Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

IUP has not done well in regards to making the bureaucracy easy for students to negotiate. Things like financial aid, the registrar, billing, those things make life easier for the students. As for edging itself, should be academic affairs and the faculty doing that. IMHO the input from out of touch, sometimes incompetent admins have been a big part of the problem. You can’t define a university by administrative fiat. But thankfully I’ve retired last year so I don’t have to deal with it.
    Right. And PASSHE isn't good at creating new academic programs. They tend to supplement what is already there and take way too long compared to private schools. Its also faculty expertise driven and not really market driven. Then they never really market individual programs. All PASSHE schools have a couple really great grad programs that fly under the radar because they don't market them individually - just "get your master's degree at XX University of Pennsylvania!". Unfortunately with enrollment declines and the slow roll of shifting many grad programs to asynchronous online (what the people want) a lot of these programs have disappeared or are targets for elimination.

Comment

IUP has not done well in regards to making the bureaucracy easy for students to negotiate. Things like financial aid, the registrar, billing, those things make life easier for the students. As for defining itself, it should be academic affairs and the faculty doing that. IMHO the input from out of touch, sometimes incompetent admins have been a big part of the problem. You can’t define a university by administrative fiat. But thankfully I’ve retired last year so I don’t have to deal with it.
      [
      Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Right. And PASSHE isn't good at creating new academic programs. They tend to supplement what is already there and take way too long compared to private schools. Its also faculty expertise driven and not really market driven. Then they never really market individual programs. All PASSHE schools have a couple really great grad programs that fly under the radar because they don't market them individually - just "get your master's degree at XX University of Pennsylvania!". Unfortunately with enrollment declines and the slow roll of shifting many grad programs to asynchronous online (what the people want) a lot of these programs have disappeared or are targets for elimination.
      Now I'm really confused. I certainly respect both opinions. I don't think I disagree with ironmaniup that academics and faculty should define the school because a school is a collection of the academic resources. The academics can't promote who they are and what they are doing through the communications channels, though. And I think that when you are talking about survival that is what is important - promoting the broader entity. FS82 agrees with ironman but then goes on to talking about marketing - albeit on a more program-specific basis.

Regarding "administrative fiat", maybe I don't understand the issue, but somebody or some department needs to be charged with taking these divergent, ambiguous messages and unifying them into effective communication to provide clear definition.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

[

Now I'm really confused. I certainly respect both opinions. I don't think I disagree with ironmaniup that academics and faculty should define the school because a school is a collection of the academic resources. The academics can't promote who they are and what they are doing through the communications channels, though. And I think that when you are talking about survival that is what is important - promoting the broader entity. FS82 agrees with ironman but then goes on to talking about marketing - albeit on a more program-specific basis.

Regarding "administrative fiat", maybe I don't understand the issue, but somebody or some department needs to be charged with taking these divergent, ambiguous messages and unifying them into effective communication to provide clear definition.
        The administrative functions & departments still exist. The executive level positions that did none of the work and all the reporting are eliminated. From my experience, the only actual marketing work done by a campus is through social media and publications - but even that is largely the creative juice of the people doing the actual work. Commercials, logos, taglines, and advertising buying are all done by contracted firms. Its pretty rare anymore for anyone in house to do this stuff. Its one of the reasons college advertising is so bad - its all flowery talk and smiling faces in perfect weather. The only real info needed for IUP and other PASSHE schools is the same degree and experience as everywhere else but for much less. We're Aldi competing against Wegmans/Whole Foods (private schools mom & dad assume they can't afford) and Giant Eagle/Giant/Weis (longtime staples Penn State and Pitt).

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

[

Yes, there needs to be that unifying message, the problem is how that is organized. What happens is the academic units are threatened with cuts if they don't improve ROI, they are encouraged to recruit on their own. They come up with plans, and activities, which then are not included into the centralization, so all the effort is wasted. You should see the amount of PR that is thrown out or otherwise ended because it didn't fit some new "vision" This is extra annoying since the threat from low enrollment is pretty severe. Certain individuals on campus tend to carry alot of weight despite really not having skin in the game. its was hard to Fathom at some times.

Comment

Yes, there needs to be that unifying message, the problem is how that is organized. What happens is the academic units are threatened with cuts if they don't improve ROI, they are encouraged to recruit on their own. They come up with plans, and activities, which then are not included into the centralization, so all the effort is wasted. You should see the amount of PR that is thrown out or otherwise ended because it didn't fit some new "vision" This is extra annoying since the threat from low enrollment is pretty severe. Certain individuals on campus tend to carry alot of weight despite really not having skin in the game. its was hard to Fathom at some times.
            Off topic but I saw that new building yesterday. Good Lord is that thing massive. It appears to be getting pretty close.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Off topic but I saw that new building yesterday. Good Lord is that thing massive. It appears to be getting pretty close.
              When it’s done are they knocking down Weyant?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

When it’s done are they knocking down Weyant?
                I'd assume but can't confirm. It currently looks like a Ford Taurus on a Ferrari lot.

Comment

the original plan was to move the equipment from Weyandt this summer. Not sure they are quite there, but we'll see. Certainly by the end of fall semester. The building size was based on the 2015 enrollment and faculty, which is much smaller now, so the building will have room. The old plans were to tear down weyandt and elkin, provide parking, delivery access to the Kopchik building, and eventually taking pizza house, and the student housing for another building. not sure what the new plans are with the current crisis.

Comment

the original plan was to move the equipment from Weyandt this summer. Not sure they are quite there, but we'll see. Certainly by the end of fall semester. The building size was based on the 2015 enrollment and faculty, which is much smaller now, so the building will have room. The old plans were to tear down weyandt and elkin, provide parking, delivery access to the Kopchik building, and eventually taking pizza house, and the student housing for another building. not sure what the new plans are with the current crisis.
                    Good points. Tearing down large commercial buildings - especially those built in the asbestos, concrete, block, and stone era of the 60s and 70s, is expensive.

How will the IUP faithful feel about them becoming another welfare queen of the PASSHE system?

Comment

Looks like a new coffee shop / bakery is opening in the old Pizza House.

Comment

I'd assume but can't confirm. It currently looks like a Ford Taurus on a Ferrari lot.
                        LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Good points. Tearing down large commercial buildings - especially those built in the asbestos, concrete, block, and stone era of the 60s and 70s, is expensive.

How will the IUP faithful feel about them becoming another welfare queen of the PASSHE system?
                          You all owe us for the IUP Rule.

Pay up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It's an interesting question. I'd guess most don't realize the financial dilemma facing the university -- especially when a new cathedral the size of Mansfield is being built before their eyes.

But, you also have to remember a huge portion of that generation of 'IUP arrogance' is getting really, really old (or dying out).

Comment

It's an interesting question. I'd guess most don't realize the financial dilemma facing the university -- especially when a new cathedral the size of Mansfield is being built before their eyes.

But, you also have to remember a huge portion of that generation of 'IUP arrogance' is getting really, really old (or dying out).
                              I can make up for them.

Hand over the cash or close the other schools and give us their funding.

IUP FIRST!!!

:-)

Comment

PASSHE definitely needs a more unified message. They need some sort of statewide advertising campaign, and they definitely need to get the word out on TV, what is left of local newspapers, etc. Our Harrisburg TV stations are a constant litany of Penn State, Penn State, Penn State, and now even their Harrisburg campus is starting to get a lot of media traction. Millersville seems to do a little better at this than Ship, but often you wouldn't have idea there are two PASSHE schools within easy driving distance of Harrisburg. You certainly don't get any sports coverage.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X