Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our panel of Pick 'Em experts -- thus far -- likes IUP this Saturday. The Crimson Hawks have received 16 of 25 votes.

Thinking about this game all week, ... some comments/questions:

* Tort downplayed the back-to-back, hard-core, on his show Monday night. But, what's he really going to say. This is a very tall task. And, depending who you ask, many think Cal is actually better than SRU. Just about every coach around will tell you it's very hard to get a team up two weeks in a row. That's the biggest challenge facing Tort this week.

* SRU entered last weeks game with a lot of hype, but was largely untested. Their best opponent pre-IUP was a wobbly-at-best West Chester. Conversely, Cal is battle-tested, and, quite frankly, most in the Mon Valley would probably say should be 5-0. SRU is a very good team and will likely come out of last week much better moving forward.

* IUP QB Sexton wasn't touched in the SRU game. He's likely going to get touched this week. Cal loves to bring heat from all over -- over and over. What could work to IUP's advantage is Sexton has an incredibly quick release. All that heat incoming leaves holes elsewhere -- in particular in the short routes. Cole Laney could play a big role in this game.

* While IUP got the famous punt off last week ... it barely got it off. Cal certainly took notice. The Vulcans defense is no joke so expect IUP to punt some this week.

* Heavy heat on Noah Mitchell. They love deep balls but they take longer to set up. Vulcans fans say he tends to vanish in big games. Well, he's usually showed up against IUP.

* What do the Cal imports and Larry Wilson bring to the table this week in regard to inside information?

* This will be the biggest crowd of the year at Adamson. Can IUP get off to a fast start and keep them quiet?

* Can IUP finally win in Adamson ... 2006 to 2022 is a real long time. I'm sure the players are tired of hearing about it.

* I suspect IUP will have an engaged crowd. IUP visiting crowds are typically pretty good. Those who travel have a vested interest. Cram them all together and they typically feed off each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Our panel of Pick 'Em experts -- thus far -- likes IUP this Saturday. The Crimson Hawks have received 16 of 25 votes.

* Tort downplayed the back-to-back, hard-core, on his show Monday night. But, what's he really going to say. This is a very tall task. And, depending who you ask, many think Cal is actually better than SRU. Just about every coach around will tell you it's very hard to get a team up two weeks in a row. That's the biggest challenge facing Tort this week.

* SRU entered last weeks game with a lot of hype, but was largely untested. Their best opponent pre-IUP was a wobbly-at-best West Chester. Conversely, Cal is battle-tested, and, quite frankly, most in the Mon Valley would probably say should be 5-0. SRU is a very good team and will likely come out of last week much better moving forward.

* IUP QB Sexton wasn't touched in the SRU game. He's likely going to get touched this week. Cal loves to bring heat from all over -- over and over. What could work to IUP's advantage is Sexton has an incredibly quick release. All that heat incoming leaves holes elsewhere -- in particular in the short routes. Cole Laney could play a big role in this game.

* While IUP got the famous punt off last week ... it barely got it off. Cal certainly took notice. The Vulcans defense is no joke so expect IUP to punt some this week.

* Heavy heat on Noah Mitchell. They love deep balls but they take longer to set up. Vulcans fans say he tends to vanish in big games. Well, he's usually showed up against IUP.

* What do the Cal imports and Larry Wilson bring to the table this week in regard to inside information?

* This will be the biggest crowd of the year at Adamson. Can IUP get off to a fast start and keep them quiet?

* Can IUP finally win in Adamson ... 2006 to 2022 is a real long time. I'm sure the players are tired of hearing about it.

* I suspect IUP will have an engaged crowd. IUP visiting crowds are typically pretty good. Those who travel have a vested interest. Cram them all together and they typically feed off each other.
      Great analysis on this upcoming weekend. Do you have a weather report?

Comment

Our panel of Pick 'Em experts -- thus far -- likes IUP this Saturday. The Crimson Hawks have received 16 of 25 votes.

Thankfully, the Current OC has a pretty good set of draw/screen plays. the last one seemed to lack those. Stewart will get some pretty good runs, if Mak can read the D.

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        - Cal Blocked one at Clarion last week, sending a message ?

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        - this is a big Cal advantage, with Fowler out, it will be hard to get heat, and IUP hasn't defended the long pass well in the secondary.

I picked IUP as a fan, but I don't know if there was actual money riding on it if I would.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
          Wasn’t it ultimately the frat house a$$ kicking that was the beginning of the end of so many “second chance” kids transferring in and other questionable characters on the roster?

There were a few guys brought in during the following years who had some baggage, but yes, that brawl was sort of an era at IUP. The odd thing is that 11 players were charged in that fight, but not a single one was a transfer.

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
          Matt can set us straight as he often does when we’re a little loose with the facts, LOL.

A crimson (and gray) badge of honor, if you will.

http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Thankfully, the Current OC has a pretty good set of draw/screen plays. the last one seemed to lack those. Stewart will get some pretty good runs, if Mak can read the D.

- this is a big Cal advantage, with Fowler out, it will be hard to get heat, and IUP hasn't defended the long pass well in the secondary.

I picked IUP as a fan, but I don't know if there was actual money riding on it if I would.

When you weigh all the factors, I'd guess in Las Vegas that IUP would be considered a road underdog tomorrow. Not by much, but probably 3.5 points.

Comment

It should be a good test and certainly is the game of the week in the PSAC. As far as playing two tough games in a row, it's true enough that it's a hard thing to do, but any team that has title and playoff aspirations had better be able to win two games in a row against quality opposition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It should be a good test and certainly is the game of the week in the PSAC. As far as playing two tough games in a row, it's true enough that it's a hard thing to do, but any team that has title and playoff aspirations had better be able to win two games in a row against quality opposition.

This will be the 8th year in a row for IUP playing them back-to-back (and it continues beyond this year).

In the first 7 years of this run, IUP has only got one sweep (2017). They've been swept twice (2014 and 2018) and split the other four years.

Granted, they have taken some incredibly painful, extremely close loses during this run.

To be honest, I never really worry too much about the 'back to back'. Sure, it's extremely difficult. But, these are the two games they really get up for each year. I actually worry more about the 'hangover' the following week. They've come out of the back-to-back with some real duds in past years -- struggling with Clarion, and, of course, last year's Edinboro disaster.

I think they'll be amped up and ready to roll in the Viet Mon Valley tomorrow. Tort just better buy an 18-wheeler full of Red Bull for the following week. Then again, I think they are looking forward to seeing their old friends from Edinboro.

Tomorrow will be violent. These two beat the tar out of each other every year. Here's to hoping both teams come out healthy.

Comment

• IUP enrollment -8832.

Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

My sentiments exactly.

I'm wondering who steps up tomorrow in place of Fowler. Is it Weightman?

Will we see different defensive sets from IUP? That's something Tort talked about going into the season. Will the LB's play a greater role?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

My sentiments exactly.

Will we see different defensive sets from IUP? That's something Tort talked about going into the season. Will the LB's play a greater role?
                      I'd guess they shift Vaughn Wallace.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                        IUP enrollment -8832.

Wow.
                        Yeah, another 5% loss -on the plus side, Freshman class is 4% bigger.

Comment

• I didn’t know Penn West Mon Valley was the second coming of Alabamastan.

Comment

• Looks like 56 and mostly sunny in the Viet Mon Valley tomorrow.

Hopefully that entices many to make the trip.

No word on the IUP Band making the trip yet. It is encouraging they are at least trying. The old regime would have laughed at traveling to a football game.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                              Feazell.
                              http://www.indianagazette.com
                              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Feazell.
                                Can Fowler qualify for a medical redshirt being he played 3.25 games?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X