Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any news on a new band director that will mercy kill Crimson Abomination...and fix the band and get it back to what it used to be...???????

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I know you view this event as a negative...but the school and the town should really seize on this and make it "an event".

Instead of making this feel like a war with the helicopters...make it inviting and get control over the event to keep it from spiraling like in the past.. It doesn't have to be just for students.

I mean West Chester has numerous events in their downtown (at least they did before COVID) and it's never felt like we had the Gestapo hovering over the event.....

If Indiana had way more events....it could be the reason a kid chooses IUP over going to some snooze fest place like Slimey Pebble and their one traffic light.

I agree. I think that should be explored.

Anybody remember the Ugly Bartender? IUP turned that controversy into PR gold.

Comment

I know you view this event as a negative...but the school and the town should really seize on this and make it "an event".

Instead of making this feel like a war with the helicopters...make it inviting and get control over the event to keep it from spiraling like in the past.. It doesn't have to be just for students.

I mean West Chester has numerous events in their downtown (at least they did before COVID) and it's never felt like we had the Gestapo hovering over the event.....

If Indiana had way more events....it could be the reason a kid chooses IUP over going to some snooze fest place like Slimey Pebble and their one traffic light.

I view it as a negative mainly because of the way President Titanic handled it years ago. When the town was up in arms and his animals were running free ... he basically said "it's off campus ... not our problem." I still want about 300 locals to have a party on Driscoll's sidewalk one year, throw about 800 beer bottles in his yard, smoke dope all day, start several fights and pi$$ all over his yard.

The 'town' and 'IUP students' don't really mingle. Sure, they put some PR-type stuff on Twitter showing community engagement ... but that's mainly just fluff PR stuff. With the enrollment so far down, there are no longer pockets of students throughout the town. They are mainly all condensed down in the campus area. So, it has really become like two towns within Indiana -- the 'campus' area -- and, the rest of Indiana.

Now, could they make it similar to the Appalachian Festival (which takes place around Labor Day)? Maybe. For that event, Philly Street is mostly closed off and has a stage set up. The Clarks performed two years in a row and drew thousands. All the bars had outdoor beer tents, etc. But, the two sides would have to get along. The students don't want to share their day with the townies -- and vice versa.

As a whole, this year was pretty smooth. The weather played a huge part.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I view it as a negative mainly because of the way President Titanic handled it years ago. When the town was up in arms and his animals were running free ... he basically said "it's off campus ... not our problem." I still want about 300 locals to have a party on Driscoll's sidewalk one year, throw about 800 beer bottles in his yard, smoke dope all day, start several fights and pi$$ all over his yard.

The 'town' and 'IUP students' don't really mingle. Sure, they put some PR-type stuff on Twitter showing community engagement ... but that's mainly just fluff PR stuff. With the enrollment so far down, there are no longer pockets of students throughout the town. They are mainly all condensed down in the campus area. So, it has really become like two towns within Indiana -- the 'campus' area -- and, the rest of Indiana.

Now, could they make it similar to the Appalachian Festival (which takes place around Labor Day)? Maybe. For that event, Philly Street is mostly closed off and has a stage set up. The Clarks performed two years in a row and drew thousands. All the bars had outdoor beer tents, etc. But, the two sides would have to get along. The students don't want to share their day with the townies -- and vice versa.

As a whole, this year was pretty smooth. The weather played a huge part.
          Wellllll......since the town needs the University to do well so the town does well....it seems to me the town side needs to make the first move.

They don't have to all co mingle...it could be a town wide festival. It could be Philly Street closed down. It could be campus events. It could be an Indiana Style Mardi Gras...with events over several days.

Somebody in Sutton Hall needs to wake up and see the potential and work with the town. Student life should be more than the bars uptown and midnight beer kegs fests in smelly basements of frat houses. My senior year I fled to Pittsburgh to go out and party on weekends as often as I could get a ride with anyone going there....as bar fights and frat parties were utterly lame and no longer my crowd.

Yeah...the town shouldn't put up with their homes being vandalized or having to put up with bad behavior and why if this was better planned there can be pbetter protection to private property in town. However, being hostile to everything isn't a winning game plan either.

West Chester finds a balance for the most part....maybe IUP and Indiana officials should come down here and see how it's done. It's never going to be perfect but Indiana and IUP are big enough to do this right.

Comment

• They won't. There are far too many people who believe something like what you describe will result in the chaos of the Faber College homecoming parade. Whomever plans the fall event should work with students (hire them?) to make something student-centered but within the boundaries of reality. They've gotta get IUPatties out of basements and onto Philadelphia Street.

State College has an annual summer Arts Festival. It became a huge drinking weekend for students - a lot coming into town for the weekend only. A couple bad student incidents really put a damper on it. I believe its still big but not what it once was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
              They won't. There are far too many people who believe something like what you describe will result in the chaos of the Faber College homecoming parade. Whomever plans the fall event should work with students (hire them?) to make something student-centered but within the boundaries of reality. They've gotta get IUPatties out of basements and onto Philadelphia Street.

State College has an annual summer Arts Festival. It became a huge drinking weekend for students - a lot coming into town for the weekend only. A couple bad student incidents really put a damper on it. I believe its still big but not what it once was.
              The S&T Bank IUPatties Spring Festival could be a thing. Corporate sponsorships. Tents...fireworks...bands...maybe even rides! College students sill like rides right?

Maybe a ESports Tent or something...kids love that ****...something at the start of spring to get rid of the winter doldrums.

Can you tell I was a Marketing Major?

It's a crime to see so much potential for not only the school...but for the town. Indiana is basically a regional magnet. Maybe they wouldn't get people coming up in droves from Yinzerburgh...but damn I think people from DuBois and Ebensburg and Greensburg and Johnstown would be inclined to take a ride to Indiana for something to do.

The area's conservative nature is holding it back.....live a little!

Comment

The S&T Bank IUPatties Spring Festival could be a thing. Corporate sponsorships. Tents...fireworks...bands...maybe even rides! College students sill like rides right?

Maybe a ESports Tent or something...kids love that ****...something at the start of spring to get rid of the winter doldrums.

Can you tell I was a Marketing Major?

It's a crime to see so much potential for not only the school...but for the town. Indiana is basically a regional magnet. Maybe they wouldn't get people coming up in droves from Yinzerburgh...but damn I think people from DuBois and Ebensburg and Greensburg and Johnstown would be inclined to take a ride to Indiana for something to do.

The area's conservative nature is holding it back.....live a little!
                It was moving in that direction with local bars and even the student coop participating and then we had the murder, a shooting and stabbing, a couple sexual assaults and numerous fights along with massive vandalism, public urinating so no one wanted to touch it. It was way past conservative locals not wanting the kids to have fun. It probably has a lot to do with a decline in the student quality

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

It was moving in that direction with local bars and even the student coop participating and then we had the murder, a shooting and stabbing, a couple sexual assaults and numerous fights along with massive vandalism, public urinating so no one wanted to touch it. It was way past conservative locals not wanting the kids to have fun. It probably has a lot to do with a decline in the student quality

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I'd guess the huge Catch 22 in the theory is 'IUP' would likely have to enter in to some form of partnership with 'Indiana' to have such an event. Such a partnership then directly links IUP to IUPatties ... which totally goes against Driscoll's CYA 'it's not on campus' philosophy.

Granted, the most-recent shooting/murder actually had nothing (directly) to do with IUP -- although it took place on IUPatties and 'near' campus. Those convicted were from 'the hills' surrounding Indiana. I recall one of the victims (struck by a stray or missed shot at the actual target) was an IUP student. That event was likely going down one way or another ... it just happened to occur on IUPatties weekend so of course it will be forever linked -- and made every newscast in PA (directly linking it with IUP and IUPatties).

Comment

• IUP Baseball swept two games at SRU today -- taking 3 of 4 in the series.

IUP is now 10-7. Amazing turnaround in Kline's first year.

SRU was 10-0 before the IUP series started.

Comment

IUP Baseball swept two games at SRU today -- taking 3 of 4 in the series.

Wow. That is positive. They seem to also be making progress as the season goes on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Wilson is a first time OC but he's been in the conference for a while. He's also got some pretty good special teams success - something IUP seems to need (too soon?). About as good of a hire as you can get. He was making $20k more at Cal than IUP was paying Gregory - wonder how much more Tort was able to get for his staff.

Comment

IUP Baseball swept two games at SRU today -- taking 3 of 4 in the series.

**** Slimey Pebble!

Comment

• Baseball lost two games today to Walsh (3-2 final in both).

Four games with Seton Hill this weekend. Unlike football and basketball, the Griffins are a power on the diamond.

IUP is now 10-9.

Comment

Baseball lost two games today to Walsh (3-2 final in both).

Four games with Seton Hill this weekend. Unlike football and basketball, the Griffins are a power on the diamond.

IUP is now 10-9.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X