Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShipAlum
    replied
    Primanti Brothers opened a location in the Baltimore area near BWI in January.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

There's a small strip mall in front of the McDonald's (within the Regency Mall property). It's in there.

The Valley Dairy is still in the same location.

The Primanti's is on one end of this little strip and a popular Mexican restaurant is on the other. Those are technically the two closest bars to campus.

I suspect it will do pretty well there. It's not as big as other Primanti's but it's big enough.

The interesting piece of commercial property in Indiana is where Rustic Lodge was for 80 years. It closed last year. Not sure what will go in there. I'd love to see an Olive Garden or something similar.
    You don’t want an Olive Garden.

Id laugh if it became a Wawa. It’s only a matter of time when they finally fully push into Sheetz territory.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

There's actually a Primanti's in Hagerstown, Md. They seem to be getting around.
    Do you ever go to Shula's in Hagerstown? It's one of my frequent stops while traveling down that way.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

There's a small strip mall in front of the McDonald's (within the Regency Mall property). It's in there.

The Primanti's is on one end of this little strip and a popular Mexican restaurant is on the other. Those are technically the two closest bars to campus.

I suspect it will do pretty well there. It's not as big as other Primanti's but it's big enough.

The interesting piece of commercial property in Indiana is where Rustic Lodge was for 80 years. It closed last year. Not sure what will go in there. I'd love to see an Olive Garden or something similar.
    There's actually a Primanti's in Hagerstown, Md. They seem to be getting around.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It's in the the old Regency Mall where the Martin's (Yinzer version of Giant from Carlisle) is located...it does seem to be near the Mickey D's and it looks to be a newer addition to the center.

That is what I got from Google Maps.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Question about the location of this. I will probably visit it on my next trip to Indiana (although I don't know when that will be).

Where is it exactly? The picture I saw online in the IG showed it relative to McDonald's. Is the Valley Dairy restaurant still there or is Primanti's actually in that space? Is Primanti's replacing some other business or is it a new building?

Yes, Nation. I think I would separate out the fires from the sandwich but the cole slaw can stay,
    It's in the the old Regency Mall where the Martin's (Yinzer version of Giant from Carlisle) is located...it does seem to be near the Mickey D's and it looks to be a newer addition to the center.

That is what I got from Google Maps.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Indiana must rank..it’s got a Primanti Brothers.

Not that I find Sammie’s with Cole slaw and fries on it appetizing but they didn’t open one in Slimey Pebble did they?

:-)
    Question about the location of this. I will probably visit it on my next trip to Indiana (although I don't know when that will be).

Where is it exactly? The picture I saw online in the IG showed it relative to McDonald's. Is the Valley Dairy restaurant still there or is Primanti's actually in that space? Is Primanti's replacing some other business or is it a new building?

Yes, Nation. I think I would separate out the fries from the sandwich but the cole slaw can stay,
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 03-27-2024, 10:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Beisbol now 12-4.
    And, that's after an 0-3 start (against a Southern power who had already played 9 games at the time).

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Beisbol now 12-4.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Interesting. He might be the right guy now because of the STEM/med school direction. However, I think that during the period of "taking on water" IUP needed a stronger personality at the helm. Someone like Angelo Armenti but more ethical. Driscoll had no answers for the changes IUP was experiencing. Maybe nobody did, I don't know.
    I think most PASSHE schools could use a more ethical Angelo Armenti right now. It might be possible that the STEM & med strategic moves is because Driscoll is president. Not so much that he chose what is close to him but moreso he was more apt to recognize how those are built out and look at a school like IUP. I believe he was a dean or provost at Portland State, a school I'd compare to what IUP used to be.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I agree with you that Driscoll has provided calm, stable leadership while IUP takes on water. He also benefits from the masses still thinking IUP is at its traditional enrollment and strength. They've been able to trumpet some nice success stories during the times of campus difficulty, which is much better than the Penn West campuses can say. Is he an exciting, dynamic guy whose electric personality drives innovation and success? Hell no. But Driscoll is deliberate, logical, and methodical and that is keeping IUP from the freefall at the Penn West campuses.
    Interesting. He might be the right guy now because of the STEM/med school direction. However, I think that during the period of "taking on water" IUP needed a stronger personality at the helm. Someone like Angelo Armenti but more ethical. Driscoll had no answers for the changes IUP was experiencing. Maybe nobody did, I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Stress.
    He’s most likely the highest paid resident in Indiana County. He could buy Heilwood with a years salary! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Basically the Captain of the Titanic ... only he survived and got to keep his job.
    I agree with you that Driscoll has provided calm, stable leadership while IUP takes on water. He also benefits from the masses still thinking IUP is at its traditional enrollment and strength. They've been able to trumpet some nice success stories during the times of campus difficulty, which is much better than the Penn West campuses can say. Is he an exciting, dynamic guy whose electric personality drives innovation and success? Hell no. But Driscoll is deliberate, logical, and methodical and that is keeping IUP from the freefall at the Penn West campuses.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Stress.
    Basically the Captain of the Titanic ... only he survived and got to keep his job.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    The presidential selection process is all the same:

1) Search committee made up of students, alumni, faculty and staff from each union, trustees, a rep from the PASSHE Board of Governors, and a president from another PASSHE school. They select the first group of semifinalists to do screening interviews. Sometimes these are "airport" interviews where everyone is flown in for a 60 minute screening with the committee at the hotel connected to the closest airport, presumably the Hyatt at PIT.

2) Search committee narrows it down to finalists who come to campus for 36 hours. Out of the finalists, the committee sends the campus Council of Trustees the names of only those they are willing to endorse as president, unranked. The Council of Trustees sends a ranked list to the Chancellor and the PASSHE Board of Governors.

3) Those names put forward are interviewed by the Chancellor and Board of Governors. The Chancellor then selects the next president with approval from the PASSHE Board of Governors.

So yeah, technically IUP doesn't pick its own president, but their search committee narrows the field from 75 to 2 or 3. The problem is who has say & power - there are far more employees than alumni & trustees. The unions pick their representatives so you know they're sending fighters instead of people with strong interest volunteering on their own. The same thing happens EVERY time. The committee identifies its needs (i.e. strategic planning, fundraising, enrollment, community engagement) but regardless, the faculty veto anyone who doesn't have a teaching faculty background, even if that doesn't lend itself to those previously determined university needs. So you get a somewhat strange academic whose expertise is anthropology of Micronesia, not how to reverse the downward trend of a regional public university.

Our schools also don't pick their own trustees nor do alumni have students have a say.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X