Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shippensburg 2022

So my fellow Red Raider fans and followers what's the thoughts on the 2022 season. We had a great 2021 season as most of us expected 6 and at tops 7 wins but we won the games we were supposed to and then Bloomsburg and ESU took steps backwards allowing us to finish 3rd in the East behind Kutztown and Shepherd. The Rams demolished us but Kutztown with a few breaks we could have won that game as we lost 20-3. We return a good nucleus but one concerning thing is the assistant coaches. RB Coach & TE Coach Anthony Johnson is now at Lafayette he also was the recruiting coordinator, Shane Gaines the DB coach left for Susquehanna for a full time staff position as DB coach, STC, Defense Passing Game Coordinator. Shane was responsible for getting the DMV talent and Anthony did a solid job finding transfers. I'm interested in seeing who Coach Mac brings in to replace them both...

I have zero inside knowledge about the program, but enjoy attending the games. Obviously, job No. 1 will be replacing Mussina at QB. I understand they have a former Warwick High star transferring in, and there should be some other options in the QB room. Will be quite a battle in the spring. They'll also have to replace a couple of ends. Sheehan had a good freshman year that year. The running game was inconsistent. I don't believe the current spread formations with the sidecar running back arrangement usually lend themselves to a strong running game, unless you have a very exceptional offensive line, but that seems to be what most people are running.

It was a good season last year coming out of one in which nobody played, but Ship seems to get outmuscled in the trenches recently when they come up against the top-tier teams. I don't know that we were really in that Kutztown game as they stoned our offense. Ship had something like 140 total yards that game. The turnover in the coaching the last couple of years hasn't helped, especially since the addition of Shepherd to the Eastern Division plus the loss of a Cheyney team that had basically become an automatic win means that most of the Eastern teams need to step up their recruiting game. East Stroud showed some progress last season, West Chester had some talented young players, and we can't expect Bloom to be down forever. I'll be interested when the signing list comes out, which I guess won't be long now.

I thought we had several promising young players on the defensive side of the ball, especially in the back seven.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
      I have zero inside knowledge about the program, but enjoy attending the games. Obviously, job No. 1 will be replacing Mussina at QB. I understand they have a former Warwick High star transferring in, and there should be some other options in the QB room. Will be quite a battle in the spring. They'll also have to replace a couple of ends. Sheehan had a good freshman year that year. The running game was inconsistent. I don't believe the current spread formations with the sidecar running back arrangement usually lend themselves to a strong running game, unless you have a very exceptional offensive line, but that seems to be what most people are running.

It was a good season last year coming out of one in which nobody played, but Ship seems to get outmuscled in the trenches recently when they come up against the top-tier teams. I don't know that we were really in that Kutztown game as they stoned our offense. Ship had something like 140 total yards that game. The turnover in the coaching the last couple of years hasn't helped, especially since the addition of Shepherd to the Eastern Division plus the loss of a Cheyney team that had basically become an automatic win means that most of the Eastern teams need to step up their recruiting game. East Stroud showed some progress last season, West Chester had some talented young players, and we can't expect Bloom to be down forever. I'll be interested when the signing list comes out, which I guess won't be long now.

I thought we had several promising young players on the defensive side of the ball, especially in the back seven.
      Mussina graduated but still has a year of eligibility to use if he wishes to play out his career while obtaining his Masters Degree. Haven't heard of him trying the portal so I would think he'd return for his R-Senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

Mussina graduated but still has a year of eligibility to use if he wishes to play out his career while obtaining his Masters Degree. Haven't heard of him trying the portal so I would think he'd return for his R-Senior year.
        Oh nice, this is a big year for Ship. Establish a nice foundation with one more year of Mussina there.

Why again did they have him benched for the first part of last year? Or am I not remembering that correctly?

Comment

Haven't heard anything about his plans. Perhaps someone else knows. Obviously would depend on whether he wants to do the grad thing or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Oh nice, this is a big year for Ship. Establish a nice foundation with one more year of Mussina there.

Why again did they have him benched for the first part of last year? Or am I not remembering that correctly?
            They basically had him sitting for about the first 20 minutes of the opening game and that was it. Looked as if Mac might have wanted to light a fire under him. After leading them to a win in the opener, he started the final 10 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

They basically had him sitting for about the first 20 minutes of the opening game and that was it. Looked as if Mac might have wanted to light a fire under him. After leading them to a win in the opener, he started the final 10 games.
              It was probably a violation of team rules during summer camp or maybe during spring sessions. Mac runs a tight ship and nobody is exempt from being suspended even if it's a half.game suspension. I remember John Kuhn being suspended for the first half of the season opening game in 2004 due to an off field issue.

Comment

It was probably a violation of team rules during summer camp or maybe during spring sessions. Mac runs a tight ship and nobody is exempt from being suspended even if it's a half.game suspension. I remember John Kuhn being suspended for the first half of the season opening game in 2004 due to an off field issue.
                Could be. I have no information. Would be nice to have Mussina back if he decides to use his last year of eligibility. I'll really be interested in seeing the signings in February.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X