Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, tough finish. But another great season for Shepherd winning the Region again. That's 4 Region titles in the last 8 years. Losing some all timers from this senior class, but have a very strong nucleus coming back I think.

Offense:
    Big Losses- Tyson Bagent QB, Joey Fisher OT, Brian Walker TE, Mike McCook FB, Adam Stilley C

Some big names will not be there on the roster, but the cupboard is not bare. Should be an interesting QB battle between Lek Powell, Christian Etchison and maybe Sammy Roberts, unless they decide that a transfer guy would be needed to fill that role. I'd imagine it will draw some good interest in the transfer portal considering the success of the offense in the last 10 years at the QB position. The offense though will be led by RB Ronnie Brown, who is certainly the most explosive player in the region and possibly the entire country for D2. Offensive line should have at least 3 returning starters, and a very experienced group of WR's coming back with all the injuries endured at the position this year. Coach McCook is the OL guru, so I'd expect to have some good options there and a solid group thrown together and ready for the season.

Defense:
    Big Losses- Kyle Smith DE, Malik Holloway DE

Defense had tremendous improvement from 2021 this year and will return what looks to be at least 9 of 11 starters next year. The DT position could be the strongest it's been in some time with the return of Jurnee Dunbar, Matt Bednarski and Nathan Mule. Not to mention, losing presumed starter in preseason Jack Baxter to add to that rotation. The DE position is young, but there are some guys there in freshman Couser, Farmer, Bethea and Skaggs that should be able to step in and produce. The entire back 7 along with nearly all the rotation pcs come back as well. This should really be the strongest defense in the PSAC coming back.

Special Teams:
    Big Losses- Zach Frye LS

Return the kicker Jacob Haynie, who finished the year strong. Needs to keep working on consistency, XP's and anything inside 40 yards need to be automatic. Punter Ryan Barrick also listed as a sophmore, should return. Should be a solid tandem. Can't be understated how good Frye was though as a LS, incredibly reliable. Those guys are hard to find. The Rams nearly lost 2 years ago to ODU in the opener because they couldn't get a clean snap to the punter or kicker.

Comment

• I'd really like Shepherd to reach out to the likes of either Tiffin or Saginaw Valley to see about a home/home starting week 1 next year. They have week 1 open dates on the main page. Would be nice to play a team like Saginaw to start pushing the envelope a bit.

Or if Bowie State and Frostburg State would be ready for an annual series as well would be nice.
      Last edited by Ram040506; 12-15-2022, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
        I'd really like Shepherd to reach out to the likes of either Tiffin or Saginaw Valley to see about a home/home starting week 1 next year. They have week 1 open dates on the main page. Would be nice to play a team like Saginaw to start pushing the envelope a bit.

Or if Bowie State and Frostburg State would be ready for an annual series as well would be nice.
        Totally agree - we need to push the envelope a bit and expand recruiting. Every year, I ping the HC/AD to look at Va. Union and/or Va. State -- soooooooo much talent down in the 757 area and we are really missing out on a huge opportunity to recruit/have a footprint in the Richmond/Tidewater area(s).

Comment

• Originally posted by nova2wv View Post

Totally agree - we need to push the envelope a bit and expand recruiting. Every year, I ping the HC/AD to look at Va. Union and/or Va. State -- soooooooo much talent down in the 757 area and we are really missing out on a huge opportunity to recruit/have a footprint in the Richmond/Tidewater area(s).
          I'd guess that is a tricky area. The stars obviously all go major D1, but then you have a slew of "D1" programs to battle against ... the Norfolk State's and Morgan State's of the world, not to mention the D2s down there.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'd guess that is a tricky area. The stars obviously all go major D1, but then you have a slew of "D1" programs to battle against ... the Norfolk State's and Morgan State's of the world, not to mention the D2s down there.
            I'm seeing more and more of the NC (CIAA) teams/reps in the stands - creepy their way up. I've worked with a slew of the schools and so many of the kids want to leave the 'beach' for some reason? True - majority want to go to Tech, UVA, ODU, Richmond, W&M, NSU, HU, etc.. but these schools are really only after the top percent here and are recruiting out-of-state as well. Plenty of talent to go-around.

Comment

• Shepherd OC Tyler Haines has been named the head coach at Catawba. Congratulations to coach Haines and his family!

Thankfully the offense is pretty much McCook’s baby, but man OC’s and qb coaches have been flying through Shepherd the last 6-8 years.

Comment

• Well this is I think ill advised…

Ronnie Brown entering the NFL draft per Twitter.

joey fisher apparently also could have returned for another year, but is going into the draft as well per Twitter. Granted Joey is a bit older, so makes some sense.

Rams gonna be looking a lot different next year.

Comment

• Both are huge losses for Shepherd. I was looking forward to seeing what kind of numbers Ronnie Brown put up next year—a Harlon Hill contender no doubt.

Joey Fisher was listed as a Senior, but I didn’t realize he only played three seasons. I also didn’t realize the gap he had—according to his team bio, he graduated high school in 2016 but didn’t play for Shepherd until 2019 with no other schools listed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShepAlum View Post
                    Both are huge losses for Shepherd. I was looking forward to seeing what kind of numbers Ronnie Brown put up next year—a Harlon Hill contender no doubt.

Joey Fisher was listed as a Senior, but I didn’t realize he only played three seasons. I also didn’t realize the gap he had—according to his team bio, he graduated high school in 2016 but didn’t play for Shepherd until 2019 with no other schools listed.
                    The Draft is a bit extreme perhaps but there was no reason for RB to play another year in D2.

Comment

• Brown is another guy who’s older than his class (for lack of a better term) because of the COVID season. His bio at Shepherd says he started play there in 2019 which would make him a fourth year junior even without a redshirt. I’m not sure what kind of draft prospects he has coming from a weak league in a lower division but sticking it out another year would make him both somewhat old and still in a weak league.

Comment

The Draft is a bit extreme perhaps but there was no reason for RB to play another year in D2.
                        I don’t see any way Brown makes an NFL roster. I don’t say that with disrespect. He’s a very good D2 running back, but there are 100 like him in FBS and FCS. He’s not unique among that group. I’ll be happy to be wrong about that but I think he would have been much better served to enter the portal and try to catch on at a higher level to show what he can do. Kids are kids though and decisions don’t always make sense. Who knows who is in his ear.

When I was a student at IUP back in the best years of IUP football, I had friends on the team. A lot of them talked like they were going to be in the NFL. They believed it. I think it’s just a mindset a lot of kids have. You don’t want to crush dreams but you also have to be realistic. Chris Villarreal was the only one from that group, or ever for that matter, to go on and have a long (11 years) and productive NFL career. He was unique though and showed up to the combine and dominated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                          Well this is I think ill advised…

Ronnie Brown entering the NFL draft per Twitter.

joey fisher apparently also could have returned for another year, but is going into the draft as well per Twitter. Granted Joey is a bit older, so makes some sense.

Rams gonna be looking a lot different next year.
                          Different yes. However there is more talent waiting in the wings on that roster than most would know. Final 4 in the nation next year? Doubtful. Winning the PSAC East and playing in the PSAC Championship game again? Absolutely! As long as the opener is a manageable game, next year's Rams should expectantly finish 9-2 or at the very least 8-3 in a "rebuild " year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boro33 View Post

Different yes. However there is more talent waiting in the wings on that roster than most would know. Final 4 in the nation next year? Doubtful. Winning the PSAC East and playing in the PSAC Championship game again? Absolutely! As long as the opener is a manageable game, next year's Rams should expectantly finish 9-2 or at the very least 8-3 in a "rebuild " year.
                            Replacing 4 All American's on offense is a bit daunting. I agree there is some great talent in the backfield between Hartman and Holley, along with a couple freshman. Ronnie Brown was the most explosive player in Region 1 by a pretty sizable margin, that is not easily replaced.

Rams should still contend, but I as a fan was hoping he would be the focal point of the offense to carry a new qb for his senior year. Oh well!

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I don’t see any way Brown makes an NFL roster. I don’t say that with disrespect. He’s a very good D2 running back, but there are 100 like him in FBS and FCS. He’s not unique among that group. I’ll be happy to be wrong about that but I think he would have been much better served to enter the portal and try to catch on at a higher level to show what he can do. Kids are kids though and decisions don’t always make sense. Who knows who is in his ear.

When I was a student at IUP back in the best years of IUP football, I had friends on the team. A lot of them talked like they were going to be in the NFL. They believed it. I think it’s just a mindset a lot of kids have. You don’t want to crush dreams but you also have to be realistic. Chris Villarreal was the only one from that group, or ever for that matter, to go on and have a long (11 years) and productive NFL career. He was unique though and showed up to the combine and dominated.

Well, remember until he signs with an agent, he can always change his mind. Schools have access to 'stock' reports which show draft projections.

However, if he'd pull out, I'd agree he should try to move up via the portal. Another year in D2 isn't going to help his Sunday chances any more than it already has.

Comment

Well, remember until he signs with an agent, he can always change his mind. Schools have access to 'stock' reports which show draft projections.

However, if he'd pull out, I'd agree he should try to move up via the portal. Another year in D2 isn't going to help his Sunday chances any more than it already has.
                                Agreed, but wouldn't it have to be as a grad transfer? I don't think he's graduated or about to graduate so it may be turn pro or another year of D2 ball.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X