Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The roster is updated and "Spring" has been removed.

The team looks solid across the board. I think the OL may be the strongest link (and that's a good thing). They basically replace Dauberman with Comedy (not sure of everybody's exact positions) while the rest of the group is 1 year more experienced and I think they have a little more depth.

The DL is real strong in terms of the starters. However, if it is like in past years they will rotate a number of players there, so I think some of the incoming freshmen will see a lot of playing time. A couple of them arrive highly-touted. It will be interesting to see who earns the punting duties.
    I saw they moved Shugarts to DL. The other question is depth at linebacker, and the lack of a dominating player at LB like Lloyd or Clarke before him. Maybe someone will surprise there.

I'm also surprised by the low number of Transfers. Probably a good thing. This is Tort's 5th season, so its all his recruits.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I saw they moved Shugarts to DL. The other question is depth at linebacker, and the lack of a dominating player at LB like Lloyd or Clarke before him. Maybe someone will surprise there.

I'm also surprised by the low number of Transfers. Probably a good thing. This is Tort's 5th season, so its all his recruits.

The low number of transfers means their retention rate of recruited players is pretty high. Not only are the high school players they've brought in staying around, but they also feel they are good enough to actually keep them around. Tort's last couple high school classes have been very strong. We'll start to see that this year. The perfect example is last year's (essentially) all-freshmen defensive backfield. It was really neat to watch them as the season went along. That is going to be a very strong group this year and perhaps a dominant group the following two years.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The low number of transfers means their retention rate of recruited players is pretty high. Not only are the high school players they've brought in staying around, but they also feel they are good enough to actually keep them around. Tort's last couple high school classes have been very strong. We'll start to see that this year. The perfect example is last year's (essentially) all-freshmen defensive backfield. It was really neat to watch them as the season went along. That is going to be a very strong group this year and perhaps a dominant group the following two years.

Comment

• CULater this season. Your team will be steamrolled as will the rest of the west. Clarion is almost as bad as Slimey pebble

Comment

• Originally posted by CUlater View Post
            Sometimes I give you Indiana guys too much credit. Just when I thought this group was above taking the bait you come back in a big way. Always amusing seeing how delicate you all are, thanks for the laugh but I promise that's my last one. I only give myself one a year at this point to get things heated up once we are a couple weeks out. In all seriousness I would be a little concerned with the drop off. QB1 is a stud, he visited Clarion before IUP and I knew it was a long shot but really hoped we'd find a way to land him. Really love what he brings to the table but you can watch practice for all of about 5 minutes and see the drop off is significant if you can't keep him upright. Either way, a lot of talent on the field for sure, should be primed for another underachieving year...lol ok I'm done.

Expectations are historically low in Clarion...or maybe that's just what we want you all to believe! I'm a big CU supporter for sure but I love PSAC football and have ties to a few teams in the west and one in the east so I keep an eye on everything. Regardless of how Clarion performs I'm pumped to have PSAC football back in just a couple short weeks. At least for those of us who schedule an 11th game.

to the guy that said they didn't even practice Saturday...9-11 bro at the dumpster fire you call Miller Stadium. better take another look at your camp schedule sunshine. I know that IUP education is sus but come on man

Comment

• He visited a team with no coach and on a 16-game losing skid.

I'm not buying it. Lol

Comment

• Maybe he saw the sign for it off 422 if his driver took him to Pittsburgh via Kittanning?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

He visited a team with no coach and on a 16-game losing skid.

I'm not buying it. Lol
                  I thought that when I read it earlier. Clown show on here right now!

Comment

• https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...s-source=login

Comment

• Comment

• And here they come... the IUP fan boy club!

Comment

• I don't remember ever trying to position Clarion in any way shape or form. To be clear, this was a personal attack on your ego and intelligence lol. However, if you'd like to shift the conversation to winning, this is me respectfully sitting down and shutting up. I know my place in that conversation, facts are facts. Just like the facts that support you aren't a regional power yet somehow try to position yourself that way? Y'all would make great politicians. You talk so much stuff that you and the rest of the cult actually start to believe it. Any way, sorry to break up the party, proceed.

Comment

• Originally posted by CUlater View Post

I don't remember ever trying to position Clarion in any way shape or form. To be clear, this was a personal attack on your ego and intelligence lol. However, if you'd like to shift the conversation to winning, this is me respectfully sitting down and shutting up. I know my place in that conversation, facts are facts. Just like the facts that support you aren't a regional power yet somehow try to position yourself that way? Y'all would make great politicians. You talk so much stuff that you and the rest of the cult actually start to believe it. Any way, sorry to break up the party, proceed.

What is the definition of a 'regional power' ?

My guess would be if you'd ask people who actually follow D2 football to name the Top 5 programs in SR1 ... IUP would be included. I'm not a 'fan boy' and realize they've underachieved at times in the past decade. IUP has been winning big for a very long time -- back to the days when Cal was a yearly whipping boy on the schedule, etc. But, for purposes of this conversation, I'll just use the past decade as a reference.

IUP has gone 91-26 in the past 10 seasons. And, yes, that record should be better. For example, they threw away two games last season they had no business losing (Edinboro and Cal). They had a stretch years ago of back-to-back losses to SRU by a combined 6 points. They lost to Shepherd in the playoffs a couple years ago after giving up a 50-some yard pass with 20 seconds remaining on a totally blown coverage. There is the dysfunctional history of oddness in last-second losses at Adamson that has plagued the program the past 15 years. Also included in this stretch was the abysmal 6-5 record in 2014. Of course, losses are losses, and they don't get an asterisk for close ones.

Tort's had four seasons now. Two have been very good (2017 and 2019). Two have made many want to pull their hair out (2018 and 2021). The 2018 (8-3) and 2021 (7-3) teams were both very talented but had some mental lapses at very inopportune times (mostly all inside Miller Stadium).

Keep in mind, IUP has had some very good teams in the same years Cal and SRU have had very good teams. There's no dodging one another. Somebody is taking a loss. IUP also gets the luxury of 'randomly' playing Cal and SRU back-to-back. Every. Single. Year.

'Regional Power' is kind of a made-up phrase. Are they routinely in the Top 5 of SR1? I'd say yes (and realize like all teams they have an off year here and there). For us long-time D2 fans, we've seen many teams rise up for a bit and then fall back down. IUP has been winning pretty consistently since the early 90s. We'll never see the dominance from that time again, but they are on a heck of a 30-some year run of success.

I like many, many aspects of this 2022 edition. But, there are a couple question marks. These first two games are much scarier than I think many in the IUP universe realize. If they can get off to a 2-0 start (with quality road wins at ESU and Ship), they'll likely be in good shape. That should allow them to split the Cal/SRU back-to-back and be firmly in playoff contention. But, these first two are far from easy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I guess Kelly would be the most experienced LB returning; however, they do have 10 LB's on the roster. 4 of them are freshmen.

It will be interesting to see how the defense looks. I remember an interview Tort did with Jack when he said they might alternate between the 4-2-5 alignment they have used for several years and a more pass-oriented alignment emphasizing the secondary more. The defense could be more creative than in the past and utilize more players.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                                I guess Kelly would be the most experienced LB returning; however, they do have 10 LB's on the roster. 4 of them are freshmen.

It will be interesting to see how the defense looks. I remember an interview Tort did with Jack when he said they might alternate between the 4-2-5 alignment they have used for several years and a more pass-oriented alignment emphasizing the secondary more. The defense could be more creative than in the past and utilize more players.

heard tort on the radio today say 2 young guys, I think Sims and Strickland were doing well in practice

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X