• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

How so?
      Not enough to be gained.
      http://www.indianagazette.com
      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Not enough to be gained.
        Respectfully disagree. I think IUP struggles to get out of the PSAC because they can't see beyond the PSAC. I get the cupcake philosophy but IUP is also known to play down to its competition under Tort. A tough game to start the year gets the team playing tougher sooner.

Comment

Respectfully disagree. I think IUP struggles to get out of the PSAC because they can't see beyond the PSAC. I get the cupcake philosophy but IUP is also known to play down to its competition under Tort. A tough game to start the year gets the team playing tougher sooner.
          Ok, I don't think it will happen so this is basically theory. I tend to lean towards not shying away from something like that. IUP used to play the best in D2. Under Frank, the idea was to match up with the top teams from other regions. Now, though, the scoring for getting into the playoffs goes against playing teams from other regions (I think). So, I get that.

I just think IUP needs to elevate itself somehow. I would have no problem with them taking that chance. I think it would shake things up quite a bit. And, it would reverberate beyond IUP. It would make things more interesting.

Now, if the consideration is that we think we aren't good enough anymore, that's different, I guess.

Comment

Respectfully disagree. I think IUP struggles to get out of the PSAC because they can't see beyond the PSAC.
            I think you're under the assumption I think they should schedule a startup D3 or something. I am not. I don't think it makes any sense to play that game.

The ad you're referencing on Football Scoop says Valdosta wants a home game. Even though Valdosta says it will "help" with travel, IUP would still be looking at a 3-day trip, unless they fly, and they don't have the money to even think about that. IUP starts the league schedule at East Stroudsburg and then at Shippensburg, so why go on the road to play the national runner-up and then follow it with two road trips?

Also, would Valdosta even count as a D2 in-region game? I'm not certain, but I don't think so.

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            I get the cupcake philosophy but IUP is also known to play down to its competition under Tort.
            The last time IUP knowingly scheduled a cupcake was in the Frank Cignetti era (In 2014, St. Augustine's was supposed to be better than it was.) Otherwise, Southern Connecticut, New Haven, and Ashland have been competitive teams.

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            A tough game to start the year gets the team playing tougher sooner.
            Not sure that's always true.

Like I said, not enough to be gained. IUP would break the bank for too small a return. If they play an 11th game, it definitely should be at home and in the region, and preferably against a team likely to finish .500 or better.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              I tend to lean towards not shying away from something like that. IUP used to play the best in D2. Under Frank, the idea was to match up with the top teams from other regions.
              As I am sure you know, that was a far different world back then, financially and competitively. IUP had the money to make those trips, and the rest of the PSAC and region was playing Small College Football and viewing a league championship as the ultimate prize. We know Frank aspired for bigger things than that. [/QUOTE]

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              I just think IUP needs to elevate itself somehow. I would have no problem with them taking that chance. I think it would shake things up quite a bit. And, it would reverberate beyond IUP. It would make things more interesting.
              In a vacuum, you're mostly right. But as my response to FS82 says, there is far too little to be gained by playing at Valdosta in the 2022 season opener. Change some of the variables, and it would be a great idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Ok, I don't think it will happen so this is basically theory. I tend to lean towards not shying away from something like that. IUP used to play the best in D2. Under Frank, the idea was to match up with the top teams from other regions. Now, though, the scoring for getting into the playoffs goes against playing teams from other regions (I think). So, I get that.

Now, if the consideration is that we think we aren't good enough anymore, that's different, I guess.
                You and I think alike.

On social media, IUP and its promoters love to talk about its elite status. But they definitely don't schedule that way. It's almost like they'd rather brag about their win percentage than play an elite schedule like the elite team they are.

Comment

You and I think alike.
                  Are you left-handed?

Comment

You and I think alike.

On social media, IUP and its promoters love to talk about its elite status. But they definitely don't schedule that way. It's almost like they'd rather brag about their win percentage than play an elite schedule like the elite team they are.

Maybe the hype-machine that runs the Twitter account. But, by and large, the fan base isn't real excited as of late. Are some living in the past? Perhaps.

I think last year was a total freaking disaster. I've never seen a team that can't play at home. It's like Tort gives them Nyquil before the games. And, of course, the maddening thing is I saw the spirit and emotion that same team had when it clobbered Slippery Rock on the road.

In my opinion, IUP will always get hype, but if you put 4 big games a year in front of me and have me bet before the season starts ... I'm taking 2-2 every time.

Times are different. Most on this forum (I think) are of the age they remember the glory years when IUP curb-stomped the league most years. As said above, that happened for a variety of reasons: Drastically more money. A goal, most importantly supported by top brass, to become a national program. IUP was the first team in the conference to actively buy lots of high-profile transfers (baggage and all in that era). And, to drive the most important point home, drastically more money. While Tort has his moments -- good and bad -- he's no Frank. Maybe someday, but not yet.

Sure, they are a 'top tier' program in the PSAC, but clearly not the one on top. There is parity at the top now. Will IUP win a conference title again in the next 5 years? Probably. Will they win two? I doubt it. Will they lose at Adamson next year in the final 30 seconds on some fluke play? Probably.

I can't pinpoint it. Something .... has just been slightly off the past couple seasons. We see the good. We see the bad. We see the hyped up version one week. We see the zombies the next week.

Comment

• The Valdosta idea isn't even worth considering.

Yeah, say they somehow get sky-high and go down there and win. Then they travel back all day Sunday (in a bus). Monday everybody is exhausted. So, now you have an extremely short week for what will likely be a tough (very long again) road trip to ESU. Turn around and prep for yet another road game to Shippensburg.

If you are rolling with private planes, etc., .... maybe. But, this is the bus leagues. It just wouldn't make any sense. On top of it, who is paying for this trip?

I don't see anybody else volunteering.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        The Valdosta idea isn't even worth considering.

Yeah, say they somehow get sky-high and go down there and win. Then they travel back all day Sunday (in a bus). Monday everybody is exhausted. So, now you have an extremely short week for what will likely be a tough (very long again) road trip to ESU. Turn around and prep for yet another road game to Shippensburg.

If you are rolling with private planes, etc., .... maybe. But, this is the bus leagues. It just wouldn't make any sense. On top of it, who is paying for this trip?

I don't see anybody else volunteering.
                        You're right. It's a 14 hour 38 minute drive from Indiana, PA to Valdosta, GA. And you have to stop to eat, etc. It's not doable. Too bad.

Comment

• Well, Tort is glowing about Sexton. So, I think they are pretty happy. Quite a story about how they got him.

Tort also said there may yet be a high school QB and RB announced.

He said they are not currently in the market for another transfer QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Maybe the hype-machine that runs the Twitter account. But, by and large, the fan base isn't real excited as of late. Are some living in the past? Perhaps.

I think last year was a total freaking disaster. I've never seen a team that can't play at home. It's like Tort gives them Nyquil before the games. And, of course, the maddening thing is I saw the spirit and emotion that same team had when it clobbered Slippery Rock on the road.

In my opinion, IUP will always get hype, but if you put 4 big games a year in front of me and have me bet before the season starts ... I'm taking 2-2 every time.

Times are different. Most on this forum (I think) are of the age they remember the glory years when IUP curb-stomped the league most years. As said above, that happened for a variety of reasons: Drastically more money. A goal, most importantly supported by top brass, to become a national program. IUP was the first team in the conference to actively buy lots of high-profile transfers (baggage and all in that era). And, to drive the most important point home, drastically more money. While Tort has his moments -- good and bad -- he's no Frank. Maybe someday, but not yet.

Sure, they are a 'top tier' program in the PSAC, but clearly not the one on top. There is parity at the top now. Will IUP win a conference title again in the next 5 years? Probably. Will they win two? I doubt it. Will they lose at Adamson next year in the final 30 seconds on some fluke play? Probably.

I can't pinpoint it. Something .... has just been slightly off the past couple seasons. We see the good. We see the bad. We see the hyped up version one week. We see the zombies the next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP PSAC Fan View Post

Mask do not work you Clown.
                              Yes they do loser.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP PSAC Fan View Post

THE BLUE MASK DO NOT WORK TO FIGHT COVID!!! ITS THAT SIMPLE! QUESTION, IF THEY WORK WHY IS COIVD STILL HERE? ANOTHER CLOWN!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X