Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE IUP Football Thread

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
    Looks like both SRU and IUP HC's picked Cal instead of picking the other 1st.
    Voting for Slimey is a no no.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      IUP Football tweeted they have an announcement coming today.

      Those silly teasers over there lol.
      So. What was it?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Let's get this roster released.
        Remember IUP comes to camp later than there foes due no week 1 game . Wouldn’t anticipate roster anytime soon. In addition there is no SID as he left in June I believe.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

          Remember IUP comes to camp later than there foes due no week 1 game . Wouldn’t anticipate roster anytime soon. In addition there is no SID as he left in June I believe.
          When does IUP report to camp?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

            When does IUP report to camp?
            Saturday, but they’ll be reporting without punter Dylan Grubbs who tore a knee ligament working out at home. That’s a pretty big loss in my view. The roster is to be released this week. All of this is per Matt’s article in the Gazette today.

            There’s still not a solid backup quarterback on the roster. The article mentions a talented kid coming in from Colorado, Nico Marchitelli, who played a year at the Kiki School, but he’ll be a true freshman. This is the biggest area of concern for the team in my opinion. If Sexton goes down, then what? Not to mention Sexton has never taken a snap here. He’s a proven commodity, yes, but IUP fans shouldn’t be marking their calendars for playoff games just yet.

            I have to imagine most teams are thin at QB as the days of a kid being happy to play second fiddle and sticking with a program long term seem to be gone.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

              Saturday, but they’ll be reporting without punter Dylan Grubbs who tore a knee ligament working out at home. That’s a pretty big loss in my view. The roster is to be released this week. All of this is per Matt’s article in the Gazette today.

              There’s still not a solid backup quarterback on the roster. The article mentions a talented kid coming in from Colorado, Nico Marchitelli, who played a year at the Kiki School, but he’ll be a true freshman. This is the biggest area of concern for the team in my opinion. If Sexton goes down, then what? Not to mention Sexton has never taken a snap here. He’s a proven commodity, yes, but IUP fans shouldn’t be marking their calendars for playoff games just yet.

              I have to imagine most teams are thin at QB as the days of a kid being happy to play second fiddle and sticking with a program long term seem to be gone.
              I guess they couldn’t land the kid from Bryant must not have wanted to sit a year

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                I guess they couldn’t land the kid from Bryant must not have wanted to sit a year
                Sexton has two years so as mentioned signing a (quality) backup transfer wasn't going to be easy.

                Awful news on Grubbs. He's certainly one of the top punters in D2.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                  I guess they couldn’t land the kid from Bryant must not have wanted to sit a year
                  Why would he have had to sit a year coming from Bryant?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

                    Saturday, but they’ll be reporting without punter Dylan Grubbs who tore a knee ligament working out at home. That’s a pretty big loss in my view. The roster is to be released this week. All of this is per Matt’s article in the Gazette today.

                    There’s still not a solid backup quarterback on the roster. The article mentions a talented kid coming in from Colorado, Nico Marchitelli, who played a year at the Kiki School, but he’ll be a true freshman. This is the biggest area of concern for the team in my opinion. If Sexton goes down, then what? Not to mention Sexton has never taken a snap here. He’s a proven commodity, yes, but IUP fans shouldn’t be marking their calendars for playoff games just yet.

                    I have to imagine most teams are thin at QB as the days of a kid being happy to play second fiddle and sticking with a program long term seem to be gone.
                    Grubbs is a big loss. I'm sure one of the younger guys can step up but Grubbs is special at this level. Some games it won't make a difference but in big games he could change the game with a punt.

                    As far as backup QB I'm still not sure why there is little confidence in the others guys who have been in the program. As I remember reading, the kid from Colorado might have a lot of potential but the team he played for in Colorado actually competed at the JV level because they were just reinstating the program or something. Plus, I think he moved around a lot and doesn't really have a strong pedigree on paper. However, I trust Tort who says he's pretty good.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

                      Grubbs is a big loss. I'm sure one of the younger guys can step up but Grubbs is special at this level. Some games it won't make a difference but in big games he could change the game with a punt.

                      As far as backup QB I'm still not sure why there is little confidence in the others guys who have been in the program. As I remember reading, the kid from Colorado might have a lot of potential but the team he played for in Colorado actually competed at the JV level because they were just reinstating the program or something. Plus, I think he moved around a lot and doesn't really have a strong pedigree on paper. However, I trust Tort who says he's pretty good.
                      He played last year at The Kiski School.

                      They fluctuate with talent from year to year but typically have a lot of it. They also typically have some post-grad players.

                      Being that is only about 30 minutes from IUP, I'm sure they got to see him in person. They play similar private prep schools and the competition is fairly high.

                      They have to be smart with Sexton ... i.e. no stat-padding in blowouts, etc. If that means he sits the 4th quarter so be it.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

                        He played last year at The Kiski School.

                        They fluctuate with talent from year to year but typically have a lot of it. They also typically have some post-grad players.

                        Being that is only about 30 minutes from IUP, I'm sure they got to see him in person. They play similar private prep schools and the competition is fairly high.

                        They have to be smart with Sexton ... i.e. no stat-padding in blowouts, etc. If that means he sits the 4th quarter so be it.
                        Actually, I looked up some clips of Marchitelli and he does look real good. Extremely athletic with a big arm. Seems like IUP is developing a QB Connection.

                        https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/nico-marchitelli/d1nF5m2rEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/default.htm






                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

                          Actually, I looked up some clips of Marchitelli and he does look real good. Extremely athletic with a big arm. Seems like IUP is developing a QB Connection.

                          https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/nico-marchitelli/d1nF5m2rEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/default.htm





                          Posted above is from an all-star game at Cowboys Stadium. Below is from Kiski. He looks good.

                          https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/nic...FA/default.htm

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

                            Actually, I looked up some clips of Marchitelli and he does look real good. Extremely athletic with a big arm. Seems like IUP is developing a QB Connection.

                            https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/nico-marchitelli/d1nF5m2rEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/default.htm






                            This will be a good test case to the above conversation. If Sexton is as advertised, Marchitelli will likely have to sit the next two years before perhaps taking over.

                            The tricky thing in this era is getting him to stay for two years before playing. I assume he redshirts this year although he could still dress as the emergency QB. I believe they can dress but if you take one snap it then counts as a game played.

                            Reading between the quotes in the paper I get the vibe they aren't real warm/fuzzy with the other QBs on the roster.

                            I know they put the QBs in different color 'no hit' jerseys for camp/practice. They may want to put Sexton in a bubble.

                            Comment


                            • Am I to assume that the DL that Tort is hoping to sign is the kid from Cal?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post


                                This will be a good test case to the above conversation. If Sexton is as advertised, Marchitelli will likely have to sit the next two years before perhaps taking over.

                                The tricky thing in this era is getting him to stay for two years before playing. I assume he redshirts this year although he could still dress as the emergency QB. I believe they can dress but if you take one snap it then counts as a game played.

                                Reading between the quotes in the paper I get the vibe they aren't real warm/fuzzy with the other QBs on the roster.

                                I know they put the QBs in different color 'no hit' jerseys for camp/practice. They may want to put Sexton in a bubble.
                                Right. However, if you watch that all-star game clip Marchitelli can really run. I could see them using both of them. Should be interesting.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X