Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Just read the recap on the IUP/CAL U game. I did not know today is Frank Cignetti Sr birthday..
    They got him a nice present.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

So, the question becomes why is he out this time?

I know he's perhaps special ... but he's out constantly.

Your best ability is your availability. He's not available much.
      I can't begin to argue with that. You have to be available.

Comment

Let's beat Edinboro first.
        Practicing punt protection must be a top priority this week…

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Well, I wasn't a math major, but I am sure that 4 games played out of 12 is 33%.
          4 out of 13 is .30769%, and the NCAA rounds that up to 31%.
          So to get under 30 percent, it would have to be 14 games (29%).

Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
          Matt ..... that isn't how you make the percent calculation.

You are correct about the Hardship Waiver in that the injury has to happen before the start of the second half of the season, has to be season ending as certified by the athletes attending physician, and the player cannot have played in more than 30% of the teams games .....

If a team plays 10 games than 30% x 10 = 3, so he cannot play in more than 3 games and be eligible for a medical hardship waiver ......

If a team plays 11 games than 30% x 11 = 3.3 ..... the caveat is that if there is any fraction in the percent calculation, you round up to the next highest number of games which in this case would be 4 .... so if the team plays 11 games, a player cannot play in more than 4 games and be eligible for the redshirt.......

If a player plays one play in a game it counts as one full game.

So Fowler has played in 4 games and if IUP plays 11 games, he should be eligible for a hardship waiver.

What I'm not sure of in D2 is whether playoff games count in the number of games played ...... I think they might (but again I'm not 100% sure about that) and if they count, they may only count as one game even if you play more than one playoff game.

If you want a mathematical formula here it is : a/b = 30% or a = 0.3 x b, where "a" = the number of games you can play and be eligible for the hardship waiver and "b" = the number of games played by the team..... and where if "a" has a fraction of a number in the calculation, you round to the next highest number of games.

Last edited by goalieman; 10-08-2022, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by goalieman View Post

Matt ..... that isn't how you make the percent calculation.

You are correct about the Hardship Waiver in that the injury has to happen before the start of the second half of the season, has to be season ending as certified by the athletes attending physician, and the player cannot have played in more than 30% of the teams games .....

If a team plays 10 games than 30% x 10 = 3, so he cannot play in more than 3 games and be eligible for a medical hardship waiver ......

If a team plays 11 games than 30% x 11 = 3.3 ..... the caveat is that if there is any fraction in the percent calculation, you round up to the next highest number of games which in this case would be 4 .... so if the team plays 11 games, a player cannot play in more than 4 games and be eligible for the redshirt.......

If a player plays one play in a game it counts as one full game.

So Fowler has played in 4 games and if IUP plays 11 games, he should be eligible for a hardship waiver.

What I'm not sure of in D2 is whether playoff games count in the number of games played ...... I think they might (but again I'm not 100% sure about that) and if they count, they may only count as one game even if you play more than one playoff game.

If you want a mathematical formula here it is : a/b = 30% or a = 0.3 x b, where "a" = the number of games you can play and be eligible for the hardship waiver and "b" = the number of games played ..... and where if "a" has a fraction of a number in the calculation, you round to the next highest number of games.

Maybe I'm simply being lazy and not reading everything that's been posted to this point about this. But I thought this rule was changed a couple years ago and is standard across the board? It's pretty well publicized (in Division 1 football) that you can play in 4 games and NOT lose a year of eligibility. Not percentage of plays or percentage of games. If you play one snap, it counts as a game played. So you can effectively play 4 total snaps, one in 4 separate games, or every snap in all four of those games, and not lose a year of eligibility. That's the rule in Division 1. If it's different in Division 2, then disregard.

Comment

Last edited by goalieman; 10-08-2022, 08:38 PM. Reason: error

Comment

• Well, let's hope Fowler gets the medical redshirt. Hate to see a player lose a full year after 3.25 games (4 games as pointed out).

He has legit star power.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Maybe I'm simply being lazy and not reading everything that's been posted to this point about this. But I thought this rule was changed a couple years ago and is standard across the board? It's pretty well publicized (in Division 1 football) that you can play in 4 games and NOT lose a year of eligibility. Not percentage of plays or percentage of games. If you play one snap, it counts as a game played. So you can effectively play 4 total snaps, one in 4 separate games, or every snap in all four of those games, and not lose a year of eligibility. That's the rule in Division 1. If it's different in Division 2, then disregard.
                  Both D1 and D2 used to have the rule that if you played in one play of one game, you could not redshirt ..... it is still the same in D2 but in D1 football only, you can play up to 4 games and still redshirt ...... the Hardship Waiver ("medical redshirt") remains the same in D1 and D2 as they previously were.
                  Last edited by goalieman; 10-08-2022, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by goalieman View Post
                    If you want a mathematical formula here it is : a/b = 30% or a = 0.3 x b, where "a" = the number of games you can play and be eligible for the hardship waiver and "b" = the number of games played by the team..... and where if "a" has a fraction of a number in the calculation, you round to the next highest number of games.
                    Aw, I was with you until you decided to introduce a formula. If you saw my high school report card you'd understand why algebra is my downfall.

You may be right. I don't know. I asked Tort after last week's game if Fowler can get a redshirt. He was unsure. But like you, I have also looked for the answer about whether playoff games count in this formula and I cannot find the answer.
                    http://www.indianagazette.com
                    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Aw, I was with you until you decided to introduce a formula. If you saw my high school report card you'd understand why algebra is my downfall.

You may be right. I don't know. I asked Tort after last week's game if Fowler can get a redshirt. He was unsure. But like you, I have also looked for the answer about whether playoff games count in this formula and I cannot find the answer.
                      Matt ..... the NCAA rules are often difficult to interpret, but I looked in the NCAA Manual for Division 2 ....... and the rule about 30% of the games states that "the student athlete cannot have participated in more than 3 contests or 30% of the maximal permissible number of contests or dates of competition set forth in Bylaw 17 in their sport, whichever is greater" ....... Also, "the denominator in the percent calculation shall be based on the maximum number of contests or dates of competition set forth in Bylaw 17 in the applicable sport ".....

In football, the maximum number of contests is 11, so if 11 is used as the denominator then 30% x 11 = 3.3 games which is rounded up to 4 games ...... there is also a graph in the manual that gives criteria for Medical Hardship Waivers in various sports and for football it says the standard denominator is 11 games and the 30% of Bylaw 17 Maximum is 4 games ...... so I'm not sure that IUP playing only 10 games matters ....... there is a statement as well that the maximum number of contests in football shall exclude season ending tournaments which involves competition after the end of the regular season between teams not identified until the close of the regular season (playoffs) ......

Confusing, but bottom line is that I think Fowler may still be eligible for a Medical Hardship Waiver .......

Last edited by goalieman; 10-08-2022, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrimsonHawkAlum View Post

the penalty on IUP #11 was BS after the play! That was not a penalty for the amount of things Cal U did and said today. #2 ran his mouth all game, the things that were coming out of his mouth towards the IUP sidelines I’m shocked he didn’t get a flag once. They can talk all they want- they have 3 losses and SUCK. Gary DONE SUCKS!

ROLL HAWKS
                        For what it’s worth, it was the same referee that threw the flag for pass interference late that kept the Cal drive alive.

Comment

I must have missed him.

In my view he’s the third back now in the rotation. It doesn’t matter how much talent you have if you can’t stay on the field. JD Younger has emerged as a very good back and a different style than Stewart. Go with the kids you can count on.

Comment

I must have missed him.

He’s a vagina!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

He’s a vagina!
                              Stupid thing to say. You can say he can't stay healthy, but don't for a minute say he's soft. I've seen him play with injury too often.

His football career didn't start when he entered Indiana County.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Stupid thing to say. You can say he can't stay healthy, but don't for a minute say he's soft. I've seen him play with injury too often.

His football career didn't start when he entered Indiana County.
                                He’s soft! Get over it and accept the dang truth! Your bromance doesn’t fit here.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X