Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

There's no doubt it's a big F U to the visiting team.

Tort will use this as a motivator.
    I dunno. I don't think it's personal. ESU historically plays as many early-season home games under the lights as it can, regardless of opponent. I've covered three IUP games at ESU and they've all been night games. You could have predicted this four years ago when the schedule came out.
    http://www.indianagazette.com
    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

As a fan, this kickoff time is great. Travel up in the morning, check in to the hotel, chill a bit and then head to the game.

That said, I can see where this timeslot is a nightmare for the coaching staff. Luckily, I think the timing is good. It's the first game so they shouldn't be having an issues with focus, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I dunno. I don't think it's personal. ESU historically plays as many early-season home games under the lights as it can, regardless of opponent. I've covered three IUP games at ESU and they've all been night games. You could have predicted this four years ago when the schedule came out.

Comment

As a fan, this kickoff time is great. Travel up in the morning, check in to the hotel, chill a bit and then head to the game.

That said, I can see where this timeslot is a nightmare for the coaching staff. Luckily, I think the timing is good. It's the first game so they shouldn't be having an issues with focus, etc.
          Yes Tort is I believe 20-2 on the road. Was robbed at Cal in 2018 or it would be 21-1 with lone loss at SRU in 2019. That Cal loss really stung and had lingering effects in 2018..

Comment

Not unless you know something happening behind the scenes at ESU. The home team decides the kickoff time for conference games, so unless ESU second-guesses itself, it'll be at 7:00.

Comment

• I'd be all for two Thursday night games a season at Miller.

Comment

I'd be all for two Thursday night games a season at Miller.
                Back when I was the PSAC columnist on here, I suggested the PSAC go to an all-Thursday schedule. I realize it would be difficult for some parents to get to games, but I think it would increase student attendance and at least give the locals an opportunity so they can still stay home on Saturdays to watch Penn State.
                http://www.indianagazette.com
                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Back when I was the PSAC columnist on here, I suggested the PSAC go to an all-Thursday schedule. I realize it would be difficult for some parents to get to games, but I think it would increase student attendance and at least give the locals an opportunity so they can still stay home on Saturdays to watch Penn State.

I've always been a huge fan of the Thursday lineup for D2. The full season is probably a stretch but I'd have no problem with 4 of the 6 home games or 3 of the 5 home games on Thursday night.

For starters, there's just far less competition -- D1 (Pitt, PSU, WVU), kids' soccer, youth football, etc. Later kicks can elevate competing with the youth schedules some but as we know this league loves itself some 12 p.m. starts. Those noon kicks instantly knock out many families from attending.

Very few of our schools have what I'd even call a decent tailgate atmosphere but the 12 p.m. start makes it even worse. Yes, it's a party at 8 a.m. in Happy Valley. But, well, we don't live in a Happy Valley world. Not many people enjoy the 9:30 a.m. tailgate prior to watching Clarion.

Thursday night just has a totally different vibe and atmosphere than 12 p.m. on Saturday.

Speaking through the IUP goggles, probably 9 of the 10 best atmospheres I've ever seen at Miller ... were all night games.

Student-wise, Thursday night will draw better for at least the first half of the game. As it's historically documented, the hungover IUP student isn't showing up for an 85-degree September game at 12 p.m. on Saturday -- nor when it's 40 degrees at 12 p.m. in late October/November. Night games also have much better tailgate atmospheres. Like tailgating or not, it's the only reason some even come to the games.

The No. 1 thing I hear from people in Indiana when I ask why they don't go to the games is always the same: they say they are boring. Would playing a couple per season at night liven things up? Maybe. Heck, it's worth a shot. The conundrum at IUP seems to be a lot of the power brass isn't exactly young anymore and seems to love that 12 p.m. slot.

I mean, we call it the Funeral Home. The staff calls it The Crypt. Logic seems to say it's time to try something different.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Yes Tort is I believe 20-2 on the road. Was robbed at Cal in 2018 or it would be 21-1 with lone loss at SRU in 2019. That Cal loss really stung and had lingering effects in 2018..
                    NOW we know why he didn't want to go to Shepherd this season. ;)

Comment

• I don't see another stomping against ESU. IUP will be favored but I'm seeing something in the 35-17 range.

ESU has a tune-up the week prior and is at home. Home field means next to nothing in D2 unless the bingo crowds get under your skin. But, Tort has to deal with the long ride and player focus all day Saturday. Skipping Week 1 .... never know how the team will come out, either. Week 1 gets the jitters and dumb mistakes out of the way.

Of course, IUP skipped Week 1 last year and then beat Kutztown ... and did it without numerous players out for Covid.

ESU is also making strides and isn't the dormat it was last time IUP was up there.

Comment

I don't see another stomping against ESU. IUP will be favored but I'm seeing something in the 35-17 range.

ESU has a tune-up the week prior and is at home. Home field means next to nothing in D2 unless the bingo crowds get under your skin. But, Tort has to deal with the long ride and player focus all day Saturday. Skipping Week 1 .... never know how the team will come out, either. Week 1 gets the jitters and dumb mistakes out of the way.

Of course, IUP skipped Week 1 last year and then beat Kutztown ... and did it without numerous players out for Covid.

ESU is also making strides and isn't the dormat it was last time IUP was up there.

Comment

• I don't know much about ESU crowds, but the following week they'll get to play in front of a packed house at Shippensburg. I've already seen numerous Twitter ramblings from a lot of Ship people scheduling events, etc., around IUP's visit. That's also a (relatively) short trip from Indiana so I assume IUP will travel well for that game.

Two good tests to open the season. Last year was way worse with Kutztown and Shepherd, but I assume they'll get pushed in both of these games. This isn't Lock Haven and Millersville.

They get through these two unscathed and then they'll finally get a home game with a rebuilding Mercyhurst prior to SRU and (at) California.

This is a really front-heavy schedule. Mercyhurst is probably the 'recovery' game sandwiched between tough back-to-backs.

The second half of the schedule is dramatically lighter: (at) Edinboro, Seton Hill, (at) LIT-AF, Clarion, Bloomsburg (or PSAC Title Game).

It's June 15 already. It will be here before we know it.

Comment

I don't know much about ESU crowds, but the following week they'll get to play in front of a packed house at Shippensburg. I've already seen numerous Twitter ramblings from a lot of Ship people scheduling events, etc., around IUP's visit. That's also a (relatively) short trip from Indiana so I assume IUP will travel well for that game.

Two good tests to open the season. Last year was way worse with Kutztown and Shepherd, but I assume they'll get pushed in both of these games. This isn't Lock Haven and Millersville.

They get through these two unscathed and then they'll finally get a home game with a rebuilding Mercyhurst prior to SRU and (at) California.

This is a really front-heavy schedule. Mercyhurst is probably the 'recovery' game sandwiched between tough back-to-backs.

The second half of the schedule is dramatically lighter: (at) Edinboro, Seton Hill, (at) LIT-AF, Clarion, Bloomsburg (or PSAC Title Game).

It's June 15 already. It will be here before we know it.
                            I wonder if they will get out the F**K IUP sign for the occasion?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I hope so. Tort's teams are a beast when agitated.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

They're installing a huge video board for this very purpose.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X