Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Good news is Duane looked pretty good yesterday. He was moving around pretty well and wasn't on crutches or anything. I didn't see any boot, crutches, etc.

Now, not practicing all week and making a competitor like him sit out ... obviously means something is wrong.

But, I'd guess he is good in 2 weeks.

Why risk him? You already know your ticket is punched to the playoffs. Is it better to risk him getting hurt more in a game for seeding and a $39.99 trophy and not have him for the second season or sit him out and possibly take the loss but you get him back 100% for the next game that is win or go home?

They took the gamble sitting him out and they won. We lucked out and we have to thank our lines for stepping up.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Why risk him? You already know your ticket is punched to the playoffs. Is it better to risk him getting hurt more in a game for seeding and a $39.99 trophy and not have him for the second season or sit him out and possibly take the loss but you get him back 100% for the next game that is win or go home?

They took the gamble sitting him out and they won. We lucked out and we have to thank our lines for stepping up.
      Which brings me back to the question of why the heck was he put in that spot to get hurt up 35-0 against F-in Clarion? Between that and Tort's terrible coaching at the end of yesterday's game, I truly question his ability to lead this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Which brings me back to the question of why the heck was he put in that spot to get hurt up 35-0 against F-in Clarion? Between that and Tort's terrible coaching at the end of yesterday's game, I truly question his ability to lead this team.
        Same reason Joe left Shawndale in a game at Walk On U when they were crushing it and I watched his team mates carry him out of the gym and that might have been the reason they didn't win the National Title....

Comment

Stewart is probably more of a question mark. He got his knee whacked pretty good at a bad angle. He was in tremendous pain. But, he looked much better an hour later. It was heavily wrapped and he was moving around without support. They may have dodged a bullet. The bye week would be huge for him.

Comment

1) Special teams were not perfect. Did you forget the kickoff return that lead to a short field and a TD?

2) Deabner was good but there are little things he needs to get better at. For example, attacking the ball in the air instead of waiting for it.
            What I said was special teams, for the most part, were outstanding. Yes there was the kickoff return that was aided by having to kick into the stiff wind, but when you look at the body of work I think they were great, but of course, not perfect.

Regarding Deabner, there are little things every player has to get better at but I think given the situation he found himself in and in a championship game against top talent, he was better than expected. He’s also only a sophomore and I for one look forward to seeing him around here a couple more years.

Comment

Same reason Joe left Shawndale in a game at Walk On U when they were crushing it and I watched his team mates carry him out of the gym and that might have been the reason they didn't win the National Title....
              Don't forget Tommy D when he tore his ACL up 15 plus.

Comment

• Since The State Game was brought back for the 2008 season...this is the current tallies of winners.

Three Time Winners
                IUP - 2012, 2017, 2022
                Slimey Pebble - 2014, 2015, 2019

Two Time Winners
                Mon Valley U - 2008, 2016
                Kutztown - 2011, 2021

One Time Winners
                Shippensburg - 2009
                Mercyhurst - 2010
                Bloomsburg - 2013
                Walk On U - 2018

As much as we rag about the Pee Sack...at least unlike the "power conferences" which seem to be the same schools every year winning their titles...the Pee Sack has seen almost half of it's membership win the conference at least once in 14 season.
                Last edited by IUPNation; 11-13-2022, 07:59 AM.

Comment

It's maddening. You're just playing Russian Roulette leaving superstars in blowouts.

It's just stupidity in reality.

Comment

It's maddening. You're just playing Russian Roulette leaving superstars in blowouts.

It's just stupidity in reality.
                    Correct....is it more important to pad stats or win championships?

Comment

Correct....is it more important to pad stats or win championships?
                      If there is any good to come of it, it sounds like Joe Lombardi finally learned his lesson (after having a star tear an ACL in blowouts two straight years). He pulled Ethan Porterfield early yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

What I said was special teams, for the most part, were outstanding. Yes there was the kickoff return that was aided by having to kick into the stiff wind, but when you look at the body of work I think they were great, but of course, not perfect.

Regarding Deabner, there are little things every player has to get better at but I think given the situation he found himself in and in a championship game against top talent, he was better than expected. He’s also only a sophomore and I for one look forward to seeing him around here a couple more years.
                        Remember, Carter actually did fumble the second time. They lucked out and got it. Wasn't his day.

The KO coverage has been great all year but was pretty not great yesterday. Granted, there was an elite returner involved.

Comment

Remember, Carter actually did fumble the second time. They lucked out and got it. Wasn't his day.

The KO coverage has been great all year but was pretty not great yesterday. Granted, there was an elite returner involved.
                          Yeah, you forget the Carter fumbles because the one apparently wasn’t a fumble and the other IUP recovered. If either of those ends up in the hands of a Shepherd player we might be singing a different song. Carter also missed last week with an injury and was apparently a bit rusty. I wouldn’t have put him back there after the first “almost” fumble, but I’m also not sure what the other options may have been so I’m sure they went with what they thought was best.

Comment

Tort apologist just like the Tomlin ones in Pittsburgh!
                            If YOU'RE taking aim at Matt Burglund, who makes the rest of the PSAC coverage look like a preschool newspaper, you're an idiot.

Period.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                              The dust has settled. My take for what it’s worth.

IUP won this game in the trenches. They dominated both lines of scrimmage and on the type of night it was, that was necessary. Despite not getting a sack (I don’t think), the IUP defensive front had Bagent on the move and off schedule. There were a few times when IUP only brought four and he had time to stand there, but because they dropped so many guys into coverage Bagent couldn’t find an opening. I tip my cap to the defensive staff for the game plan, and obviously to the players for executing it.

When I realized Brown wasn’t dressed and then Stewart went down early, I have to admit I expected the worst. To win under those circumstances was impressive. I think that’s what frustrates IUP fans. The team can put together an effort like that, but then not so much in others. I guess that’s the definition of college sports and every team deals with it. Regarding Brown sitting out, I was extremely impressed with Deabner’s performance. That kid is a weapon and needs to see the field more, even when Brown is back. Regarding Stewart, it looked like he was on his way to a monster game and let’s hope IUP gets a bye and he can get back. That said, what can you say about Houser? Many of us have been critical of him here, but the kid showed what he’s capable of so shame on us. On top of that, the unselfish play to slide down instead of taking the ball into the end zone at the end was classy. It guaranteed Shepherd wouldn’t touch the ball again.

Overall, I think IUP is just better than Shepherd. That’s not to say at all that the Rams wouldn’t win a rematch. Their concern should be how IUP won consistently up front. That’s not something that’s easily fixable. It’s less about scheme and more about my guy being better than your guy. With all of the holding penalties Shepherd had, there were plenty more that could have been called. Depending on seeding, we could see a rematch and to be honest, I’d be happy if it didn’t happen. Those are two great teams and if they played a seven game series it would probably go seven.

Odds and ends…Too many selfish unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, again! I thought Naszhir Taylor played his best game AND he didn’t get into trouble for taunting, etc. He’s great if he just plays football. Special teams, for the most part, were outstanding. Perfect on field goals and extra points and how about two punts downed inside the five? Sexton seemed to play with a chip on his shoulder having to hear about Bagent all week. Then there was the article in the local paper that was all about Bagent. Not saying it wasn’t a good article and appropriate when a kid with Bagent’s credentials is coming to town, but if I’m Sexton that would piss me right off. He played great and made some clutch throws. He’s a very tough competitor and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone.

The playoff seeding will be interesting but here’s hoping IUP and Shepherd are on opposite sides of the bracket.
                              Yes, for all of the focus on the "name" skill players, the game was won in the trenches. I remember this being a concern for the Shep fans (who are very knowledgeable) but I didn't expect it to be so obvious.

Playing without Brown and Stewart and still winning is definitely impressive. I joke about Tort's "we have a lot of players" comment but it's true. IUP is deep with a lot of weapons.

Wow, so many contributors yesterday. It was a very satisfying victory.

On to the playoffs. IUP will need their big guns to be ready to make this run. At some point, anyway.

Not to take anything away from Shep. If there is a repeat matchup, it will be just as interesting as the first one.

Finally, I think Sexton has some intangibles. I think he is clearly the leader (I'm sure there are numerous leaders) and he manages the game really well. They talk about Bagent being unflappable but Sexton always seems to have his eyes on the prize.

Hopefully, we get the right bounces in the PO's. IUP needs to stick with the next Saturday approach.
                              Last edited by iupgroundhog; 11-13-2022, 09:38 AM.

Comment

So, if he didn't practice all week that means he did get hurt in the Clarion game (up 35-0).
                                Correct-he did get hurt in that game

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X