Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting to hear Tort not shy away from showing some disappointment in the crowd on Saturday on the Hawk Talk show. Quote of the night: “They must not have had Thanksgiving at Shepherd, there were 5,000 fans there,” LOL. Well played coach. Well played.

Other notable information was he said Brown looked close to 100% today in practice and a decision on Stewart will come after a test on Wednesday. He said he liked how he was moving around today, although he did not practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Can somebody explain why they come out that side now instead of walking from the field house where it is visible to the fans? I used to really like that.
      It avoids conflicts between the team and some knuckleheads that has happened a few times before.

Comment

• Tomorrow is Giving Tuesday.

Tort has a ton coming back next year but will need to purchase some portal DL. Good ones don't come cheap.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
          Interesting to hear Tort not shy away from showing some disappointment in the crowd on Saturday on the Hawk Talk show. Quote of the night: “They must not have had Thanksgiving at Shepherd, there were 5,000 fans there,” LOL. Well played coach. Well played.

Other notable information was he said Brown looked close to 100% today in practice and a decision on Stewart will come after a test on Wednesday. He said he liked how he was moving around today, although he did not practice.
          Their townies showed up. Ours either didn’t care or were out of town at Mom Mom’s….

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Their townies showed up. Ours either didn’t care or were out of town at Mom Mom’s….
            They may also be in a depression due to the Squealers' lousy season.

Comment

• Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post

They may also be in a depression due to the Squealers' lousy season.
              Indiana High School got b-slapped all season, you’d think the locals would cue up behind the local team that wins.

I think the local resentment factor towards the school and students plays in too…the locals need to get over it. You are a college town whose economy is married to the school for better or for worse. Without the campus you are just a slightly bigger version of Punxsutawney but instead of a giant rat you have a statue of a dead actor to rest your laurels on…liberal college towns tend to embrace their schools.

Comment

I mean who didn’t know there was a game? You have be either deaf and blind or dead.

It was a holiday weekend and people had other things to do.

You'd be surprised.

We're talking about Average Joe Fan here not attending the game ... not diehards and message board types. Johnny Saltsburg, his wife Betty Homer-City along with their 3.5 kids attending is what gets that number spiked. They didn't attend.

So, when the mothership does nothing to promote the game aside from a couple random Tweets ... well, we saw what happened. IUP Football doesn't have a rabid fan base (outside of this board). It never has. Their biggest crowds are always tied to some form of promotion (Band Day got 6,000 to the Clarion game a month ago). The opponent or the stage rarely drive the bus when it comes to selling tickets at IUP. So, I really do question if it was as simple as many people didn't know there was a game. You're talking almost a full 4,000 less than the season average. That's huge -- holiday weekend or not.

Now, all of that said - along with all the other theories - IUP was far from the only school in D2 to draw bad last weekend. Of the 8 hosted games, half drew less than 2,312 or less.

Benedict - 5,719
                Shepherd - 5,291
                Grand Valley - 4,049
                Angelo State - 3,956
                Ferris State - 2,312
                Colorado Mines - 2,142
                IUP - 1,295
                Delta State - 1,059

When you get the head ball coach yapping about how poor the attendance was on his show (rather than slinging Co-Op merch) ... you know it was bad. The three reserved sections had gigantic, empty patches in them. The two end sections (one vacant by no band) were extremely thin. I felt bad for the players. That's supposed to be a big stage ... and then you come out to that disaster.

I still can't fathom the band and cheerleaders didn't attend.

Comment

Indiana High School got b-slapped all season, you’d think the locals would cue up behind the local team that wins.

I think the local resentment factor towards the school and students plays in too…the locals need to get over it. You are a college town whose economy is married to the school for better or for worse. Without the campus you are just a slightly bigger version of Punxsutawney but instead of a giant rat you have a statue of a dead actor to rest your laurels on…liberal college towns tend to embrace their schools.
                  The resentment goes back to Frank's last few years, the horrible behavior of some players, and then the follow on disaster of Tony Atwater, Lou Tepper, and IUPatty's . I've talked to a lot of Alumni, from that era, that just will not support the football program despite the changes. The locals left, and have not really comeback. Some of it is economic, there used to be many more sponsors, local businesses, etc. - the really rich locals have all died, or moved away - after putting their money in the KCAC. Rosebud mining is a current sponsor that won't last long. The S+T Bank, a few Insurance guys is all anymore. There's a bit more for basketball, where the local retail businesses can get more attention for less money. The fact is the town has grown much poorer in the last 20 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

The OL can dominate all they want but if you have a QB making **** decisions and making **** passes, it won’t matter! Sexton was god awful yesterday. Even fumbled a snap because he was ****ting his pants with the game on the line.

Baget will torch the secondary next week. He would’ve a couple weeks ago if his receivers could’ve held on to the ball.

Shep wins by 17 or more next week.
                    Dude u need to find a new team, your hate for IUP is getting old, grind that axe somewhere else nobody takes your bull#### seriously, u are another aged personality, bye now.

Comment

That's largely from a bygone era. I don't sense a resentment factor any more in Indiana. IUP is a shell of itself. I don't think most people even realize anymore when campus is in session versus when it's on break. The enrollment is so down that the off-campus housing market is all but dead. The students almost all live down in the immediate circumference of campus now. It's like their own little world and the two (campus and Indiana) don't really mingle or run in to each other much. It's not like the boom era of the 80/s90s when the enrollment was double and students were mixed in to neighborhoods all through town. The slum houses of that time were all sold by the 'lords' due to having no clients. The vast majority were flipped in to single family homes.

There was certainly a time when many in Indiana would have preferred to build a "Berlin Wall" type structure around that campus. But, that was a long time ago.

The IUP many of us knew is long dead. I mean, of that 8,800-some enrollment, a big chunk are commuters and online students. I don't even think two of the newer dorms even opened this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Dude u need to find a new team, your hate for IUP is getting old, grind that axe somewhere else nobody takes your bull#### seriously, u are another aged personality, bye now.
                        Why didn’t they beat Ashland more handily? Sexton’s poor decisions, ints and poor accuracy! Plain and simple.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's largely from a bygone era. I don't sense a resentment factor any more in Indiana. IUP is a shell of itself. I don't think most people even realize anymore when campus is in session versus when it's on break. The enrollment is so down that the off-campus housing market is all but dead. The students almost all live down in the immediate circumference of campus now. It's like their own little world and the two (campus and Indiana) don't really mingle or run in to each other much. It's not like the boom era of the 80/s90s when the enrollment was double and students were mixed in to neighborhoods all through town. The slum houses of that time were all sold by the 'lords' due to having no clients. The vast majority were flipped in to single family homes.

There was certainly a time when many in Indiana would have preferred to build a "Berlin Wall" type structure around that campus. But, that was a long time ago.

The IUP many of us knew is long dead. I mean, of that 8,800-some enrollment, a big chunk are commuters and online students. I don't even think two of the newer dorms even opened this year.

IronmanIUP has a point there. Many were turned off from the football program toward the end of the Frank era. And, of course, LTL put everybody to sleep and Curt was seen as a jerk by many. So, that's a long stretch of turning people off.
                          Yeah, when they gave a monopoly on student meals to the on campus establishments, it really hurt the downtown. It used to be students could use their meal card at places like Bruno's but no more. the only place I've seen students is at what used to be Crouse's Cafe for weekend brunch - don't remember the new name of the place.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

So basically it’s now like West Chester. Unless you are close to campus you don’t know it’s there.

Comment

So basically it’s now like West Chester. Unless you are close to campus you don’t know it’s there.
                              That's fairly accurate at the current time.

Comment

• Originally posted by GLIAC Fan View Post
                                Question IUP fans

you’ve got a rock solid football program, a state of the art Bball facility, why is your football stadium such a dump?

attended the Ashland game, very nice campus, nice town, D1 type of Bball arena, and your football stadium was not nice at all.

is there a future plan to make your stadium match your football programs success?
                                It’s called lack of money PA college system worst in the country…that answer your question.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X