Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Theoretically didn't he get a second chance after the August drug DUI?
    Not that it matters, but I believe the DUI actually happened in March. It started to work its way through the courts in August.

Other than calling that Strike 1, that has been internally dealt with and is done.

Let's also not pretend he's the only player in the PSAC who got in trouble this past off-season.

A serious (felony) drug charge got a Cal player a one-game suspension.

Trust me, if somebody went digging, they'd find all sorts of stuff from last off-season.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post

I am not 100% sure on what you are talking about. Like the great Nick Saban says, should we throw them on the street? Or give them a second chance. You should give the young man a chance.
      IUPbigINDIANS was right - in March 2022 he was arrested for DUI with both a high blood alcohol content and some sort of controlled substance in his system. He wasn't charged until April but it looks like as of August there was some sort of plea agreement in the works, most likely ARD (first time offender). He's already been arraigned but his preliminary hearing is Nov 8. He'll most likely get things reduced - his attorney is former DA Patrick Dougherty, an IUP football season ticket holder.

Usually things "back home" don't follow you to school - but can be held against you if/when necessary.

This is the most shocking thing of it all - he's still listed as the #1 RB on the 2-deep for tomorrow's game. I'm surprised they're letting that fly unless its an error.

Comment

IUPbigINDIANS was right - in March 2022 he was arrested for DUI with both a high blood alcohol content and some sort of controlled substance in his system. He wasn't charged until April but it looks like as of August there was some sort of plea agreement in the works, most likely ARD (first time offender). He's already been arraigned but his preliminary hearing is Nov 8. He'll most likely get things reduced - his attorney is former DA Patrick Dougherty, an IUP football season ticket holder.

Usually things "back home" don't follow you to school - but can be held against you if/when necessary.

This is the most shocking thing of it all - he's still listed as the #1 RB on the 2-deep for tomorrow's game. I'm surprised they're letting that fly unless its an error.
        I said all week don't be shocked if he plays tomorrow.

This happened with a very high-profile athlete at IUP about 8 years ago. He played until the legal proceeding was handled -- which, was after the season ended.

Comment

• I'd guess in today's society, schools have to be a little careful about suspending a player for an "alleged" off-campus occurrence. Say he's found not guilty (very possible). He could then say his suspension jeopardized his draft stock, reputation, etc. Next thing you know the player is filing a lawsuit against the school this off-season. Innocent until proven guilty. Who is the university to say he's guilty prior to it being proven -- especially for an event that happened off-campus?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This happened with a very high-profile athlete at IUP about 8 years ago. He played until the legal proceeding was handled -- which, was after the season ended.
            I'm not advocating to throw the kid away, but kicking down doors and resisting arrest all published in print... not a good look if he plays. He should miss the next 2 and come back for the PSAC champ game at the least.

Comment

Honestly, its crazy that he isn't at least suspended for a single game. Its not felony tax evasion, its a felony charge in town and presumably directed at another IUP student. Plus resisting arrest. I can honestly say this wouldn't fly at the Cornell of Butler County. But I guess the thirst for a natty is too strong at IUP. Maybe Driscoll secretly wears an IUP track suit under his regular clothes at games?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I'm not advocating to throw the kid away, but kicking down doors and resisting arrest all published in print... not a good look if he plays. He should miss the next 2 and come back for the PSAC champ game at the least.
                He allegedly did these things. That's all.

He has a very powerful attorney. Very few (if any) of those charges will stick.

I'm not taking sides. I've just seen this play out in Indiana and IUP for a very long time.

Comment

I'd guess in today's society, schools have to be a little careful about suspending a player for an "alleged" off-campus occurrence. Say he's found not guilty (very possible). He could then say his suspension jeopardized his draft stock, reputation, etc. Next thing you know the player is filing a lawsuit against the school this off-season. Innocent until proven guilty. Who is the university to say he's guilty prior to it being proven -- especially for an event that happened off-campus?
                  I'm pretty good with college student due process. At a state university, he can't be put on interim suspension unless he's deemed a threat to the campus community. If the criminal complaint shows that this was a crime of circumstance related to the alleged victim, its hard to argue that he's a threat to anyone but that woman. But in most cases they wait until the preliminary hearing to see which charges stick. Stewart's due process rights don't extend to the football team. IUP could suspend him for the rest of the season and there's nothing he can do about it. His membership on the team, playing time, and football scholarship money is 100% controlled by Athletics & Tort (who could get direction from the VP of Student Affairs or Driscoll).

Comment

Honestly, its crazy that he isn't at least suspended for a single game. Its not felony tax evasion, its a felony charge in town and presumably directed at another IUP student. Plus resisting arrest. I can honestly say this wouldn't fly at the Cornell of Butler County. But I guess the thirst for a natty is too strong at IUP. Maybe Driscoll secretly wears an IUP track suit under his regular clothes at games?
                    Where did it say it was directed at another IUP student? Regardless, it happened off-campus. IUP has no jurisdiction off campus. That's the same as "back home".

At best IUP may win a Region or the PSAC. They have zero chance of winning a national title.

Comment

Are you referencing the two-deep published by Gannon? If so, that's meaningless.

Comment

I'm pretty good with college student due process. At a state university, he can't be put on interim suspension unless he's deemed a threat to the campus community. If the criminal complaint shows that this was a crime of circumstance related to the alleged victim, its hard to argue that he's a threat to anyone but that woman. But in most cases they wait until the preliminary hearing to see which charges stick. Stewart's due process rights don't extend to the football team. IUP could suspend him for the rest of the season and there's nothing he can do about it. His membership on the team, playing time, and football scholarship money is 100% controlled by Athletics & Tort (who could get direction from the VP of Student Affairs or Driscoll).
                        I find it interesting they gave him an unsecured bond with a violent felony 2 and resisting arrest. I wonder if the alleged victim will file a protective order. Does not look like no substance use charges were administered. Shep had their number one RB arrested in a prostitution sting a few years ago. They handled it internally and he was able to play the full season. The young man was open about and appeared to make some changes in a positive direction. He had no incidents for the remainder of his career at Shep. I hope Mr. Stewart can turn this around for his future.

Comment

I'm not taking sides. I've just seen this play out in Indiana and IUP for a very long time.
                          I wouldn't think resisting arrest from State police is Alleged? From what I understand is he is suspended this game and didn't practice all week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramhead View Post

I find it interesting they gave him an unsecured bond with a violent felony 2 and resisting arrest. I wonder if the alleged victim will file a protective order. Does not look like no substance use charges were administered. Shep had their number one RB arrested in a prostitution sting a few years ago. They handled it internally and he was able to play the full season. The young man was open about and appeared to make some changes in a positive direction. He had no incidents for the remainder of his career at Shep. I hope Mr. Stewart can turn this around for his future.
                            Pimpin ain't easy

Comment

I've covered courts in Florida and other places at times. If this kid is black, which I'm assuming, he's lucky that 1) he's playing football, and 2) he has what you describe as a "very powerful attorney." I've seen black kids get in huge trouble over incidents such as this, assuming he actually did what was described. If you're useful to people for some reason, they'll find a way to mitigate your problems in court.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldSchool IUP View Post

I wouldn't think resisting arrest from State police is Alleged? From what I understand is he is suspended this game and didn't practice all week.
                                Murder is alleged until you're convicted.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X