Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Hopefully the Indiana school students getting the free tickets show up and make some noise..rattle the old bones in The Crypt.
    I have given both home crowds solid grades so far this season. Expect another large crowd due to great weather and 6-0 start. Never forget everybody young and old likes a winner, just sayin…

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Its really not. Boro football has a tradition for Slippery Rock week - not for IUP.
      Why do you keep trying to insult a school that has beat “you’re school” 8 times in the last 10 years? All I have to say is 41-0 LOL… typical IUP hater.

Comment

• Men's Golf 4th straight PSAC title ... 32nd overall.

Dynasty.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I expect the folks from the Michelin Guide and Zagat Ratings to be descending on Indiana County very soon.
          Indiana never suffered from a lack of places to eat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Hate IUP, absolutely yes. Considering the IUP game as big as Homecoming, no. Its always a big game - not always the biggest. Boro has (had?) a tradition specific to Slippery Rock week. I don't recall one for IUP week. Honestly, with all the chippiness of the last several years, Gannon might be it now.
            Yeah...Edinboro was really the only Pee Sack obstacle in the late 80's for IUP...those games were pretty big but Slimey was still the mortal enemy...

Comment

Yeah...Edinboro was really the only Pee Sack obstacle in the late 80's for IUP...those games were pretty big but Slimey was still the mortal enemy...
              I think they teach IUP hate at SRU freshmen orientation. I never got the same sense from IUP students. Perhaps mostly because they don't care.

It's big among the athletes. In my era it was a game most looked forward to watching but it wasn't like it's perceived to be now. Of course, Frank owned Dr. Evil record-wise.

When IUP takes the field at SRU, it's (by D2 standards) a thunderous amount of booing and F IUP chants. When SRU comes out at Miller ... it's the same as Clarion coming out at Miller.

It's heated on here among IUP fans but I don't see it many other places.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I think they teach IUP hate at SRU freshmen orientation. I never got the same sense from IUP students. Perhaps mostly because they don't care.

It's big among the athletes. In my era it was a game most looked forward to watching but it wasn't like it's perceived to be now. Of course, Frank owned Dr. Evil record-wise.

When IUP takes the field at SRU, it's (by D2 standards) a thunderous amount of booing and F IUP chants. When SRU comes out at Miller ... it's the same as Clarion coming out at Miller.

The sru hate ended a shortly after the year of the infamous storming of the rock - administration came down pretty hard on the students involved plus it wasn’t too long after that the football team sort of lost the students with their bad behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You’ve stated it well, I think. The best way I can describe it to people is that Slippery Rock hated IUP and IUP didn’t care. That made Slippery Rock hate IUP even more.

I’ve heard stories of certain SRU coaches refusing to say the letters “I, U and P” and instead use some variation of the old Woody Hayes line, “that school down south.” The SRU paper has more than once over the years, I believe, called it the D2 version of Michigan-Ohio State. Hell, in most cases, Slippery Rock calls IUP “Indiana” just because.

But for all those years Frank had things humming, IUP never picked anyone as a rival.

I remember when Lou Tepper was hired at IUP. He said that at Edinboro, they used part of every spring practice to prepare for IUP that fall. The reasoning was that nobody could truly call themselves the best of the PSAC West unless you beat IUP. He called it their “Red-letter game.”
                  http://www.indianagazette.com
                  www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Well...I bought a t shirt in the Co-op store that says

"My two favorite teams are IUP and whoever is playing Slippery Rock"

I bought it in 2018 or so....so there must be some hate on IUP's part.

I did wear it the last two years on the day IUP played Slimey Pebble....:-)

Comment

Well...I bought a t shirt in the Co-op store that says

I'm sure if you went to the SRU bookstore in 2018, you would have found the same shirt with the school names reversed. Back in the 1990s I started seeing ones that said "The Good (IUP logo), the Bad (Clarion), and the Ugly (SRU). Then I'd go to Clarion and see the same shirt in a different order. Same at Slippery Rock.

What I'm getting at is that back in the 90s when Frank was at his career peak, a lot of schools, including SRU, said IUP was their rival but the feelings weren't usually mutual. Frank went 107-14-1 against the PSAC West in his career. At one point, he was 11-0 against George (finished 16-3). He went 19-1 against Cal. So it was sometimes laughable that another divisional school said "we're IUP's rival" when most of them rarely gave IUP a game.

But that's all in the past. Things have certainly changed since IUP doesn't have that stranglehold on the division that it once had.
                      http://www.indianagazette.com
                      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I'm sure if you went to the SRU bookstore in 2018, you would have found the same shirt with the school names reversed. Back in the 1990s I started seeing ones that said "The Good (IUP logo), the Bad (Clarion), and the Ugly (SRU). Then I'd go to Clarion and see the same shirt in a different order. Same at Slippery Rock.

What I'm getting at is that back in the 90s when Frank was at his career peak, a lot of schools, including SRU, said IUP was their rival but the feelings weren't usually mutual. Frank went 107-14-1 against the PSAC West in his career. At one point, he was 11-0 against George. So it was sometimes laughable that another divisional school said "we're IUP's rival" when most of them rarely gave IUP a game.

That certainly has changed since IUP doesn't have that stranglehold on the division that it once had.
                        I had one in the early 90's that I bought at IUP that said "Friends Don't Let Friends Go To Slippery Rock". I'd say I wish I still had it but I wouldn't fit in it anymore! LOL.

Comment

What I'm getting at is that back in the 90s when Frank was at his career peak, a lot of schools, including SRU, said IUP was their rival but the feelings weren't usually mutual. Frank went 107-14-1 against the PSAC West in his career. At one point, he was 11-0 against George (finished 16-3). He went 19-1 against Cal. So it was sometimes laughable that another divisional school said "we're IUP's rival" when most of them rarely gave IUP a game.

But that's all in the past. Things have certainly changed since IUP doesn't have that stranglehold on the division that it once had.
                          I think getting hooked on IUP football in the dominating years is what still keeps me from looking at SRU and even more so, Cal, as rivals. Very few of the games were competitive with those schools in those days. Then when SRU started having some success, it was more of an annoyance but at this point I look at them as a rival. Cal I still struggle with. I’d say they’re more at the annoyance phase yet.

Edinboro was the only team you’d worry about back then. They had some great teams that were maybe just a whisker behind IUP. Those teams were good enough to go as far as IUP did but unfortunately for Boro, they shared not only the same conference, but the same division. There were several very physical, low-scoring battles between the two teams and plenty of extra curricular unsportsmanlike conduct action. I believe one of the games featured a near brawl at the middle of the field before kickoff.

Comment

It's like that in men's basketball now. Every West team says it's Joe's rival. Meanwhile he has like a 98% winning percentage against several of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I think getting hooked on IUP football in the dominating years is what still keeps me from looking at SRU and even more so, Cal, as rivals. Very few of the games were competitive with those schools in those days. Then when SRU started having some success, it was more of an annoyance but at this point I look at them as a rival. Cal I still struggle with. I’d say they’re more at the annoyance phase yet.

Edinboro was the only team you’d worry about back then. They had some great teams that were maybe just a whisker behind IUP. Those teams were good enough to go as far as IUP did but unfortunately for Boro, they shared not only the same conference, but the same division. There were several very physical, low-scoring battles between the two teams and plenty of extra curricular unsportsmanlike conduct action. I believe one of the games featured a near brawl at the middle of the field before kickoff.
                              Clarion was a headache in the late 90s. If I recall, they made the football final four or title game in 1996.

They were good in men's hoops in that era, too.

Comment

Well...I bought a t shirt in the Co-op store that says

Wear it all the time. IUP'S players get pumped up when they see fans wearing IUP gear from the Co-Op Store.

So I've heard.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X