Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per the Twitter world, Ryan Rebholz is leaving IUP (and athletics).

He had a new title last year but I think he was essentially the SID.

Comment

• Anybody been on campus recently and seen the new building going up? Gigantic.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Anybody been on campus recently and seen the new building going up? Gigantic.
        Is that the science building? Gigantic, as in too big, or as in impressively big.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Is that the science building? Gigantic, as in too big, or as in impressively big.
          Yes.

It's big ... stands out. The front faces the Oak Grove and then it wraps around behind. I guess for the price tag it should be enormous.

So, I'd say impressively. The exterior is very close to being done. Not sure what the expected open is.

Comment

It's odd, however, perhaps many local businesses view our teams as largely 'out of area/state' kids and therefore the loyalty isn't quite the same.

Add to it, North Allegheny vastly outdraws the majority of our programs at the gate.

I always wonder when we get kids from the NA's, Pine-Richlands, etc., when they come on campus visits ... what they think when it hits them their high school stadium is 35x nicer than what their college stadium will be.

It obviously helps that NA, P-R, etc., are in the heart of a booming area.

Comment

Anybody been on campus recently and seen the new building going up? Gigantic.

Comment

• I'm planning to hit the first two roadies.

Any good hotel recommendations at ESU?

Comment

I'm planning to hit the first two roadies.

Any good hotel recommendations at ESU?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                    Not fancy academic buildings. IMO, it will have to feature lab facilities not typically found at a regional university. So many campuses have relatively new & refurbished academic buildings so it has to be truly novel - and even then that will only last for so long. When I was at Edinboro 20+ years ago they had science facilities that while older weren't pulling in students or tied to a degree program (like a planetarium). They had a telescope facility miles south of campus but when money got tight sold it to Allegheny College.

Comment

• John J. and Char Kopchick Hall
                      http://www.indianagazette.com
                      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Not fancy academic buildings. IMO, it will have to feature lab facilities not typically found at a regional university. So many campuses have relatively new & refurbished academic buildings so it has to be truly novel - and even then that will only last for so long. When I was at Edinboro 20+ years ago they had science facilities that while older weren't pulling in students or tied to a degree program (like a planetarium). They had a telescope facility miles south of campus but when money got tight sold it to Allegheny College.

When IUP (and others) was booming, incoming students were forced to live in un-air conditioned, glorified prison cells -- with a communal restroom/shower at the end of the hall. The buildings were old. It would be miserable in classrooms in September and May.

Ironically, now that the housing is better than many hotels, etc., and the campus is full of new, modern buildings, the enrollment has tanked.

Obviously, the two don't go hand in hand, but, it is quite ironic.

Last I heard, they aren't even opening two of the 'dorms' this Fall. They also shut down a couple of the more popular dining options this past Spring semester. The college slum lord market in Indiana (thankfully) is all but dead.

Comment

When IUP (and others) was booming, incoming students were forced to live in un-air conditioned, glorified prison cells -- with a communal restroom/shower at the end of the hall. The buildings were old. It would be miserable in classrooms in September and May.

Ironically, now that the housing is better than many hotels, etc., and the campus is full of new, modern buildings, the enrollment has tanked.

Obviously, the two don't go hand in hand, but, it is quite ironic.

Last I heard, they aren't even opening two of the 'dorms' this Fall. They also shut down a couple of the more popular dining options this past Spring semester. The college slum lord market in Indiana (thankfully) is all but dead.
                          Only a matter of time before they institute a 2-year campus residency requirement.

Comment

Nobody can predict the future but I think the new IUP science building can be a huge asset for the school. The facility is designed to be utilitarian.

The emphasis on STEM at IUP is also supported by PASSHE at the central level. Hopefully, they can promote it through high schools in PA as the go-to place to major in science. Students will major in things that are in demand and they will have life-long marketability and it will come at a relatively low price when compared to other options. If handled right, it can be a real boon for IUP.

While many of us have been critical of Driscoll, the STEM emphasis is in his wheelhouse and I think that will work well. I think there is also a plan to expand into new programs.

If this doesn't push IUP back to where people expect it to be, nothing will. It's a pretty big thing and I think it stands out from the crowd.

Comment

Only a matter of time before they institute a 2-year campus residency requirement.
                              IUP had no housing for graduate students in my day, so maybe that's available now. I recall the days at Bloom, when seniors were not allowed to live on campus, and juniors were put into a lottery to see if there was any housing available.Otherwise, good luck finding a place to live in town. As for cars, they were not allowed for freshman, who were required to live on campus, unless they were commuting from their homes. As the world turns...

Comment

• For whatever reason hotels near ESU on the weekend of September 10th are either full or just about full.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X