Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'd have to assume opposing coaches spin it hard when they are recruiting the same QBs. It's been a long, long time since a high school-recruited QB started a game for IUP. Even Lenny, technically, was a transfer (although he started 4 years). I take that back. Javon Davis did make two starts although he was just filling in for Harry while he had Covid.

They signed two high school QBs this year. Odds are one of them will be gone after next season.

Horn was a 'program guy' and was never expected to be a starter. He was a serviceable backup but there was never any expectation he'd take over the job. He still left early even after they knew Sexton was leaving so what's that tell you.

Marchitelli is a bit different case. He played his post-grad year at The Kiski School (which is a high-end all boys' school not far from IUP). They play other prep schools (no WPIAL games as they have many post-grad players). He's also from (I think) Colorado, so between Kiski Prep being kind of off the typical radar of PSAC schools (most kids don't go to KP for $55,000/year to attend a state school) and being from out of the area ... he may have kind of fell through a bit. He's a big dude, physically, with a big arm and is mobile.

As somebody else mentioned, the transfer from Mars Hill may be a nice signing. He had some injury issues in high school and fell off the radar a bit. He has a really nice arm and can also really run.

All of that said, the 2023 starter isn't signed yet. They'll find him.
    I wish I could remember all of the names from the past who were high school recruits that played the QB position. My personal favorites...

-Andre Druitt-Parks, who was better known here as "ADP." Came from the famous Imhotep Charter in Philly. Extremely hyped. Man was that a disappointment.

-Then there was Eddie Stockett, also known as Eddie $tockett (Where have you gone IUPCrimsonHawks - seriously, he just disappeared from the board). He was the subject of many debates regarding the QB position during the Chase Haslett experiment. At no point have I ever been more uncomfortable reading this message board. Seemed like Eddie had more than one chance to show Curt he could play well at this level. And time after time he didn't show enough. The former 2-star recruit from McKeesport eventually fizzled out and left IUP.

-Yahmir Wilkinson. He came in the same 2018 graduating class as Javon Davis. IUP was supposed to be set at QB for the next 4 years. It was to be a massive battle for the backup job that year, to then take over for Lenny in 2019. Wilkinson left IUP before the fall semester finished in 2018. Word of advice... Never recruit lefty QBs...

-An ode to my freshman year at IUP, Matteo Gazelle. He had no hype and nobody expected a darn thing, but man was that guy known around campus. He brought the swag in from Key West, FL. Maybe the biggest partier on the IUP football team. Never once stepped off the sidelines.
    Last edited by IUP24; 02-08-2023, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Is it at the front of the season right after the opener with Ashland? That would be a hoot.
      Speaking of Ashland... Is there any potential chance or rumor that they could move that game to the Thursday night? They did that in 2017 when they played at Miller Stadium, and I felt it was a fantastic decision. Thursday night before Labor Day weekend. People leaving town didn't leave yet. You weren't competing with the opening weekend of the D1 season. Had a great crowd with a fantastic atmosphere. I hope they do that again.

If you recall, Ashland did the same thing in 2018.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I wish I could remember all of the names from the past who were high school recruits that played the QB position. My personal favorites...

-Andre Druitt-Parks, who was better known here as "ADP." Came from the famous Imhotep Charter in Philly. Extremely hyped. Man was that a disappointment.

-Then there was Eddie Stockett, also known as Eddie $tockett (Where have you gone IUPCrimsonHawks - seriously, he just disappeared from the board). He was the subject of many debates regarding the QB position during the Chase Haslett experiment. At no point have I ever been more uncomfortable reading this message board. Seemed like Eddie had more than one chance to show Curt he could play well at this level. And time after time he didn't show enough. The former 2-star recruit from McKeesport eventually fizzled out and left IUP.

-Yahmir Wilkinson. He came in the same 2018 graduating class as Javon Davis. IUP was supposed to be set at QB for the next 4 years. It was to be a massive battle for the backup job that year, to then take over for Lenny in 2019. Wilkinson left IUP before the fall semester finished in 2018. Word of advice... Never recruit lefty QBs...

-An ode to my freshman year at IUP, Matteo Gazelle. He had no hype and nobody expected a darn thing, but man was that guy known around campus. He brought the swag in from Key West, FL. Maybe the biggest partier on the IUP football team. Never once stepped off the sidelines.
        ADP was a huge disappointment, since he kept ending up ineligible due to academics, but did have some impressive moments. The other one was Isaiah Hankins, who impressed everyone during his first scrimmage, and then they couldn't get him to go to classes.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Yahmir Wilkinson was such an enigma. He was universally heralded as very athletic and talented at QB but unfortunately never made it. When he realized he wasn't on the right track at IUP he transferred to West Chester where he ended up with 11 total passing attempts and 38 rushing attempts over 13 games. I have to think that had he not gone to IUP and instead to a school where he had a much better chance of starting things could have been different. I don't think his dexterity has anything to do with it. Part was committing to a school that was already loaded at QB but mostly not being able to adapt to the college game. I don't think it was for a lack of talent. Hopefully he earned a degree and is enjoying a career with much less debt than the average kid.

Comment

• Heard from my family in the Philly area there is an article about Eagles Coach Nick Sirianni's time at IUP in the Philly Inquirer if any of the board posters from Eastern Pa wanted to take a look. I know the Inquirer's readership is not what it once was so I figured I'd pass the info along.

Comment

• Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post
              Heard from my family in the Philly area there is an article about Eagles Coach Nick Sirianni's time at IUP in the Philly Inquirer if any of the board posters from Eastern Pa wanted to take a look. I know the Inquirer's readership is not what it once was so I figured I'd pass the info along.
              Here it is. Great article!

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagl...-20230208.html

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                Are yinzers rooting for the Iggles or for Kermit and Fat Bastard with the Chefs?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Are yinzers rooting for the Iggles or for Kermit and Fat Bastard with the Chefs?
                  I'd elect to watch golf or NASCAR any day of the week over the NFL but in this case I'm cheering for Philly.

Comment

I'd elect to watch golf or NASCAR any day of the week over the NFL but in this case I'm cheering for Philly.
                    This is a good weekend to watch golf. The Wasted Management!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

KC +2.5
                      Kelce MVP +1200

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

KC +2.5
                        Kelce MVP +1200
                        KJ over/under 18.5 mins Saturday?

Comment

Better be under or I’ll go postal!

Comment

Tough one! I’ll bite and take the under.

How about Porterfield? Over/under 1 mins.

Comment

• IUP is getting some lovely publicity this morning over the racist post from a student at Wednesday's basketball game.

Comment

IUP is getting some lovely publicity this morning over the racist post from a student at Wednesday's basketball game.
                                A direct result of conservative parenting.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X