Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I disagree with a lot of what you are saying.

1) Sexton was average at best. He made a lot of poor decisions in that game and should've had more ints had the DB's held on. - Naw, 26-37-2 and 3 TDs - see BigIndians post below.
    2) The offensive gameplan had a few moments but sure did nothing for the run game and they sure didn't use the middle of the field much. -- the running schemes are a big improvement. you'll see when Stewarts back. The pass call on 3rd and 2 on IUP's 47 in the 4th that was picked I might question.
    3) The defense was atrocious on all levels: game plan, adjustments and the personnel. They stopped them the last series when it counted.
    4) Mental mistakes were costly the whole game from false starts to the terrible taunting by Sexton at the end of the game. Depends on whether it was a legit call or not. If the same stuff had been happening all game, and they called this one, well . . .
    5) The injuries, yikes! Adam Houser is brittle/soft. Lockhart is just bad luck. All the injuries are worrisome. Tort is the unluckiest coach I've seen with players missing games. Houser soft, naw.
    6) They better get Duane Brown hydrated. Absolutely
    7) The freshman kicker showed poise after the first miss. (suspect snap/hold) - best part of the game.

Comment

• Not to sound condescending to the doomsayers on here but football, like everything else, is about growth and development. Injuries notwithstanding, they are still the same team as they are on paper. First game jitters, long bus ride, new coaches, and unfortunate injuries. The coaches and the players have to step up. No doubt about that. We'll see what happens with the injuries, but by the time they play SRU, they can be a different team than we saw yesterday.

I don't know Moore's status on the DL. The boxscore says he started. If he was in there, he probably isn't 100%. Healthy starters on the DL can make a big difference. I think the LB's are strong, regardless of how they looked yesterday. The secondary will get better. Cirillo and his unit were good yesterday. I don't think they were the previous week.

Aside from the OL, IUP actually played a lot of young players yesterday. The OL will get it together.

I might be the eternal optimist when it comes to IUP football (and the Phillies) but I am hopeful for this team.

Lockhardt being carried off of the field reminded me of the Phillies' new CF Marsh a couple weeks ago who hit the wall in CF and crumbled to the ground writhing in pain and clutching his knee. What appeared to be season-ending for him turned out not to be and he is now back to 100%. I wish the same for Lockhart. I guess we'll know the prognosis soon. Nevertheless, what Tort said in the halftime interview about having a lot of players is true. They are deep at WR.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Yes. He’s not one of the issues.

Now what worries me is last night was the same insanity as last years opener and what followed the next week…a smack down. Shippensburg has to have some confidence a wounded bird is coming to town.
        I'd like to think differently, but I think Ship will be little more than a speed bump for you guys if they don't get their offense together. Their best weapon actually has been the kickoff return. O-line is as bad as I've seen it in many years. I also don't think we have anybody who can cover Brown. This might be a year I actually worry about the Millersville and Lock Haven games, let alone IUP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

I tell you something that crossed my mind as I was reading your reply. Maybe it's just me thinking you have it more than most. I mean, we don't hear about this stuff from most schools because they don't have the fan base that you all do.
          Yea, Shepherd lost 2 starters during preseason from what I heard too. Just part of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I'd like to think differently, but I think Ship will be little more than a speed bump for you guys if they don't get their offense together. Their best weapon actually has been the kickoff return. O-line is as bad as I've seen it in many years. I also don't think we have anybody who can cover Brown. This might be a year I actually worry about the Millersville and Lock Haven games, let alone IUP.
            What Ship said. We don't have the horses for your second team.

Comment

So, an honest question. You guys seem to have something medical going on to start every season to a key player and/or position. What is the deal with that? Poor preparation or conditioning? Just plain old bad luck? A combination of the two or something else?

I know all of our teams have health issues at times, but you all seem to get them earlier than most.
              It’s called football and bad luck, do u understand, geez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                Sexton kind of reminds me of Chase Haslett. Lots of talent, a little too much confidence, and mediocre results. But it was just the first game. Another downside of the 10 game schedule: you're still shaking off the rust but your opponent isn't. I imagine IUP will finish 8-2. They'll probably drop Slip plus one annual bone head loss.
                If u weren’t there live it’s hard to comment on Sexton. If u were there live like myself and u don’t believe he looked good u are Nutz.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I agree about the defense. Given they were missing a starting DT, and had a few injuries, biggest one being Howard. Terwilliger figured out the defensive scheme halfway through the 2nd quarter, and IUP stuck with it until the 4th Q, not good. Taylor really underpreformed, lets hope it was just a bad day, and they will improve - but they have a long way to go. Losing houser seemed to hurt the run game, ESU's best players are D-lineman, So I'm not too concerned about the line - but all those false starts for such a senior group was not good.

There are some pluses though

1 -they won
                  2 - Sexton to Brown is all that we expected and more. they are able to carry the offense against a pretty good ESU defense, the depth at WR is really good. If they have a running game at all they will be hard for anyone to stop.
                  3 - The Offensive game plan was solid, The new OC did well
                  4 - The kicking game did well, should be OK
                  5. ESU is much better than its loss to Pace - someone said they were looking past Pace - might be true
                  6. They fought back after they were down, and beat up.

The last unsportsmanlike call was really bad. I think the distraction call after that was a bit of a makeup call - never have I seen that called before.
                  accurate assessment. From what I saw LIVE here are the pros and cons from last nite…ESU offensive is decent trigger and RB’s are good experienced players along with a ton of 5/6 year players other than a bad 4 minutes at Pace they will win more in East than lose….offensively IUP will be fine . Sexton was clean all nite and his arm strength is best I have seen in years in this league. OL was solid other than false starts which has never been a problem in the past. WR group is scary good if Lockhart doesn’t get hurt I really don’t know how teams could of kept him and Brown in check. Depth is there Ridley could be star opposite Brown and Howser’s brother will be home run hitter with freakish speed. RB 1 will be back at Ship and I still believe he is the real deal now that his weight is down and seeing him at camp, clear cut above A. Howser. Carter as the #2 RB ain’t shabby….Defense let’s just say 2 of there better starters Moore and Howard did not play and will be ready at Ship so right there that helps tremendously as both are proven solid players. On the negative pass rush better get better especially against teams that have competent triggers like ESU guy was. Defense needs to settle on DB’S and eliminate the ones that can’t play and there was a couple that got exposed. CB from Cal is a good player hopefully we can chalk it up as a bad nite. LB play was average but there is experience there. Special teams were good, kid looks like a good punter for sure and kickoff guy and coverage was good. Brown very dangerous in punt game but defense needs stops to give some field to work with. Carter injury could hinder kick return….INTANGIBLES- first time in Long time other team was the one with stupid unsporting fouls. The one on Sexton with 3 seconds called is travesty to officiating and that official should be reprimanded. Team did not quit when there was adversity, injuries , blown lead and 3 starters out. Also a good start which has been an issue in the past 3 years. In addition any Coach will tell u first games suck especially if your opponent already played. So hopefully they can clean up the secondary, pass rush and get the injured guys back. League across the board down year I believe no super teams for sure with Shepherd lead dog due to QB. Tort now 20-2 on the road so hopefully number 21 occurs at Ship Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post
                    It’s called football and bad luck, do u understand, geez.
                    Child, settle down. The adults are talking.

Comment

• I just read Matt's write-up about the ESU game. It's confirmed that Lockhart tore his ACL and is out for the season. What a shame.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                        I just read Matt's write-up about the ESU game. It's confirmed that Lockhart tore his ACL and is out for the season. What a shame.
                        Tough loss for sure. It doesn’t sound like the other injuries are major or season ending, so that’s a positive. If you want to find a positive, at least Lockhart’s injury happened at the beginning of the season and the guys stepping in will have most of the season to gel. I saw some really good things from the receiving unit even after Lockhart’s departure and there’s still plenty to be excited about there.

Comment

If u weren’t there live it’s hard to comment on Sexton. If u were there live like myself and u don’t believe he looked good u are Nutz.
                          A lot of reckless throws that should’ve resulted in a couple more ints but you’re right, you know it all. Maybe he’ll throw to the wide open guy once in awhile.

Comment

• I was on the road and only caught a few possessions on the PSAC app. I thought he looked just okay - but that could have been a bad sample. It was also the first game of the year. I think he's got good pedigree and did see him zip some passes with great execution but nothing I haven't seen on lesser teams. Maybe my expectations were too high. I expected him to dominate the game but what I saw he looked solid but nothing spectacular.

Ironically, I've been to his hometown. My sister lived there for a few years splitting the drive between job in San Angelo and BF in Austin.

Comment

Child, settle down. The adults are talking.
                              It was a stupid question after 4000 posts, just stating fact my man.

Comment

It was a stupid question after 4000 posts, just stating fact my man.
                                I mean, it does seem to be an issue with your team every season, and I wasn't the only one who questioned it.

Again, the adults are talking. Go take your insults to the kiddie table.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X