Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So….I guess not playing that 11th game did not hurt IUP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

He didn't practice at all this week.
      …and there was no Incel Bro Tailgate at an RV either.

Comment

He didn't practice at all this week.
        Thank you VERY MUCH Matt Burglund for setting the record straight !

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Hopefully we get the bye week to let him heal up…

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

So, if he didn't practice all week that means he did get hurt in the Clarion game (up 35-0).

Comment

In a vacuum, you’re right. But there are some variables to consider.

Here's what Tort told me, and it's hard to say he's wrong: Shepherd's kicker was 4-for-9 on FGs all season. On a couple of his XPs, the snap and/or hold was shaky in the rain, and he barely got off line-drive kicks. The rain was making the ball slippery (notice all the dropped passes?) and the wind was pretty strong at times.

Knowing this, Tort didn’t think there was much of a chance Shepherd, if they cut the lead to 24-21, was going to give the ball to Bagent and say “go get us a field goal to tie the game.”

So going up by 13 instead of 10 wouldn’t mean much because if Shepherd scored one TD (as it did), the Rams weren’t going to plan to kick the FG to tie the score––instead they’d try to win it on the arm of the best QB in the country.

Tort wanted a 31-14 (three scores) lead, not a 27-14 (two scores) lead.

I think you answered your own question.

I’m not buying that load of crap! You kick it to force them to score two TDs no matter what!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I’m not buying that load of crap! You kick it to force them to score two TDs no matter what!
                Have a good night.
                http://www.indianagazette.com
                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Have a good night.
                  Ain't it fun, Matt? I used to work for newspapers, too, You seem to do a good job up there.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I think there are good arguments for either choice. Personally, I would go for the three points there. If you make the kick it makes the task seem even more daunting for Shepherd. You also keep momentum. Tort’s reasoning is fair, too.

Maybe I have more of a problem with how the play unfolded with the snap coming hurriedly as the play clock ran down. Maybe take a timeout there to have a little more time to decide or make sure everyone was set and on the same page.
                    Last edited by EyeoftheHawk; 11-13-2022, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Have a good night.
                      Tort apologist just like the Tomlin ones in Pittsburgh!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

So, if he didn't practice all week that means he did get hurt in the Clarion game (up 35-0).
                        Correct. It also means there was no Incel Bro tailgate either.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I think there are good arguments for either choice. Personally, I would go for the three points there. If you make the kick it makes the task seem even more daunting for Shepherd. You also keep momentum. Tort’s reasoning is fair, too.

Maybe I have more of a problem with how the play unfolded with the snap coming hurriedly as the play clock ran down. Maybe take a timeout there too have a little more time to decide or make sure everyone was set and on the same page.
                          It gave Shepherd enough hope and it set off the PTSD from last year's Mon Valley Game in IUP fans.

Just take the points. That wasn't Clarion or Seton Hill on the field.....you had the soon to be repeated Harlon Hill winner with a history of dramatic last minute comeback wins going against you. They absolutely had a chance to win that game after that...
                          Last edited by IUPNation; 11-13-2022, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• The dust has settled. My take for what it’s worth.

IUP won this game in the trenches. They dominated both lines of scrimmage and on the type of night it was, that was necessary. Despite not getting a sack (I don’t think), the IUP defensive front had Bagent on the move and off schedule. There were a few times when IUP only brought four and he had time to stand there, but because they dropped so many guys into coverage Bagent couldn’t find an opening. I tip my cap to the defensive staff for the game plan, and obviously to the players for executing it.

When I realized Brown wasn’t dressed and then Stewart went down early, I have to admit I expected the worst. To win under those circumstances was impressive. I think that’s what frustrates IUP fans. The team can put together an effort like that, but then not so much in others. I guess that’s the definition of college sports and every team deals with it. Regarding Brown sitting out, I was extremely impressed with Deabner’s performance. That kid is a weapon and needs to see the field more, even when Brown is back. Regarding Stewart, it looked like he was on his way to a monster game and let’s hope IUP gets a bye and he can get back. That said, what can you say about Houser? Many of us have been critical of him here, but the kid showed what he’s capable of so shame on us. On top of that, the unselfish play to slide down instead of taking the ball into the end zone at the end was classy. It guaranteed Shepherd wouldn’t touch the ball again.

Overall, I think IUP is just better than Shepherd. That’s not to say at all that the Rams wouldn’t win a rematch. Their concern should be how IUP won consistently up front. That’s not something that’s easily fixable. It’s less about scheme and more about my guy being better than your guy. With all of the holding penalties Shepherd had, there were plenty more that could have been called. Depending on seeding, we could see a rematch and to be honest, I’d be happy if it didn’t happen. Those are two great teams and if they played a seven game series it would probably go seven.

Odds and ends…Too many selfish unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, again! I thought Naszhir Taylor played his best game AND he didn’t get into trouble for taunting, etc. He’s great if he just plays football. Special teams, for the most part, were outstanding. Perfect on field goals and extra points and how about two punts downed inside the five? Sexton seemed to play with a chip on his shoulder having to hear about Bagent all week. Then there was the article in the local paper that was all about Bagent. Not saying it wasn’t a good article and appropriate when a kid with Bagent’s credentials is coming to town, but if I’m Sexton that would piss me right off. He played great and made some clutch throws. He’s a very tough competitor and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone.

The playoff seeding will be interesting but here’s hoping IUP and Shepherd are on opposite sides of the bracket.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Hopefully we get the bye week to let him heal up…
                              Good news is Duane looked pretty good yesterday. He was moving around pretty well and wasn't on crutches or anything. I didn't see any boot, crutches, etc.

Now, not practicing all week and making a competitor like him sit out ... obviously means something is wrong.

But, I'd guess he is good in 2 weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                                The dust has settled. My take for what it’s worth.

IUP won this game in the trenches. They dominated both lines of scrimmage and on the type of night it was, that was necessary. Despite not getting a sack (I don’t think), the IUP defensive front had Bagent on the move and off schedule. There were a few times when IUP only brought four and he had time to stand there, but because they dropped so many guys into coverage Bagent couldn’t find an opening. I tip my cap to the defensive staff for the game plan, and obviously to the players for executing it.

When I realized Brown wasn’t dressed and then Stewart went down early, I have to admit I expected the worst. To win under those circumstances was impressive. I think that’s what frustrates IUP fans. The team can put together an effort like that, but then not so much in others. I guess that’s the definition of college sports and every team deals with it. Regarding Brown sitting out, I was extremely impressed with Deabner’s performance. That kid is a weapon and needs to see the field more, even when Brown is back. Regarding Stewart, it looked like he was on his way to a monster game and let’s hope IUP gets a bye and he can get back. That said, what can you say about Houser? Many of us have been critical of him here, but the kid showed what he’s capable of so shame on us. On top of that, the unselfish play to slide down instead of taking the ball into the end zone at the end was classy. It guaranteed Shepherd wouldn’t touch the ball again.

Overall, I think IUP is just better than Shepherd. That’s not to say at all that the Rams wouldn’t win a rematch. Their concern should be how IUP won consistently up front. That’s not something that’s easily fixable. It’s less about scheme and more about my guy being better than your guy. With all of the holding penalties Shepherd had, there were plenty more that could have been called. Depending on seeding, we could see a rematch and to be honest, I’d be happy if it didn’t happen. Those are two great teams and if they played a seven game series it would probably go seven.

Odds and ends…Too many selfish unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, again! I thought Naszhir Taylor played his best game AND he didn’t get into trouble for taunting, etc. He’s great if he just plays football. Special teams, for the most part, were outstanding. Perfect on field goals and extra points and how about two punts downed inside the five? Sexton seemed to play with a chip on his shoulder having to hear about Bagent all week. Then there was the article in the local paper that was all about Bagent. Not saying it wasn’t a good article and appropriate when a kid with Bagent’s credentials is coming to town, but if I’m Sexton that would piss me right off. He played great and made some clutch throws. He’s a very tough competitor and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone.

The playoff seeding will be interesting but here’s hoping IUP and Shepherd are on opposite sides of the bracket.
                                1) Special teams were not perfect. Did you forget the kickoff return that lead to a short field and a TD?

2) Deabner was good but there are little things he needs to get better at. For example, attacking the ball in the air instead of waiting for it.

3) I have been critical of Houser but only his health and I'm still critical of that. He's been healthy due to minimal carries the last couple games. He does have skill.

4) The unsportsmanlike penalties piss me off. It's selfish and ghetto. This behavior is allowed in public schools so these kids have learned that it is ok. God forbid you discipline a child now a days.

5) IUP should get the bye so hopefully Brown and Crook Stewart get healthy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X