Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP PSAC Fan View Post
    After the road win for the crimson hawks at Cal U Tort is now 44-9 overall and 22-2 of a record playing on the road. Very impressive.
    Still only 6-4 vs Mon Valley U and Slimey and 0-2 vs Shepherd.

So basically 6-6 vs the top teams that are in our way every year.

We can do better.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 10-10-2022, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

We can do better.
      Tort is a great coach. Being at .500 against your best competition isn't anything to throw shade at.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Tort is a great coach. Being at .500 against your best competition isn't anything to throw shade at.
        I definitely think he's a much better coach today than he was 5 years ago. Game preparation, game management, staff management, player management ... he is pretty sound in all those areas. Plus, he is a great recruiter. And a nice guy.

Comment

We can do better.
          Tort has 13 top 20 ranked wins. His 44-9 record is a 83.02% of a winning percentage from my research that is number 1 in the region through 53 games, I do not have time to look throughout the entire country but my guess he would be top 5 with that winning percentage.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I definitely think he's a much better coach today than he was 5 years ago. Game preparation, game management, staff management, player management ... he is pretty sound in all those areas. Plus, he is a great recruiter. And a nice guy.
            I agree. Given Curt's sudden departure, its obvious Tort wasn't fully ready to be a head coach. The job is very different and has a big learning curve. Something that really baffles me is how few head coaches help prep their assistants to be head coaches. But he's grown into it and seemingly making better decisions.

One thing that's very hard at the D2 level is coaching staff turnover. Most programs only have 2 or 3 full time assistants - everyone else is a part-timer, GA (also part-time), or volunteer. So you could have a workhorse that leaves for a better opportunity that is no fault of your own leaving a gap. Doesn't matter how good your team or program is - you're never going to retain guys making $23/hr for 20 hours a week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I agree. Given Curt's sudden departure, its obvious Tort wasn't fully ready to be a head coach. The job is very different and has a big learning curve. Something that really baffles me is how few head coaches help prep their assistants to be head coaches. But he's grown into it and seemingly making better decisions.

One thing that's very hard at the D2 level is coaching staff turnover. Most programs only have 2 or 3 full time assistants - everyone else is a part-timer, GA (also part-time), or volunteer. So you could have a workhorse that leaves for a better opportunity that is no fault of your own leaving a gap. Doesn't matter how good your team or program is - you're never going to retain guys making $23/hr for 20 hours a week.

It's a massive change. As a DC, ... you're pretty much a football coach. As the HC, you now get tasked with dealing with parents, off-the-field issues, grades, alumni, boosters, university brass, disgruntled players, etc.

I think he had to make the switch from "friend" to "boss" and that takes time. Under Curt, Tort was certainly the 'friendly' coach. Curt was all business 24/7 and probably not described as a 'players' coach'. But, yes, he's made leaps and bounds as a HC.

He's also tremendously more social and approachable with fans/boosters than the previous regime. This has quickly resulted in larger crowds, more donors, etc.

His recruiting has been pretty stellar. They've gone (pretty much) to the home-grown model. They are still adding some key transfers here and there but that roster is mostly all high school-recruited players. Knock on wood, but that's been a very clean program under his watch. The players are behaving off the field and their academics are pretty solid.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I normally expect the ugly hangover game after the vaunted back-to-back.

However, not this year. Call it a hunch, but the trip to Edinboro has been circled for a long time.

This will be a fired up group with some payback on the mind.
                Yes u are correct my friend this Boro game has been circled since last November. They apparently celebrated a bit too much at Miller stadium and heard there staff was bad mouthing IUP during WPIAL recruitment of a few players both were seeking.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP PSAC Fan View Post

Tort has 13 top 20 ranked wins. His 44-9 record is a 83.02% of a winning percentage from my research that is number 1 in the region through 53 games, I do not have time to look throughout the entire country but my guess he would be top 5 with that winning percentage.
                  Tort 22-2 on road I believe is the most impressive thing on his resume.

Comment

We can do better.
                    What exactly are u saying “We can do better”???? Replace a guy that is 6-4 against his rivals and 0-2 to maybe the greatest D2 QB this region ever seen. Please ecplain yourself more clearly to those on here that know the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Boy some of the stuff on this board is mind blowing. Wasn’t ready to be a HC???? U do know he was 13-1 his first year or maybe u don’t and your just plain stupid.

Comment

They got him a nice present.
                        Yes indeed what a coincidence. Some notes from the actual game from my seat on the 40 yard line. First off that call on Taylor early was Bogus u can call that all game long or u can be a real official and tell the HC #11 runs his mouth again it’s going to be 15. U do not just throw the flag when it’s after a third down stop and it comes ftom Cals sideline looks awful. In addition u are now setting up the rest of the crew to flag similar acts the next 50 minutes, absurd indeed. Another head scratcher and so predictable for this League the PI on Washington on 3rd and 18 last drive under 1 minute. Replay clearly shows left hand fine and right hand touching back of receiver which is Not a foul umles fefender grabs or wraps around waist. And of course flag thrown practically from Cal Coaches lap. So instead of fourth and 18, game back in Cal’s favor first down at IUP 41. Done with the officiating, thought IUP played ok not hood or great. Sexton I thought was really good threw for 303 and easily had 8 dtops. Also OL was tremendous just wish they would of ran more in first hslf when they had Cal on there heels early. Defensively thought it was there best effort/results of season. Holding #9 Jackson to 3/38 is quite impressive, next to Duane best receiver in region. Also Cal had 1 yard rushing at the half. Cal very good team who had Shepherd beat 3 times in there game and blew 10 point lead st Kutztown. If some how they stay focused i think they are better than SRU and should beat them at home. Congrats to IUP team who other than Taylor flag has been nonsense free and focused for the most part which is great!

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Yes indeed what a coincidence. Some notes from the actual game from my seat on the 40 yard line. First off that call on Taylor early was Bogus u can call that all game long or u can be a real official and tell the HC #11 runs his mouth again it’s going to be 15. U do not just throw the flag when it’s after a third down stop and it comes ftom Cals sideline looks awful. In addition u are now setting up the rest of the crew to flag similar acts the next 50 minutes, absurd indeed. Another head scratcher and so predictable for this League the PI on Washington on 3rd and 18 last drive under 1 minute. Replay clearly shows left hand fine and right hand touching back of receiver which is Not a foul umles fefender grabs or wraps around waist. And of course flag thrown practically from Cal Coaches lap. So instead of fourth and 18, game back in Cal’s favor first down at IUP 41. Done with the officiating, thought IUP played ok not hood or great. Sexton I thought was really good threw for 303 and easily had 8 dtops. Also OL was tremendous just wish they would of ran more in first hslf when they had Cal on there heels early. Defensively thought it was there best effort/results of season. Holding #9 Jackson to 3/38 is quite impressive, next to Duane best receiver in region. Also Cal had 1 yard rushing at the half. Cal very good team who had Shepherd beat 3 times in there game and blew 10 point lead st Kutztown. If some how they stay focused i think they are better than SRU and should beat them at home. Congrats to IUP team who other than Taylor flag has been nonsense free and focused for the most part which is great!

Three weeks ago if you would have told me that the defense would hold SRU and Cal to 12 and 21 points ... I'd have taken that all day long.

I'm going to throw the first game out because the defense had two of their studs (perhaps best players) not dressed (Moore and Bruce) -- and because it was their first game.

So, they've been pretty solid since -- and you can see they are getting better each game.

Naszhir Taylor (No. 11 as the board likes to call him) is a lot better than many on here realize. He's had some bad moments (all CBs do) but he's made a lot of big plays. He's also a big, physical corner at 6'2" and 200 lbs). He's played in a lot of big D2 games -- at IUP and during his time with the Vulcans. No doubt he's an emotional player. He never shuts up -- all 60 minutes. That is OK so long as he can control it. He got a bush league call Saturday (one of many in the game). I'm glad he's here. Put it that way. He's getting better with each game and you can see him getting more comfortable in the IUP scheme.

Look back a year ago. Last year's imports, Malachi Newell and Gregory Moore, looked like completely different players in the second half compared to the first half. Taylor has five games under his belt now. They did a pretty good job on Cal's WRs. Most of Mitchell's yards came via dink-and-dunk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Boy some of the stuff on this board is mind blowing. Wasn’t ready to be a HC???? U do know he was 13-1 his first year or maybe u don’t and your just plain stupid.
                            You should read more. Particularly that of A. Lincoln. "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." I can't believe IUP awarded you a degree. Or did they?

Comment

It's a massive change. As a DC, ... you're pretty much a football coach. As the HC, you now get tasked with dealing with parents, off-the-field issues, grades, alumni, boosters, university brass, disgruntled players, etc.

I think he had to make the switch from "friend" to "boss" and that takes time. Under Curt, Tort was certainly the 'friendly' coach. Curt was all business 24/7 and probably not described as a 'players' coach'. But, yes, he's made leaps and bounds as a HC.

He's also tremendously more social and approachable with fans/boosters than the previous regime. This has quickly resulted in larger crowds, more donors, etc.

His recruiting has been pretty stellar. They've gone (pretty much) to the home-grown model. They are still adding some key transfers here and there but that roster is mostly all high school-recruited players. Knock on wood, but that's been a very clean program under his watch. The players are behaving off the field and their academics are pretty solid.
                              Exactly what I was thinking. He's made tremendous strides in reversing those roles. I can think of a recent PSAC West head coach who wasn't able to do that and it cost him his job. I think Tort is the best coach in the conference. It was absolutely the right moment to hire him and he's flourished. A first time head coach is always a risk - this one paid off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

It’s not acceptable at IUP. We want and expect to be 12-0. These schools are in our way.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X