X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

People on this message board wanted to run that guy out of town, if I recall correctly. He was a gun slinger, but there was no question he could lead the offense and put up points.
    If I remember correctly, he was a little too confident in his location accuracy and threw more INTs than many were comfortable with.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

The more I hear the more I want the noise to go away. I about fell out of my chair when I read that this morning. Is this real life?
    It's so bad it's hilarious.

I want a "I was right" t-shirt.

Just curious what Gary Dunn or Shawn Lutz could have done with Tort's alleged 'year away' offense.

​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

People on this message board wanted to run that guy out of town, if I recall correctly. He was a gun slinger, but there was no question he could lead the offense and put up points.
    Not this guy. I liked him a lot. He was making DI throws and people didn’t even know what they were watching. No, he wasn’t a runner at all, but IUP would have absolutely been better if he was still here.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

That is an incredible comment for him to make. Shippensburg, starting true freshman on its o-line, starting a freshman at QB, featuring a tailback that was fourth on the depth chart in spring ball, and trying to recover from the loss of two of its best three offensive players from last year to transfer (Khalid Dorsey and Ian Sheehan), is a "year away" (maybe two for that matter) on offense. IUP — not so much.
    The more I hear the more I want the noise to go away. I about fell out of my chair when I read that this morning. Is this real life?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepBallEnjoyer View Post

He's done after this season.

Top 10 every receiving stat while the team has a combined 427 passing yards in their past 3 games. LOL! Ridley is no slouch either. That guy has hands!

This offense is SO horrible that I sincerely think that we'd be better off running Zinobile and Ridley on go routes and lobbing it up every play. I'm 100% serious I genuinely think an OC who ran hail mary every play would do better with our talent than what we're seeing. If your team can't run and your QBs can't read just lob it up there.
    We can only pray to see something different than a buffet of two 1-yard runs up the middle, an incomplete pass and a say-a-prayer punt.

And, if they win the toss, take the dang ball. Each time they've deferred this season they've given up an opening drive TD.

Leave a comment:

• DeepBallEnjoyer
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Does Zinobile have any seasons left after this one? He's performing pretty well. Top 10 in every statistic, top 3 in a couple.
    He's done after this season.

Top 10 every receiving stat while the team has a combined 427 passing yards in their past 3 games. LOL! Ridley is no slouch either. That guy has hands!

This offense is SO horrible that I sincerely think that we'd be better off running Zinobile and Ridley on go routes and lobbing it up every play. I'm 100% serious I genuinely think an OC who ran hail mary every play would do better with our talent than what we're seeing. If your team can't run and your QBs can't read just lob it up there.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

No, I'm pretty sure he's done. I don't know how well they'll throw the ball the next five games between these two backup QBs. So, his rankings and stats will likely take a serious dive.

You can't help but wonder what this WR group would have done had Mak Sexton not left. A second year in this offense with those weapons and his arm ... man, he'd have put up crazy numbers this year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Does Zinobile have any seasons left after this one? He's performing pretty well. Top 10 in every statistic, top 3 in a couple.
    No, I'm pretty sure he's done. I don't know how well they'll throw the ball the next five games between these two backup QBs. So, his rankings and stats will likely take a serious dive.

You can't help but wonder what this WR group would have done had Mak Sexton not left. A second year in this offense with those weapons and his arm ... man, he'd have put up crazy numbers this year.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

That is a pretty amazing comment. It sure made me do a double-take when I read it. For further clarification, here's all the 'new guys' they had to deal with on offense:

Karst Hunter (QB) - Was the top-rated D2 QB available in the Transfer Portal per many. Also had several FCS offers.

Derek Lockhart (WR) - Was injured in first half of first game at IUP in 2022, so, yes, he was technically a new player. Highly-decorated career at California prior to IUP.

Quinn Zinobile (WR) - D1 transfer, grad student, previously very successful stint in the PSAC. Had offers from every big D2 team around.

Kelechi Okoro (OL) - In his fourth year of college ball

Daric Cotman (OL) - Transfer from UVA-Wise with nearly 30 college games under his belt.

This 'year away' offense also returned:

Dayjure Stewart (RB / Junior)
    JD Younger (RB / Sophomore)
    Adam Houser (RB / Junior)
    Randy Washington (RB / Junior)
    Parker Gregg (RB / Sophomore)

Hilton Ridley (WR / Junior)
    Isaiah Houser (WR / Sophomore)
    Daniel Deabner (WR / Junior)

McLean Djouha (OL / Graduate)
    Gerald Comedy (OL Junior)

Cole Laney (TE / Junior)

Now, when one reads that list -- with knowledge of these players' pedigree and past successes -- does that really seem like a 'year away' unit?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

That is an incredible comment for him to make. Shippensburg, starting true freshman on its o-line, starting a freshman at QB, featuring a tailback that was fourth on the depth chart in spring ball, and trying to recover from the loss of two of its best three offensive players from last year to transfer (Khalid Dorsey and Ian Sheehan), is a "year away" (maybe two for that matter) on offense. IUP — not so much.

That is a pretty amazing comment. It sure made me do a double-take when I read it. For further clarification, here's all the 'new guys' they had to deal with on offense:

Karst Hunter (QB) - Was the top-rated D2 QB available in the Transfer Portal per many. Also had several FCS offers.

Derek Lockhart (WR) - Was injured in first half of first game at IUP in 2022, so, yes, he was technically a new player. Highly-decorated career at California prior to IUP.

Quinn Zinobile (WR) - D1 transfer, grad student, previously very successful stint in the PSAC. Had offers from every big D2 team around.

Kelechi Okoro (OL) - In his fourth year of college ball

Daric Cotman (OL) - Transfer from UVA-Wise with nearly 30 college games under his belt.

This 'year away' offense also returned:

Dayjure Stewart (RB / Junior)
    JD Younger (RB / Sophomore)
    Adam Houser (RB / Junior)
    Randy Washington (RB / Junior)
    Parker Gregg (RB / Sophomore)

Hilton Ridley (WR / Junior)
    Isaiah Houser (WR / Sophomore)
    Daniel Deabner (WR / Junior)

McLean Djouha (OL / Graduate)
    Gerald Comedy (OL Junior)

Cole Laney (TE / Junior)

Now, when one reads that list -- with knowledge of these players' pedigree and past successes -- does that really seem like a 'year away' unit?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

I caught Jake Nulph's show this week.

He has a bright future and his enthusiasm is contagious. With his situation (triad, no money), it's hard to judge simply in wins/losses.

Point is it was abundantly clear watching his show they are extremely excited to come here this weekend -- and are coming here to win.

Biggest question in town this week (by the few still paying attention) is what mentality will IUP have this Saturday? Previously eliminated Tort teams have thrown in the towel ('18 was blown out by Ship and '21 lost to Edinboro).

This isn't a 'show up and win game' ... IUP isn't that good right now.

Tort's job isn't in jeopardy (in my opinion), but if they tank these last 5 games it will cause some serious discussions.

If IUP has its typical slow start, it will only make things worse. We saw it last time Edinboro came here. This is a big game for the Scots. Is IUP going to mope and complain about the weather or is it going to show up and play for pride?

The 'bookie' number in town is IUP -3.5 (yes, you can actually bet on the games). Amazingly, I think that spread is pretty accurate based on all the circumstances.

IUP has a slew of players out (on offense), etc. The defense, if engaged, should carry the day. But, this team is in a fragile state. We know they'll be 'prepared' and all. So we've heard, anyway.
    I like Nulph a lot. I appreciate his usually positive outlook on things given his foundation at Edinboro. For as much as the Bradford to Nulph transition pissed off football alumni, Nulph has successfully found money for a total modern locker room renovation, a scoreboard refresh (no video), and coming this summer new turf. He's probably down to single digit scholarships but he's got other things to sell. I questioned his hiring because he wasn't a sitting coordinator and was most recently a part-timer but he definitely has what people who interviewed him shared with me. My only reservations are with coordinator play calling and where he lives.

I hate saying it but he's going to be a great candidate for RMU when they eventually have a vacancy. Maybe IUP as well lol.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Well, I think that's a P.R. spin on his behalf to the local yocals who don't really follow the team real closely.

Exact quote:

"Before the season, I thought we were a year away with all the new guys on offense, and I was right."

Good Lord. No wonder they are 3-3.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

That's crazy to say. The amount experience coming back, had everyone thinking they were the #1 contender for the region. EVERYONE thought that. I'm not even a Hawks guy, and that pisses me off for a HC to say that.
    Well, I think that's a P.R. spin on his behalf to the local yocals who don't really follow the team real closely.

Exact quote:

"Before the season, I thought we were a year away with all the new guys on offense, and I was right."

Good Lord. No wonder they are 3-3.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Tort said in the IG today he thought before the season his offense was a year away.

This is the same team in August that had (3) stud WRs, (3) experienced RBs, a monster TE, the coveted junior QB transfer and several highly-touted OL transfers (in addition to Djouha staying and Comedy), right?
    That's crazy to say. The amount experience coming back, had everyone thinking they were the #1 contender for the region. EVERYONE thought that. I'm not even a Hawks guy, and that pisses me off for a HC to say that.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Tort said in the IG today he thought before the season his offense was a year away.

This is the same team in August that had (3) stud WRs, (3) experienced RBs, a monster TE, the coveted junior QB transfer and several highly-touted OL transfers (in addition to Djouha staying and Comedy), right?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X