Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
    If you're not a HC you're not making much $$ as a D2 coach. I think most coordinators are topping out at $60k unless they are teachers within the system and can add that to their salaries. I wonder how many HC openings did he interview for in the last few years.
    I think he interviewed for frostburg st this past cycle. Good luck to him, and hope he gets what he needs/wants for his family.

Comment

If you're not a HC you're not making much $$ as a D2 coach. I think most coordinators are topping out at $60k unless they are teachers within the system and can add that to their salaries. I wonder how many HC openings did he interview for in the last few years.
      If you've been around for a while, that number can get up there. Cal and maybe IUP have had coordinators north of $90k in years past. But you're right, $60k is about the max - and even then, the last Cheyney head coach wasn't even making that in an area with a high cost of living. Plus WV salaries tend to be lower than PASSHE.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

If you've been around for a while, that number can get up there. Cal and maybe IUP have had coordinators north of $90k in years past. But you're right, $60k is about the max - and even then, the last Cheyney head coach wasn't even making that in an area with a high cost of living. Plus WV salaries tend to be lower than PASSHE.

IUP -- I think -- has two long-term assistants rights now making decent money (Camp and Smith). Of course, they've been here forever.

But, that's the life in the minor leagues. For the vast majority of assistants at this level ... it's here today and gone tomorrow. Name of the game is to keep moving up (follow the money). Those who don't move up rejoin the 'real world' and leave football.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP -- I think -- has two long-term assistants rights now making decent money (Camp and Smith). Of course, they've been here forever.

But, that's the life in the minor leagues. For the vast majority of assistants at this level ... it's here today and gone tomorrow. Name of the game is to keep moving up (follow the money). Those who don't move up rejoin the 'real world' and leave football.

Life in the minor leagues is tough. SRU doesnt pay well either. The non-coordinators all shack up with each other and get paid next to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by RockNation View Post

Life in the minor leagues is tough. SRU doesnt pay well either. The non-coordinators all shack up with each other and get paid next to nothing.
            With attendance averaging 3,000-4,000 (if that) at many schools and few of the perks the big guys get (television contracts, etc.), there's only so much most schools will be able to pay people. I'm actually surprised some D2 coaches make as much as they do. It is rough if you're an assistant, but if you're a single guy or someone who has a spouse with a decent job you can probably make a go of it at many places. Ship has a couple of assistants who've been around for a long time, as do other schools in the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

With attendance averaging 3,000-4,000 (if that) at many schools and few of the perks the big guys get (television contracts, etc.), there's only so much most schools will be able to pay people. I'm actually surprised some D2 coaches make as much as they do. It is rough if you're an assistant, but if you're a single guy or someone who has a spouse with a decent job you can probably make a go of it at many places. Ship has a couple of assistants who've been around for a long time, as do other schools in the conference.

Yeah ... if you're young and single ... it's a good gig. There are worse places to live in your 20s than in a college town. I'd assume most have some form of a second job, too.

A lot of it is timing. And, most of it is connections.

Look at Curt Cignetti. Several of his guys from his IUP and Elon days are now at James Madison with him. From a power program like JM, getting the next better job will be all the easier.

Seems to make it in the business you need a little bit of luck to go along with good timing -- and, a hell of a lot of patience to go along with constant moving around the country.

Comment

Do you think Curt got a sizable raise when JMU went to FBS?

Comment

Originally posted by ShepFan1 View Post
                  Do you think Curt got a sizable raise when JMU went to FBS?
                  U would Think more work 63 to 85 schollies.

Comment

Looks like Shepherd hosted a junior day for local high schools. Lot of action on twitter thanking Coach McCook and Coach Ramal for having them there. Looks to have been well attended. Bowie State does it as well, so important to stay the course with your main competition in recruiting!

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                      Looks like Shepherd hosted a junior day for local high schools. Lot of action on twitter thanking Coach McCook and Coach Ramal for having them there. Looks to have been well attended. Bowie State does it as well, so important to stay the course with your main competition in recruiting!
                      FCS and D2 schools have started promoting Junior day heavily this spring to get 23 recruits on campus early. I think it's a great marketing tool and helps recruiting to have kids on campus before they reject an offer they've seen the team compete as well as judge if they'd fit in with the culture rather than get an offer after the season ends and you're on visits after the season when you can't judge how close the team really is and how the coaching staff interacts/coaches. My kid is an FCS/D2 23 recruit and we have a visit next weekend down at WVWC that he's amped about. His coaches are also taking him and some other rising seniors to Maryland, Rutgers, local FCS and D2 schools.

Comment

FCS and D2 schools have started promoting Junior day heavily this spring to get 23 recruits on campus early. I think it's a great marketing tool and helps recruiting to have kids on campus before they reject an offer they've seen the team compete as well as judge if they'd fit in with the culture rather than get an offer after the season ends and you're on visits after the season when you can't judge how close the team really is and how the coaching staff interacts/coaches. My kid is an FCS/D2 23 recruit and we have a visit next weekend down at WVWC that he's amped about. His coaches are also taking him and some other rising seniors to Maryland, Rutgers, local FCS and D2 schools.
                        Good luck to your son! WVWC is certainly not my flavor, but it is definitely an exciting time to be doing these types of things. Hope he has a great senior season this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Good luck to your son! WVWC is certainly not my flavor, but it is definitely an exciting time to be doing these types of things. Hope he has a great senior season this fall!
                          Thanks. They were terrible to say the least but he's just excited to have interest, the other schools are larger and of course aren't pursuing him like WVWC however I told him enjoy the process and you never know your recruiting coach could end up at a larger school so don't burn any bridges or relationships and keep an open mind.

Comment

Thanks. They were terrible to say the least but he's just excited to have interest, the other schools are larger and of course aren't pursuing him like WVWC however I told him enjoy the process and you never know your recruiting coach could end up at a larger school so don't burn any bridges or relationships and keep an open mind.
                            Just make sure he spends a weekend down in Buckhannon, WV, before signing the dotted line.

It's not quite Deliverance. Not quite.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Just make sure he spends a weekend down in Buckhannon, WV, before signing the dotted line.

It's not quite Deliverance. Not quite.
                              I suspect after our visit he will consider them as a fall back option while never showing he's not too interested in that place. My sister actually partied at that campus and said once he gets there he will say nah not my type of place lol. He loves Jackson State b/c of Coach Prime and for PA state schools we've talked with Ship, WCU, Kutztown and CIAA Bowie State. UD has started to show interest and we have visits for Maryland and Rutgers lined up as well as a MAC camp so hopefully he generates some committable offers prior to senior season. One great thing about Delaware football is they have a spring season where teams can have 2 games which helps seniors with film.

Comment

How many roster spots does Ernie have to work with??

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X