Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's all true but students weren't really the full story. As I said, we were down almost 4,000 and sure as hell we don't get 4,000 students at a game.
    I seriously believe the opening of the firearms deer season had something to do with it on top of everything else. I know a lot of people who said they weren’t coming because they were hunting. This is western PA and there’s a pretty deep hunting culture.

Lack of promotion didn’t help. You wouldn’t think it matters much but it does. This shouldn’t surprise anyone but IUP was asleep at the switch. I guess everyone wanted to get out of there and on break so they didn’t bother.

Regardless, IUP got the job done and I expect it to be a completely different atmosphere on Saturday. Right now the forecast is for mid 50’s and only a slight chance of rain. That can obviously change between now and then. One way or another, this will very likely IUP’s last home game this year. I suppose if Wingate and Colorado Mines both pull upsets the winner of IUP/Shepherd could get the home game, but that’s highly unlikely.

Comment

• Originally posted by GLIAC Fan View Post
      Question IUP fans

you’ve got a rock solid football program, a state of the art Bball facility, why is your football stadium such a dump?

attended the Ashland game, very nice campus, nice town, D1 type of Bball arena, and your football stadium was not nice at all.

is there a future plan to make your stadium match your football programs success?
      In simple terms: no.

In this era of big and fancy, IUP's football facilities are, well, not good. That said, for SR1 standards, they've had a lot of money flowing in to get players and stay highly competitive on the field.

As often discussed on here, there are at least some 'quick fix' items they could do to the stadium, but you're talking more lipstick on a pig type stuff. Major renovation-wise, you're talking the entire home side needs torn down and rebuilt. New fencing would do a ton aesthetically. It's a long list. Put it that way.

They have plenty of room for a new stadium (on the ground of the existing and right behind it) but unless you're writing a real big check, it isn't happening anytime soon.

It is odd because the campus is very nice and the basketball arena is probably Top 5 (and nicer than many D1 arenas). I think we're so used to the stadium it just kind of is what it is. They've had a ton of success there for decades and decades. It's just now way beyond some work here and there.

I'd also add that just about all the PSAC stadiums are equally old and bad. There's only a couple nice ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Speaking of...I did a lot of stupid things as a college student visiting IUP for a weekend but the closest I ever came to being arrested was peeing on Jimmy. Worst part was that when I zipped up and ran away, I caught myself with my zipper. Ducked into a house party by some fake fraternity of drummers in the marching band before the police spotlight had me. I think this was February 2003.
        Jimmy’s ghost got your talleywacker!!

Comment

Speaking of...I did a lot of stupid things as a college student visiting IUP for a weekend but the closest I ever came to being arrested was peeing on Jimmy. Worst part was that when I zipped up and ran away, I caught myself with my zipper. Ducked into a house party by some fake fraternity of drummers in the marching band before the police spotlight had me. I think this was February 2003.
          WTF did Jimmy ever do to you? LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by GLIAC Fan View Post
            Question IUP fans

you’ve got a rock solid football program, a state of the art Bball facility, why is your football stadium such a dump?

attended the Ashland game, very nice campus, nice town, D1 type of Bball arena, and your football stadium was not nice at all.

is there a future plan to make your stadium match your football programs success?
            Good question. I don't think anybody knows the answer to your question - however - I suspect there is no plan to make the stadium match the level of the football program.

It's inexplicable on one level. But, I guess, we know why. It's not a priority for the people who decide what the priorities are.

IUP isn't an independent entity like Ashland. It's completely tied in with the state system and upgrading the stadium has to get approval from the state, either in the form of the PASSHE annual budget, or, more likely, as a capital expenditure (FS82 can correct me on this). So, there are powerful people who hold the purse strings who would ask "Why IUP? Why IUP football?", even though, yes, IUP, in its history has arguably had more on-field success than any other PASSHE school. There is no "IUP is special" mentality.

The KCAC was built along with the promise of serving a greater economic development and community/regional-based role and it has met those expectations. It's hard to make that case for a football field.

IUP has large benefactors. For example, see "new science building." However, they don't have donors on that level who are sports-crazed enough to put their money into a football field. This is in contrast to Ashland University, as I understand it, which has those donors who have provided for academics and athletics on a roughly equal level.

So, for the rest of the contributors, if it's a choice between putting a consistently quality product on the field and having a great stadium, the default is the program. I guess without the commitment from the administration there is no chance of having our dream facility.

At the minimum, though, upgrade the pressbox!

Comment

• I’d rather have money for scholarships than piss it on a stadium that gets used 5-8 times a year. There isn’t one nice stadium in the Pee Sack.

Everyone is free to write a check to Sutton Hall for a stadium renovation fund.

Scholarship money for IUP is why it’s been successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Good question. I don't think anybody knows the answer to your question - however - I suspect there is no plan to make the stadium match the level of the football program.

It's inexplicable on one level. But, I guess, we know why. It's not a priority for the people who decide what the priorities are.

IUP isn't an independent entity like Ashland. It's completely tied in with the state system and upgrading the stadium has to get approval from the state, either in the form of the PASSHE annual budget, or, more likely, as a capital expenditure (FS82 can correct me on this). So, there are powerful people who hold the purse strings who would ask "Why IUP? Why IUP football?", even though, yes, IUP, in its history has arguably had more on-field success than any other PASSHE school. There is no "IUP is special" mentality.

The KCAC was built along with the promise of serving a greater economic development and community/regional-based role and it has met those expectations. It's hard to make that case for a football field.

IUP has large benefactors. For example, see "new science building." However, they don't have donors on that level who are sports-crazed enough to put their money into a football field. This is in contrast to Ashland University, as I understand it, which has those donors who have provided for academics and athletics on a roughly equal level.

So, for the rest of the contributors, if it's a choice between putting a consistently quality product on the field and having a great stadium, the default is the program. I guess without the commitment from the administration there is no chance of having our dream facility.

At the minimum, though, upgrade the pressbox!
                Yeah you've got it. Since IUP is state-owned, construction dollars from the state are difficult to come by so they prioritize state money for renovating more mainstream buildings. They'd have to use university savings (rapidly depleting) or fund it in pieces. Either way, the folks on the academic end will howl. The major donors have specific interests. I don't know of any high wealth IUP alumni who are IUP football followers. The KCAC received some nice funds from the state because it was billed as a regional events center (to supplant the aging arena in Johnstown) and a mini convention center (hence the IUP Foundation-financed hotel). I just don't think you could spin a new football stadium in any way as a common good for the region - unless as I've mentioned before - it was tied into the Indiana County fair grandstand. I don't see the need for a neutral site for high school games like say Edinboro, Clarion, or Slippery Rock are for the PIAA, either. All IUP really needs is a new home grandstand and spruce up the complex (replace the fencing). All the other pieces are there from previous piecemeal projects. A center reserved section (with chairbacks) will impress the local old farts and some indoor suites for Frodo Driscoll to entertain would generate interest (and revenue) similar to what the KCAC provided for basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                  I’d rather have money for scholarships than piss it on a stadium that gets used 5-8 times a year. There isn’t one nice stadium in the Pee Sack.

Everyone is free to write a check to Sutton Hall for a stadium renovation fund.

Scholarship money for IUP is why it’s been successful.
                  I think Ship's stadium could use some improvements on the visiting side, but other than that I think certainly satisfactory for our uses.

Comment

Yeah you've got it. Since IUP is state-owned, construction dollars from the state are difficult to come by so they prioritize state money for renovating more mainstream buildings. They'd have to use university savings (rapidly depleting) or fund it in pieces. Either way, the folks on the academic end will howl. The major donors have specific interests. I don't know of any high wealth IUP alumni who are IUP football followers. The KCAC received some nice funds from the state because it was billed as a regional events center (to supplant the aging arena in Johnstown) and a mini convention center (hence the IUP Foundation-financed hotel). I just don't think you could spin a new football stadium in any way as a common good for the region - unless as I've mentioned before - it was tied into the Indiana County fair grandstand. I don't see the need for a neutral site for high school games like say Edinboro, Clarion, or Slippery Rock are for the PIAA, either. All IUP really needs is a new home grandstand and spruce up the complex (replace the fencing). All the other pieces are there from previous piecemeal projects. A center reserved section (with chairbacks) will impress the local old farts and some indoor suites for Frodo Driscoll to entertain would generate interest (and revenue) similar to what the KCAC provided for basketball.
                    I would like a chairback for my seat now that you mention it!

Comment

• Here's the quickest fix (albeit not a cheap one):

Move the track to the old practice area behind the stadium and move the home side forward toward the field (as part of replacing the home side). Same on the visitor side. Instantly a whole new vibe.

More than enough room. Parking lots remain the same.

Comment

Here's the quickest fix (albeit not a cheap one):

Move the track to the old practice area behind the stadium and move the home side forward toward the field (as part of replacing the home side). Same on the visitor side. Instantly a whole new vibe.

More than enough room. Parking lots remain the same.
                        I like that. Here are a few additions. Take down the high fence and surround the stadium (the areas between the bleachers) with hedges, similar to Georgia. The gates are always open anyway so there’s really no use for the fence, and there are ways to concentrate fans so they have to enter through a ticket taker. Further develop the areas in opposite corners of the end zone for grass/lawn seating. That little spot up by the Field House has become quite popular and you could easily build a gently sloping embankment in the opposite south west corner. A press box overhaul is an obvious need. Finally, how about a tunnel for the players to come through onto the field and through the band? Even an inflatable one would be better than the randomness that happens now in that north west corner.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I like that. Here are a few additions. Take down the high fence and surround the stadium (the areas between the bleachers) with hedges, similar to Georgia. The gates are always open anyway so there’s really no use for the fence, and there are ways to concentrate fans so they have to enter through a ticket taker. Further develop the areas in opposite corners of the end zone for grass/lawn seating. That little spot up by the Field House has become quite popular and you could easily build a gently sloping embankment in the opposite south west corner. A press box overhaul is an obvious need. Finally, how about a tunnel for the players to come through onto the field and through the band? Even an inflatable one would be better than the randomness that happens now in that north west corner.
                          Can somebody explain why they come out that side now instead of walking from the field house where it is visible to the fans? I used to really like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I think Ship's stadium could use some improvements on the visiting side, but other than that I think certainly satisfactory for our uses.
                            They all serve their purpose.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Can somebody explain why they come out that side now instead of walking from the field house where it is visible to the fans? I used to really like that.
                              The fans were the issue. Tort was tired of players talking to girlfriends leaving the field at halftime. He said too many distractions.

Where they come out now is where Frank's teams all came out.

Comment

The fans were the issue. Tort was tired of players talking to girlfriends leaving the field at halftime. He said too many distractions.

Where they come out now is where Frank's teams all came out.
                                Yeah, for those of us who have been around for a while it was odd when they started coming out by the front of the stadium. I personally like them coming out where they do now, but I’d still like a tunnel. :)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X