of them got in a full season. I think Mac is about one good recruiting class away from getting Ship back on keel, but he'll have to shore up a couple of weak spots and minimize transfer losses to avoid another losing season.

I have no doubt Shepherd will be competitive again. The rest of the division needs to pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'm about at the point where I think Lock Haven, like Mansfield and Cheyney before them, is a hopeless case for D2 football. It's not just due to the current D2 football climate. Lock Haven's last decent stretch of football was in the late '70s and early '80s under Jack Fisher when they won a PSAC championship in '79 and had a winning record in '81. I don't believe they've had a winning record since that '81 team (which as hard as it is to believe now beat IUP, 41-14, and gave a PSAC champion Ship team a tough game) and most years they haven't won more than a game or two. That's a four-decade stretch of bad football — might be time to hang up the cleats. I'm not quite ready to give up on anyone else yet, but I think it's going to be tough to be consistently good at Clarion and Edinboro, mostly because of their proximity to two of the league's more consistently strong programs in IUP and The Rock. In the East, I see no reason why Kutztown and West Chester can't be competitive, Ship has shown they can hang in, and Millersville and ESU have showed signs of life recently. Bloom is only a few years removed from being one of the PSAC's premier programs, but I worry a little that the PASSHE realignment might affect perception of them to an extent. We shall see.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X