Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

We’ll see what version of Cal U shows up next week but they’re more than capable of beating Gannon. I’d set the betting line a Cal U -7.

Regarding IUP’s ability to beat Shepherd, I agree that it’s possible and that it was possible every time they played. That said, the results are heavily in favor of your Rams. The game being in Indiana should help IUP, but history has shown that IUP isn’t great at home. I would put the line at Shepherd -7 for that one, even on the road. Their strength on offense is IUP’s weakness on defense, and Shepherd’s defense is good enough to keep IUP’s offense under its average.

The odds are IUP will still find a way into the playoffs, but winning yesterday would have made it a certainty and it didn’t happen. Yes, IUP is 7-1 and will win the division and that’s great, but they’re also not far from being 5-3 or even 4-4 if you include the East Stroudsburg game they pulled out. I don’t want to take anything away from what they’ve accomplished because a win is a win, but if we’re being realistic I think expectations beyond that should be tempered.
    I won't lie to you. I feel like you guys are like how Shepherd was last year. I felt like Shepherd went into the playoffs with a really good offense but absolutely dreadful passing defense. I felt like they had a puncher's chance against anyone. And all it took to win the region was 3 late comebacks, including two last second passes. I truly felt like Shepherd could beat any team in the playoffs but could also get bounced in the first round. I think IUP is very capable of winning the region.

Comment

• My take on yesterday's game:

* Gannon QB Kory Curtis was phenomenal -- hitting 23 of 28 passes for 342 yards, 4 TDS and 0 picks.

* Both defenses were poor. Gannon knew IUP couldn't run and still couldn't stop the pass. IUP couldn't stop anything.

* IUP's running game, despite the belief of some, is non-existent. Adam Houser's day to shine was a total flop (17 for 62). The others combined for 9 yards on 6 carries). Dayjure Stewart, currently suspended, is by far their best option. But, he hasn't even been running that well of late. JD Younger, who has provided sparks all year, was oddly given just two carries.

* IUP's pass game was superb and played well enough to win the game.

* Nazhir Taylor's incredibly awful roughing the punter penalty -- in my view -- changed the entire game. IUP came out of the half, got the ball, quickly scored and got the 2-pt conversion. Gannon gets the ball back and IUP forced a 3-and-out. The sideline was lively for the first time all day. And, then, of course, IUP whacks the punter for no reason. First down Gannon. Shortly after GU scores. That was the perfect start to the second half IUP needed and due to a stupid, self-inflicted penalty all the momentum was zapped.

* The secondary looked lost all day. It's hard to even grasp what was going on back there without watching the game 3-4 more times. IUP will give up the dink/dunk all day. Every team knows that. Gannon played it perfect. They did it so often in the first half that IUP finally adjusted -- somewhat -- to it. And, then, it was bombs away.

* IUP's pass rush was strong in the first half but vanished after halftime.

* IUP TE Cole Laney had three drops and then a very untimely false start. Somebody outside of Duane Brown and Hilton Ridley has to start contributing to this offense. He was lit up on the third one. But, the first two he has to catch.

* Adam Houser's best run yesterday was to the outside. IUP -- all year -- has continued to call runs up the middle. They just aren't there -- and these backs aren't power backs.

* The silver lining to this is they may come out better on the other side. Most undefeated teams come out better after their first loss. It's a reality check.

* Gannon wanted that game way worse yesterday. That was overly clear to anybody watching. IUP didn't match their intensity and that probably falls on Tort.

* Did the 7-0 start hide some flaws to the average observer? Absolutely. Luckily for IUP, they still control their own fate. Beat Clarion and Slippery Rock will hammer Edinboro. At that point, the Cal/GU game is irrelevant in regard to the State Game. That, of course, has the potential to be another defensive nightmare. But, worry about that when it gets here. There could be two inches of snow.

* So, the game yesterday is either going to linger, or, they'll come out better on the other side.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

That's a real screwing?! IUP played to the level of their opponent for at least the 2nd time this year, and it cost them. Better recruit some more orange jumpsuits, because you just got LIT!!!
        Enjoy another year of mediocrity that defines East Stroudsburg. The ESU cooties have totally infected Penn State thanks to Franklin.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Gannon was called for 8 penalties…IUP was called for 7.
          That’s not the problem, The problem is the calls they called on IUP were absolutely terrible and they called them in big situations in the game. The PSAC should be ashamed of themselves for allowing the head umpire Matt Brown ref the game at Gannon vs IUP, who he fought with in 2017. TOTAL JOKE!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Enjoy another year of mediocrity that defines East Stroudsburg. The ESU cooties have totally infected Penn State thanks to Franklin.
            You were calling for you coaches head weeks ago...I suppose you think you know mediocrity...

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post

That’s not the problem, The problem is the calls they called on IUP were absolutely terrible and they called them in big situations in the game. The PSAC should be ashamed of themselves for allowing the head umpire Matt Brown ref the game at Gannon vs IUP, who he fought with in 2017. TOTAL JOKE!
              Well, the roughing the kicker penalty was a textbook example of how you rough the kicker. They need to review how you make your best attempt at a blocked punt yet avoid roughing the kicker.

Seconds earlier, the IUP defense had shut Gannon down in a decisive way. IUP would have had great field position after the punt. What I saw was that penalty completely changed the momentum in the game. IUP wasn't able to overcome it like they did on the unsportsmanlike call in the Cal game.

Taylor brings a lot of things to the team, including his KO return ability, but some things need to be addressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Well, the roughing the kicker penalty was a textbook example of how you rough the kicker. They need to review how you make your best attempt at a blocked punt yet avoid roughing the kicker.

Seconds earlier, the IUP defense had shut Gannon down in a decisive way. IUP would have had great field position after the punt. What I saw was that penalty completely changed the momentum in the game. IUP wasn't able to overcome it like they did on the unsportsmanlike call in the Cal game.

Taylor brings a lot of things to the team, including his KO return ability, but some things need to be addressed.
                I saw it live. The roughing the kicker was the turning point of the whole game. IUP had just scored 8 points to open the second half. They then get a physical 3 and out. And, then, that happened. It totally reinvigorated Gannon. And, a play or two later they hit a bomb.

Both defenses stunk all day. Any 3 and out was HUGE. To give it away like that was just sickening.

Why even bother with the punter. IUP hasn't blocked a punt in Lord knows how long. It was mind-blowing. And, it wasn't close. He whacked him.

I don't have much confidence they can control top level QBs. They held SRU to 12 points but that was in a windy monsoon. On a dry field I have serious doubts IUP can control a Bagent type. Dude yesterday looked like an NFL QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

You were calling for you coaches head weeks ago...I suppose you think you know mediocrity...
                  We have had one losing season in 40 years. You can’t say the same. Yeah Tort isn’t Frank. He needs to produce like Frank did.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I saw it live. The roughing the kicker was the turning point of the whole game. IUP had just scored 8 points to open the second half. They then get a physical 3 and out. And, then, that happened. It totally reinvigorated Gannon. And, a play or two later they hit a bomb.

Both defenses stunk all day. Any 3 and out was HUGE. To give it away like that was just sickening.

Why even bother with the punter. IUP hasn't blocked a punt in Lord knows how long. It was mind-blowing. And, it wasn't close. He whacked him.

I don't have much confidence they can control top level QBs. They held SRU to 12 points but that was in a windy monsoon. On a dry field I have serious doubts IUP can control a Bagent type. Dude yesterday looked like an NFL QB.
                    Right, it wasn't close. He had already gotten the punt off. I think the Gannon webcast probably provided the best view of it (although the broadcast team didn't even see it). The punt was already off and the defender made no attempt to avoid hitting the punter. He just nailed him.

Comment

• Elephant in the room when is Mr. Stewart coming back? Any word?

They didn't run worth a lick without him yesterday.

Comment

• I’ll be interested to see if during the Tort Show this week if anyone has the balls to ask Tort why he plays Number 11 and if he has the balls to answer it… Why they keep Number 11 on this team is beyond me. If you have a cancer, you have to cut it out, and that’s what Number 11 is.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post
                          I’ll be interested to see if during the Tort Show this week if anyone has the balls to ask Tort why he plays Number 11 and if he has the balls to answer it… Why they keep Number 11 on this team is beyond me. If you have a cancer, you have to cut it out, and that’s what Number 11 is.
                          0%

Simple answer likely is he's the best option they have.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Elephant in the room when is Mr. Stewart coming back? Any word?

They didn't run worth a lick without him yesterday.
                            From the pregame show on 92.5 it sounded like Stewart is going to be back this week. We shall see.

Comment

• Are we just going to ignore the fact that the head umpire yesterday played football at Gannon and was heavily involved in the brawl in 2017! He was one of the main guys that started the fight in 2017 as well. Absolutely mind-boggling.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post
                                Are we just going to ignore the fact that the head umpire yesterday played football at Gannon and was heavily involved in the brawl in 2017! He was one of the main guys that started the fight in 2017 as well. Absolutely mind-boggling.
                                Pretty much ya.

On the roster as a R-Jr. Hadnt played at all going into that year. Not on the roster for his 5th year. Did he really like playing at Gannon if he didnt come back for his 5th year?

Show a call he made personally that didnt happen.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X