Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

…and all that funny money The Godfather slushed into the program. And they never made the finals.
    So true, so true but the memories are still sweet... especially when the other team is wearing crimson and grey !

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I thought the possession they really looked out of whack was SRU's second score. They were late getting players on and off and I believe had the wrong personel on the field for the scoring play.

SRU's first dropped pick ... dude would have walked in to the endzone. Major bullet avoided there.

Changing gears, the decision to not kick the chip shot FG and go up 10-0 was very interesting. Add to it running it up the gut twice in a row was also interesting.
      Solid analysis.
      Some notes and observations from yesterday at IUP. First off if Torts and Lutz had an iron clad 36 scholarships they would be national top 10 yearly with the potential of a natty, there is no doubt in my mind after seeing there talent level and coaching. Now the actual game both teams solid and top region squads that can make noise if healthy. IUP on offense can play the run game and strike fear into a defense with the WR talent especially Brown. If Lockhart doesn’t get hurt I truly believe they would of been hard to beat in the region as the field with him and Brown was down right scary. The defense is playing much better . Stopped run in second half and if not for a brutal PI on fourth and 8 I think they pitch a shut out. 2 Defensive tackles are players. Will need to replace Fowler but do have options at DE. Regarding Sexton, seeing him live if u don’t come away impressed and u are nutz. He made some unreal throws on third down and had 2 drops or his numbers would be even better. Yes I get the INT and defensive drops but u need to realize he has only played.4 games in new system and will only get better. Risk management is only concern talent sure isn’t. Finally something needs to be done in this league regarding replay. The game yesterday had 2 SRU fumbles denied by Awful calls both were game Enders if called correctly. There saying the fumble on the TE late is one of the worst calls ever in Miller stadium. Watch the tape it don’t lie …..Then to make matters worse the punt return play after that was clearly out before play was over as officials ruled runner out of bounds No Way Jose…it is literally almost impossible to fumble in this league….

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post
        Solid analysis.
        Some notes and observations from yesterday at IUP. First off if Torts and Lutz had an iron clad 36 scholarships they would be national top 10 yearly with the potential of a natty, there is no doubt in my mind after seeing there talent level and coaching. Now the actual game both teams solid and top region squads that can make noise if healthy. IUP on offense can play the run game and strike fear into a defense with the WR talent especially Brown. If Lockhart doesn’t get hurt I truly believe they would of been hard to beat in the region as the field with him and Brown was down right scary. The defense is playing much better . Stopped run in second half and if not for a brutal PI on fourth and 8 I think they pitch a shut out. 2 Defensive tackles are players. Will need to replace Fowler but do have options at DE. Regarding Sexton, seeing him live if u don’t come away impressed and u are nutz. He made some unreal throws on third down and had 2 drops or his numbers would be even better. Yes I get the INT and defensive drops but u need to realize he has only played.4 games in new system and will only get better. Risk management is only concern talent sure isn’t. Finally something needs to be done in this league regarding replay. The game yesterday had 2 SRU fumbles denied by Awful calls both were game Enders if called correctly. There saying the fumble on the TE late is one of the worst calls ever in Miller stadium. Watch the tape it don’t lie …..Then to make matters worse the punt return play after that was clearly out before play was over as officials ruled runner out of bounds No Way Jose…it is literally almost impossible to fumble in this league….
        The TE "none fumble" was a total joke. My goodness.

The punt return fumble ... that dude got lit up. No chance that wasn't a fumble.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
          It's now been 3 of the four games that Sexton has thrown the ball to the other team and they haven't held on.

Lenny Williams threw passes to the other team that they didn't hold on to.

Quinton Maxwell threw passes to the other team that they didn't hold on to.

Harry Woodbery threw passes to the other team that they didn't hold on to.

Hell, Rich Ingold, Tony Aliucci, Scott Woods, and Brian Eyerman threw passes to the other team that they didn't hold on to.

Every QB in America makes a bad decision and tries to force something he shouldn’t. Too tentative and you’re Mitch Trubisky.

Not picking on Tyson Bagent, but last year against IUP he tried to force one into the end zone and it got picked off. I don’t imagine Ernie McCook berated him on the sideline for it.

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
          Also, a QB throwing past the line isn't luck, that's a mental error vs physical error.

It was good luck for IUP. Just like the SRU LBs dropping those passes. One side’s error is the other side’s luck.

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
          If it wasn't for the luck of the drop INTs and Duane Brown constantly bailing Sexton out on all those contested catches this team could be 2-2 or even 1-3.

Brown made some amazing catches against SRU, but I can’t think of an IUP quarterback in the past 25 years who can make the throws Sexton has, putting Brown in position to make those catches. He didn’t just heave them up. It would have taken more than some interceptions by Sexton for them to lose to Shippensburg or Mercyhurst. And remember SRU made enough mistakes on its own that if the LBs had held on to those passes, you can’t say IUP would have lost.

I know statistics aren’t the be-all, end-all for an argument, but the fact Sexton leads the PSAC (and is fourth in the nation) in passing efficiency tells me he’s doing just fine.
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
            I never liked Woodberry much like you don’t like Sexton. I get it, but I think the numbers speak for themselves.
            What's not to like about Harry?

128-219-4-1,904 with 25 TDs in only 8 games (7th in the nation in passing efficiency), like you said, speaks for itself.

I can't think of any reason to blame him for any of IUP's three losses last season.

If you want to complain about anything, it's that he got COVID and missed the first two games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

128-219-4-1,904 with 25 TDs in only 8 games (7th in the nation in passing efficiency), like you said, speaks for itself.

I can't think of any reason to blame him for any of IUP's three losses last season.

If you want to complain about anything, it's that he got COVID and missed the first two games.

I'd agree Harry Football had a good season. He won big up at SRU and certainly played well enough to win the Cal game (we all know that story). Heck, he was a dropped pass from possibly blowing them out. The Edinboro debacle gets pinned on all of them.

It's not easy for those guys to come in and start their careers here in Fall camp. Maxwell and Harry both weren't here for the Spring. That's one massive advantage Sexton had on them.

I would say, by and large, Harry was the least of the 2021 teams problem.

Comment

I'd agree Harry Football had a good season. He won big up at SRU and certainly played well enough to win the Cal game (we all know that story). Heck, he was a dropped pass from possibly blowing them out. The Edinboro debacle gets pinned on all of them.

It's not easy for those guys to come in and start their careers here in Fall camp. Maxwell and Harry both weren't here for the Spring. That's one massive advantage Sexton had on them.

I would say, by and large, Harry was the least of the 2021 teams problem.
                Yep. Harry Foosball wasn’t out there defending those three punts that got blocked and sunk their season.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Yep. Harry Foosball wasn’t out there defending those three punts that got blocked and sunk their season.
                  I mentioned it the other day but when IUP had to punt with 1:32 left in the fourth quarter (after throwing incomplete and giving SRU basically a free timeout) ... in a freaking windy monsoon with a freshman punter and a freshman long-snapper ...

You talk about a tense moment. If that snap goes high or they block it ... SRU was in prime real estate. That clean punt won't show up in any game stories or anything ... but that was one of the defining moments of this season -- especially after the shock trauma of a year ago with that unit.

So much could have gone wrong at that moment. You couldn't really tell on the screen but it was the oddest weather the whole second half. The wind was changing directions about every 30 seconds and it was pouring when they snapped that punt. Big congrats to those boys.

I may have lined up Sexton in the gun and then had him drop back a few yards and pooch punt it just to make sure they got it off.

Comment

Harry was awesome! That's a different season if Harry doesn't get Covid.

Comment

• IUP has lost (7) straight games in Adamson Stadium -- in about every way imaginable (and a couple unimaginable). The good news is streaks do end. Eventually. Ironically, IUP had a massive winning streak there for a very, very long period.

Looking back:
                      2018 36-24 The Pick Six heard 'round the (PSAC) world
                      2016 44-23 NCAA Playoffs. IUP went up 17-0 with a converted Safety playing QB.
                      2016 31-28 Regular season with fireworks at the end
                      2014 21-13
                      2012 26-24
                      2010 18-15 Overtime
                      2008 21-19

Comment

IUP has lost (7) straight games in Adamson Stadium -- in about every way imaginable (and a couple unimaginable). The good news is streaks do end. Eventually. Ironically, IUP had a massive winning streak there for a very, very long period.

Looking back:
                        2018 36-24 The Pick Six heard 'round the (PSAC) world
                        2016 44-23 NCAA Playoffs. IUP went up 17-0 with a converted Safety playing QB.
                        2016 31-28 Regular season with fireworks at the end
                        2014 21-13
                        2012 26-24
                        2010 18-15 Overtime
                        2008 21-19
                        That 2012 game was a killer. Physically pummeled Cal all afternoon. Tuck ran over the Cal defense like an out-of-control coal truck on Route 56. But IUP gave up 10 points in the final 60 seconds and lost. 80-yard bomb (CB fell down), personal foul on a future Cal DE (wink, wink) and then an easy onside kick, short pass and FG to win it.

Or for IUP, to lose it.

And don't forget, in the 2010 game, IUP took a 15-0 lead into the fourth quarter and lost 18-15. Piece of trivia: that's IUP's only loss ever in overtime.

Comment

That 2012 game was a killer. Physically pummeled Cal all afternoon. Tuck ran over the Cal defense like an out-of-control coal truck on Route 56. But IUP gave up 10 points in the final 60 seconds and lost. 80-yard bomb (CB fell down), personal foul on a future Cal DE (wink, wink) and then an easy onside kick, short pass and FG to win it.

Or for IUP, to lose it.

And don't forget, in the 2010 game, IUP took a 15-0 lead into the fourth quarter and lost 18-15. Piece of trivia: that's IUP's only loss ever in overtime.

It's almost hard to argue they don't have some Brady Bunch in Hawaii curse down there. So many improbable endings.

Maybe they should burn Angelo's track suit Friday night or something.

I remember the Pick Six like it was yesterday. Incredible play on their end ... don't get me wrong. I'm just ready to be on the good end of one of these whacky endings.

Comment

It's almost hard to argue they don't have some Brady Bunch in Hawaii curse down there. So many improbable endings.

I remember the Pick Six like it was yesterday. Incredible play on their end ... don't get me wrong. I'm just ready to be on the good end of one of these whacky endings.
                            For those of us who remember when Cal was a guaranteed easy win, isn't it weird to think that IUP is 5-11 vs. the Vulcans since Frank Cignetti retired?

Comment

I can't remember the year, and am too lazy to look it up, but there was a year when IUP won on a 99 yd drive, against Lucky. Cal had the ball on the 1 trying to go up 2 scores. Lucky decided to not kick the field goal, and IUP stopped them, took the ball and drove 99 yds in less than 2 minutes to win the game.

Comment

For those of us who remember when Cal was a guaranteed easy win, isn't it weird to think that IUP is 5-11 vs. the Vulcans since Frank Cignetti retired?
                                I go back far enough to remember when you scheduled Shepherd if you wanted an easy win. That certainly turned around.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X