Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

How bout making some major moves like getting a real football stadium not one with a junior high press box, do something major and then talk to me…just sayin
    You paying for it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

How bout making some major moves like getting a real football stadium not one with a junior high press box, do something major and then talk to me…just sayin
      That stadium is probably about No. 790 on the to-do list right now in Sutton Hall. Unfortunately.

Oddly, IUP Football has been hugely successful with just awful facilities. Thank the donors.

Comment

• The season preview is in today's Indiana Gazette. Good stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Freshmen (some true) at K, P and long-snapper.

Good Lord.

Injuries (many) already.
          We're just coming off an opener at Ship where our QBs threw three INTs and were sacked a bunch of times. All that and we seemingly have no running game. I think you guys will be OK.

Comment

• Volleyball 2-0 today with two shutouts of D&E and U-Indy.

Care or not ... they are rolling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

From what I have seen and know: This team is potentially better than some of the good teams we've had in recent years.

Here's why:
              1. Veteran OL (4 starters back and the one new addition (Comedy) I have been told is already very special.
              2. Good pass rush (Fowler, Feazell, Mayr) and good CBs (esp. Taylor). Good teams have both, mediocre teams have one.
              3. Excellent skill. Brown has had his best camp yet. Lockhart looks the part. Carter can help many ways. Stewart and Houser are a solid 1-2 punch.
              4. Tight ends. The new OC wants to use these guys like WRs and create matchup problems. Grant Smith is proven, but Cole Laney could be a major weapon. Huge target, has speed.

Concerns
              1. The kicking game. Sounds bad to be starting over, but the 3 punts blocked last year weren't the fault of the snapper or the punter.
              2. DL depth. If Mitchell gets hurt, they could be hurting up the middle.
              3. The QB. If Sexton is what they think he is––and he has had a very good camp––then they can be very potent on offense. If he gets hurt or is ineffective, they won't be.
              Sexton is a definite talent with some Brett Favre in him. He'll hurt you a few times forcing things and staring down wrs, but the good usually outweighs the bad.

Good pocket awareness, absolute cannon for an arm, decent touch when he needs it,, and can make most throws.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Sexton is a definite talent with some Brett Favre in him. He'll hurt you a few times forcing things and staring down wrs, but the good usually outweighs the bad.

Good pocket awareness, absolute cannon for an arm, decent touch when he needs it,, and can make most throws.
                Thanks. Your description of his skills is spot-on. We don’t see many D2 QBs who can throw to the field with accuracy and zip like he does.

I probably mis-labeled it in my assessment above. Sexton isn’t a concern. My concern is if he gets hurt or is for some reason not effective. But from what I have seen so far, he’s the real deal.
                http://www.indianagazette.com
                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Thanks. Your description of his skills is spot-on. We don’t see many D2 QBs who can throw to the field with accuracy and zip like he does.

I probably mis-labeled it in my assessment above. Sexton isn’t a concern. My concern is if he gets hurt or is for some reason not effective. But from what I have seen so far, he’s the real deal.
                  You'd also like to think this final two years will be better than his first two years ... that's usually the case with all players and especially QBs. More experience, better decison-making, etc.

Comment

You'd also like to think this final two years will be better than his first two years ... that's usually the case with all players and especially QBs. More experience, better decison-making, etc.
                    This will be his 5th year.
                    1-RS year was recruited when Pitt ran a run heavy pistol spread hybrid.
                    2-Didn't start, but played a lot. Pitt ran the option with one QB, and full shotgun spread with Sexton, switching back and forth all year. Sexton was at QB around 30 or 40 percent of the time. Basically the team would run option poorly, put him in on 3rd down to get the first, give him a full series here and there, and bring him in for 2 minute drill, or to catch back up when they got behind. It was a ridiculous and laughable system at best.
                    3-covid year, started all 4 games. New coaching staff Pistol, read option.
                    4-Started all but one game. Same offense as year 3. Had some magical moments, but made a lot of iffy decisions and got picked quite a bit.

Comment

That stadium is probably about No. 790 on the to-do list right now in Sutton Hall. Unfortunately.

Oddly, IUP Football has been hugely successful with just awful facilities. Thank the donors.
                      The Buffalo Bills are Super Bowl favorites playing in an outdated 50 year old stadium in a suburb.

Has the Jerrydome helped the Turds at all?

Comment

4-Started all but one game. Same offense as year 3. Had some magical moments, but made a lot of iffy decisions and got picked quite a bit.
                        Last year he threw 7 picks. They came in 4 games. He had 6 games with 0 INTs. I’d be curious to know how many of those 7 were his fault and how many were tipped balls or cases where the receiver ran the wrong route, etc. I genuinely don’t know.
                        http://www.indianagazette.com
                        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• I'm not understanding why people are bad mouthing the QB when he hasn't even played a nap yet in an IUP uniform. This isn't a situation like in the Tepper era when they brought in the Community College California kid. Settle down boys.

Comment

Last year he threw 7 picks. They came in 4 games. He had 6 games with 0 INTs. I’d be curious to know how many of those 7 were his fault and how many were tipped balls or cases where the receiver ran the wrong route, etc. I genuinely don’t know.
                            I don't remember, but the ones that stand out to me are those where he threw into double and triple coverages where they were basically intercepted before he even threw them.

Again, the good outweighs the bad with him. In the right system, and with another year or so under his belt he could be really great.

Comment

I don't remember, but the ones that stand out to me are those where he threw into double and triple coverages where they were basically intercepted before he even threw them.

Again, the good outweighs the bad with him. In the right system, and with another year or so under his belt he could be really great.
                              Regardless, he has the best mullet of any QB in IUP history.

Comment

• Curt Cignetti posted on Twitter that his Dad, Frank, has passed away.

Very sad to hear. R.I.P. Coach.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X