Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
    Columnist for the PSAC keeps referencing Dajour Fisher DT for IUP. He's not even on the roster. I recall someone talking about that in this thread at some point, is that guy even playing or no? And how did he make 2nd team PSAC West with no sacks and no TFL's lol!
    Dajour Fisher suffered a career-ending knee injury in practice the week leading up to the final game of last season. He was inadvertently left on the roster for a couple of days last month because of a glitch in updating the athletics website. He is not with the team, nor is he expected to be back. He was named second-team all-PSAC West because he was a nose guard whose job was to clog the lanes, which he was very good at (320 pounds).

Grubbs, the punter, is also out, but he is expected back next year.

I'm guessing the PSAC blogger looked at last year's all-conference teams and made the assumption that all underclassmen are back.
    http://www.indianagazette.com
    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Former IUP backup QB Javon Davis won the starting job at Wheeling. He went 9-25 for 91 yards, 1 TD and 2 interceptions in last nights win against Seton Hill.

Comment

• IUP has offered Penn Cambria (dual threat) QB Garrett Harrold (6'4", 200 lbs). Class of 2023.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

See above ... literally cost them their rivalry game vs SRU that year.
          What about Lenny's 3 turnovers??

Comment

• Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

What about them? Even with those, IUP wins if the kicker makes those three chippy XP's. Missed XP's in college should never happen but turnovers will from time to time.

Comment

• Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

He's talking about the 2015 IUP-SRU game. That night, IUP missed 3 XPs and 1 FG and lost 40-39. Lenny threw for 364 (no picks) and ran for 140.

The 3 TO game was in 2018, but IUP didn't miss any kicks in that one.

Comment

• Too much to process here in a short post. Read Matt's article in today's IG.

Some good things but also some bad things.

Comment

Too much to process here in a short post. Read Matt's article in today's IG.

Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this season. they're gonna need some luck, I think, to make Playoffs. And Tort hasn't been very lucky - hopefully it swings in his direction this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this season. they're gonna need some luck, I think, to make Playoffs. And Tort hasn't been very lucky - hopefully it swings in his direction this year.
                    Freshmen (some true) at K, P and long-snapper.

Good Lord.

Injuries (many) already.

Comment

Too much to process here in a short post. Read Matt's article in today's IG.

That report doesn't concern me too much. We already know the K/P situation. And LS.

There are going to be injuries. It's not that many. Howard probably gets back from the concussion soon. Moore is a little bit of a concern because I think the DL is the thinnest part of the lineup.

As far as the competition at cornerback, that's a good thing. RB is a concern, too. But they can pass, I think.

Houser seems injury-prone. Hoping the hammy doesn't linger.

Comment

Freshmen (some true) at K, P and long-snapper.

Good Lord.
                        Last year's PK and LS were both true freshmen. They did OK.

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                        Houser seems injury-prone. Hoping the hammy doesn't linger.
                        It's my understanding that it was a minor injury and he could have played in the scrimmage but there was no reason to. They were trying to see who else is worthy of getting carries.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

From what I have seen and know: This team is potentially better than some of the good teams we've had in recent years.

Here's why:
                          1. Veteran OL (4 starters back and the one new addition (Comedy) I have been told is already very special.
                          2. Good pass rush (Fowler, Feazell, Mayr) and good CBs (esp. Taylor). Good teams have both, mediocre teams have one.
                          3. Excellent skill. Brown has had his best camp yet. Lockhart looks the part. Carter can help many ways. Stewart and Houser are a solid 1-2 punch.
                          4. Tight ends. The new OC wants to use these guys like WRs and create matchup problems. Grant Smith is proven, but Cole Laney could be a major weapon. Huge target, has speed.

Concerns
                          1. The kicking game. Sounds bad to be starting over, but the 3 punts blocked last year weren't the fault of the snapper or the punter.
                          2. DL depth. If Mitchell gets hurt, they could be hurting up the middle.
                          3. The QB. If Sexton is what they think he is––and he has had a very good camp––then they can be very potent on offense. If he gets hurt or is ineffective, they won't be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Last year's PK and LS were both true freshmen. They did OK.

It's my understanding that it was a minor injury and he could have played in the scrimmage but there was no reason to. They were trying to see who else is worthy of getting carries.
                            Hopefully they do OK. True freshmen -- at any position -- make me nervous.

Obviously there have been exceptions.

Can't tell until the lights get bright.

Comment

• FYI, the first Hawk Talk is tonight ... 6 p.m. at the Hilton.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

From what I have seen and know: This team is potentially better than some of the good teams we've had in recent years.

Here's why:
                                1. Veteran OL (4 starters back and the one new addition (Comedy) I have been told is already very special.
                                2. Good pass rush (Fowler, Feazell, Mayr) and good CBs (esp. Taylor). Good teams have both, mediocre teams have one.
                                3. Excellent skill. Brown has had his best camp yet. Lockhart looks the part. Carter can help many ways. Stewart and Houser are a solid 1-2 punch.
                                4. Tight ends. The new OC wants to use these guys like WRs and create matchup problems. Grant Smith is proven, but Cole Laney could be a major weapon. Huge target, has speed.

Concerns
                                1. The kicking game. Sounds bad to be starting over, but the 3 punts blocked last year weren't the fault of the snapper or the punter.
                                2. DL depth. If Mitchell gets hurt, they could be hurting up the middle.
                                3. The QB. If Sexton is what they think he is––and he has had a very good camp––then they can be very potent on offense. If he gets hurt or is ineffective, they won't be.
                                My assessment (sight unseen, of course) is they are going to score lots of points.

It's going to be hard to really focus on any one position or player for a defense ... i.e. focus too much on Duane and the others will smash you.

The previous OC drove me (and most) bonkers by not utilizing his big TEs.

I love the RB combo at 1A and 1B. They have to stay healthy. I love the idea of Q. Carter getting time at RB. He's elusive and a burner. Great spot back and a great pass catcher out of the backfield. Probably not a coincidence that was mentioned this week ... one more headache for ESU to prepare to face. If the top two stay healthy, that is a legit duo teams will have to fear. Start worrying about the run and all those targets go crazy.

They are really big at WR. Duane is only 6' (rare player I think listed shorter than he is) but plays way bigger and is a physical specimen. Ridley and Lockhart are both 6'3" (ish). I saw all I needed to see from Lockhart when he smoked IUP a year ago for 9 catches, 160-some yards and 2 TDs. He's very physical, too.

And, as you said, the OL doesn't get the pub on here but that starting unit is stacked. They'll need to keep working the depth.

Hopefully they get the opportunity to have some big leads and get the bench some work. Only a matter of time until somebody will be needed.

First and foremost, Sexton doesn't need to be in any stat races. They get up comfortably ... get him out of the game. The thought of them going to the bench at QB this year is frightening. Tort has had the tendency to keep stars in far too long. Recall Duane got hurt two years ago in the second half with IUP up 35 or 42 points. They may yap about coming out but tough sh!t.

Point is the D isn't going to need to pitch shutouts. There's probably only a couple teams on the schedule that can hold IUP to 28-35 points or less.

Their offense was stale and predictable the last couple years. They just had the athletes that when clicking teams couldn't stop it. Having some fresh blood at OC will pose the element of surprise. Hell, last year we could call the plays from the home side and be correct about 85% of the time.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X