Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Looking at team stats ... 3 of the past 4 games IUP has rushed for 98 yards or less (past two games under 60 yards).

Kicking in doors obviously didn't help last week.

But, my question is why can't IUP run the ball when it has what is thought to be a very strong OL and a lethal aerial attack (which should soften the run defense).

Take away the Mercyhurst game (when they 100% sold out on the pass) and Edinboro (not good defense) and IUP's season rushing numbers pretty much stink.

So:

* Are the RBs overrated?
    * Is the 'run up the middle' for 2 yards all day the problem? Don't get me started on the jet sweeps that haven't worked all year.
    * Is the OL the issue?
    * Combination of the three?

They will luck out and (very oddly) have 70 degrees and sunny this weekend.

But, the inability to run seems to be a major concern heading in to November. This sun isn't going to last forever.

It's just very odd to me why a team with a rocket-arm QB and two elite WRs can't run the ball.

Gannon's RBs had swagger and confidence. I don't see that with IUP's RBs.
    That's a good question. There's something to be said for watching the game on the internet as opposed to live. Houser has to get some open space to make decent gains as opposed to Stewart who does have the ability to run over people. In the Gannon game, on a lot of plays it sure looked like Houser had a lot of green in front of him but he doesn't seem to get to the hole quick enough and Gannon's defense, DL and LB's, would catch up to him. Younger seems like a cross between Stewart and Houser. I'd put Younger even with Houser right now. That said, I think they will run all over Clarion this week.

Comment

• [QUOTE=iupgroundhog;n710811]

That's a good question. There's something to be said for watching the game on the internet as opposed to live. Houser has to get some open space to make decent gains as opposed to Stewart who does have the ability to run over people. In the Gannon game, on a lot of plays it sure looked like Houser had a lot of green in front of him but he doesn't seem to get to the hole quick enough and Gannon's defense, DL and LB's, would catch up to him. Younger seems like a cross between Stewart and Houser. I'd put Younger even with Houser right now.

That said, I think they will run all over Clarion this week.

Don't be so sure, Grover threw for over 400 yds. WR Sheets had over 200 yds receiving

Clarion dared ROCK to pass by loading box to shut down run. Brown might get 300 yds receiving

Comment

Looking at team stats ... 3 of the past 4 games IUP has rushed for 98 yards or less (past two games under 60 yards).

Kicking in doors obviously didn't help last week.

But, my question is why can't IUP run the ball when it has what is thought to be a very strong OL and a lethal aerial attack (which should soften the run defense).

Take away the Mercyhurst game (when they 100% sold out on the pass) and Edinboro (not good defense) and IUP's season rushing numbers pretty much stink.

So:

* Are the RBs overrated?
        * Is the 'run up the middle' for 2 yards all day the problem? Don't get me started on the jet sweeps that haven't worked all year.
        * Is the OL the issue?
        * Combination of the three?

They will luck out and (very oddly) have 70 degrees and sunny this weekend.

But, the inability to run seems to be a major concern heading in to November. This sun isn't going to last forever.

It's just very odd to me why a team with a rocket-arm QB and two elite WRs can't run the ball.

Gannon's RBs had swagger and confidence. I don't see that with IUP's RBs.

Agree w/ this. Sorry but they aren't that impressive. Deyjure is the real deal. Houser is ok but not great. Younger the same. Try the others. Q is certainly not the answer and he gets hurt everytime he's at RB because he's not one so then we lose him at slot and return-just dumb in my opinion. Anyone can run on Stinky teams. How about pass to our TE's once in a while. I was at the game also and a lot of viewers who I think know football pretty well all said we are so predictable.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Was there a scoreboard message involved??
          Probably not since Gannon plays on a practice field..

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Probably not since Gannon plays on a practice field..
            Glass houses...

Comment

• Originally posted by OldSchool IUP View Post

Agree w/ this. Sorry but they aren't that impressive. Deyjure is the real deal. Houser is ok but not great. Younger the same. Try the others. Q is certainly not the answer and he gets hurt everytime he's at RB because he's not one so then we lose him at slot and return-just dumb in my opinion. Anyone can run on Stinky teams. How about pass to our TE's once in a while. I was at the game also and a lot of viewers who I think know football pretty well all said we are so predictable.

Well, they did throw to Cole Laney three times Saturday -- and all three were dropped. The last one, he got blasted. But, the first two hit his hands and he dropped both. At one point I thought Grant Smith was going to be a big-time player in the passing game. That never happened. He's become essentially just a blocking TE.

They are predictable. It's driven other teams crazy that they pretty much know what's coming and still can't stop it. That's a luxury Mak Sexton, Duane Brown and Hilton Ridley have afforded IUP. Like I said earlier, IUP's defense got shredded Saturday but so did Gannon's.

I completely agree regarding the use of Qashah Carter. He should be drastically more involved in the offense -- i.e. Allen Wright role from a couple years ago. He has to get the ball in space to be effective. When his only involvement is a jet sweep and he gets crushed by some big DL (and then has to leave the game) ... I mean, how many weeks do we have to see the same thing with his use? He should be a dynamic tool to go along with Brown and Ridley. They both draw so much attention he should be the small burner that gets lost in the shuffle on the field. It just hasn't happened.

As discussed yesterday a bit, the running game is just non-existent. They tend to call a huge percentage directly up the middle. Jerome Bettis isn't carrying the ball. These are all 185-pound (if even) backs. If the goal is just to get two yards a carry on what seems 95 percent of the attempts ... well, it's working.

As for Dayjure Stewart, he does strike fear in to opponents. He's powerful and also has break-away speed. The two games he's missed, IUP nearly lost at East Stroudsburg and then did lose at Gannon. Probably not a coincidence. One week off the team was probably adequate punishment.

But, again here, a long rant about the offense. They did score 36 points Saturday. They weren't the problem. The defense blew chunks. Somebody else mentioned they held SRU to 12 points. Yeah, they did. It was also in a windy, cold monsoon. Play that game again on a dry field. You may not want to see what happens.

People are saying the offense is predictable. OCs have to be licking their chops looking at the defense. It gets masked much of the season due to so many easy games against undermanned opponents. Could anybody on here -- honestly -- say they'd want to see IUP play Shepherd or SRU on a dry field? The thought of it is giving me nightmares.

There's a ton of talented players on the defensive side. But, collectively, that unit looked lost up in Erie. I mean, 2 a.m. on a dark, stormy highway lost. I think we have two defensive coordinators now. You know what they say about having two QBs.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Glass houses...
                I didn’t know The Denny was so state of the art.

At least the Cig has visitor rest rooms and has good trucks over there. The Denny has nothing.

Comment

• On the injury front:

DE Vaughn Wallace left the Gannon game early with an ankle injury and is currently in a boot. Status for this weekend unknown but I'd guess doubtful.

DE Maurice Feazell was in concussion protocol and missed the Gannon game. They sound hopeful he will return this weekend.

Comment

People are saying the offense is predictable. OCs have to be licking their chops looking at the defense. It gets masked much of the season due to so many easy games against undermanned opponents. Could anybody on here -- honestly -- say they'd want to see IUP play Shepherd or SRU on a dry field? The thought of it is giving me nightmares.

There's a ton of talented players on the defensive side. But, collectively, that unit looked lost up in Erie. I mean, 2 a.m. on a dark, stormy highway lost. I think we have two defensive coordinators now. You know what they say about having two QBs.
                    Well they held Cal to 21 the next game. Its true, early on they played terrible against ESU, Not impressive against Hurst and Ship, even though they were not great offenses. But the last 4 games they did well. sure Boro and Seton Hill were really bad, so it hides some things. Obviously, they are not a dominating D, especially with the injuries. Will they be able to play good enough to give the Offense a chance ? They can I think. We'll see this week if they show up after a horrible game the D lost.

As far as Coaching, good OCs seem to thrive against the IUP defense. Its been that way for some time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Well they held Cal to 21 the next game. Its true, early on they played terrible against ESU, Not impressive against Hurst and Ship, even though they were not great offenses. But the last 4 games they did well. sure Boro and Seton Hill were really bad, so it hides some things. Obviously, they are not a dominating D, especially with the injuries. Will they be able to play good enough to give the Offense a chance ? They can I think. We'll see this week if they show up after a horrible game the D lost.

As far as Coaching, good OCs seem to thrive against the IUP defense. Its been that way for some time.

They are getting beat up, too, with injuries -- in particular up front. Losing Fowler for the season was a massive blow. Feazell out last week clearly hurt. And, now, Vaughn Wallace is banged up. That's their three best pass rushers. Once Wallace left the Gannon game, IUP's pass rush vanished.

They can likely live without Wallace this week. Let him get rested up.

Tort did mention last night that we may see some new faces in the secondary. He didn't say anybody was being benched but he said they are pretty much playing every snap back there. He thinks giving them some plays off here and there will help. Same with the LBs.

Comment

They are getting beat up, too, with injuries -- in particular up front. Losing Fowler for the season was a massive blow. Feazell out last week clearly hurt. And, now, Vaughn Wallace is banged up. That's their three best pass rushers. Once Wallace left the Gannon game, IUP's pass rush vanished.

They can likely live without Wallace this week. Let him get rested up.

Tort did mention last night that we may see some new faces in the secondary. He didn't say anybody was being benched but he said they are pretty much playing every snap back there. He thinks giving them some plays off here and there will help. Same with the LBs.
                        I didn't notice Wallace leave that game saturday. Yikes! I think Jaheim Howard is the only safe job in that secondary. We all know who I'd boot first!

Comment

• IUPbigINDIANS - would be interested to hear your take. Who would you like to see on the field for the DB’s? I think the linebackers are good, and the front is okay (although a little injured at the moment). As you’ve got some good insight into the players/program - any particular folks you’d be interested in seeing give it a go?

Comment

On the injury front:

DE Vaughn Wallace left the Gannon game early with an ankle injury and is currently in a boot. Status for this weekend unknown but I'd guess doubtful.

DE Maurice Feazell was in concussion protocol and missed the Gannon game. They sound hopeful he will return this weekend.

The DE injury situation clearly hurt them against Gannon. Probably won't matter this week. Hope they can reassemble it by the next weekend.

On the same front, Fowler, was injured in week 4 with a broken bone. Broken bones usually heal in 6 weeks. Is it possible ...?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post
                              IUPbigINDIANS - would be interested to hear your take. Who would you like to see on the field for the DB’s? I think the linebackers are good, and the front is okay (although a little injured at the moment). As you’ve got some good insight into the players/program - any particular folks you’d be interested in seeing give it a go?

I have no idea. I think the (5) best DBs they have ... play. Individually, they are all very talented. They have size, speed, high athleticism, etc. But, against good QBs, something sure seems off.

Are they being put in position to succeed? Are they being coached well? Are they communicating well on the field? Are they failing to read keys, etc.? I don't know those answers.

I know that if you put no heat on a really good QB (who has really good WRs) ... your secondary is in big trouble -- no matter who you have back there. I mean, they are on the backend -- and who you see when the other team is crossing the goal line. But, there's usually a cause and effect.

Nazhir Taylor has been the posterchild of the message board this season. He's certainly earned some of it. But, I've probably been way more in his camp than most. He's a CB and CBs will get burned occasionally. It happens on all levels. It's been his after-the-whistle incidents and the roughing the punter that has driven us all the most crazy. You can't get an unsportsmanlike taunting the other teams bench. You can't smack a punter after the ball is long gone. Those things are maddening -- not to mention extremely costly. But, he's also done a lot well this year. He had the huge end zone interception against SRU, and many other tough plays.

IUP does seem to blow a lot of coverages back there. They let some guys get wide open on them -- I mean nobody within 15 yards wide open. They were getting beat deep earlier in the year and then morphed in to the 'nobody gets behind us' phase. Of course, good teams spot that immediately and dink/dunk you to death until you have to adjust. Gannon did that and then went bombs away. They had a perfect attack planned. The instances IUP held firm in the secondary ... he'd just take off (and can move for a big guy).

And, let's face it. This IUP defense isn't pitching shutouts against good opponents. But, to beat a really good offensive team, they are going to need to hold them to 21-28 points or so. As we just saw, you aren't going to win many when you give up 44 points. Could they beat Shepherd, 35-28? Yes (in theory). Can they actually hold them to 28 ... that's the big question. Feazell and Wallace are essential. I sure wouldn't rush them back this week. They'll be heavily needed in two weeks.

And, as Joe Lombardi says every year when the sh!t hits the fan, ... there's no trades in D2. There's no waiver wire. Who they have is who they have.

Comment

• I an planning on having a monster tailgate for the PSAC Championship game. Everyone on the board is welcomed other than iup nation and the fighting scott clown. Food and beer on me. More details coming soon.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X