Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Never know. Ferris and GVSU are going to smash each other this weekend.

And, it's no secret they call drawing SR1 in the Final Four the 'bye' week.

There are certain years we have good enough teams to perhaps catch one sleeping.

Sans the Max injury the week prior in 2017 may have been much different.

But, we've also seen first hand many, many blowouts.
    Shepherd did pretty well prior to joining the PSAC, perhaps its a PSAC curse?

2010 against Delta St 29-17, if not for that lightning delay, could have been an upset!
    2015 against Grand Valley State, won 34-32
    2016 against North Alabama, lost 23-13

2021 against Ferris St, good lawd have mercy 55-7 big L.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Shepherd did pretty well prior to joining the PSAC, perhaps its a PSAC curse?

2010 against Delta St 29-17, if not for that lightning delay, could have been an upset!
      2015 against Grand Valley State, won 34-32
      2016 against North Alabama, lost 23-13

2021 against Ferris St, good lawd have mercy 55-7 big L.
      In fairness, last year's Ferris State team may have been the best DII team I ever saw. They had no weaknesses. Granted, Shepherd could have played better and it didn't need to be that bad, but nobody was beating Ferris.

IUP had its chances against West Florida in the 27-17 loss but as IUPbigIndians pointed out, IUP's best player was lost for the season the previous week. West Florida got out fast, IUP responded, but in the end couldn't make enough plays.

Every year is different so you never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

In fairness, last year's Ferris State team may have been the best DII team I ever saw. They had no weaknesses. Granted, Shepherd could have played better and it didn't need to be that bad, but nobody was beating Ferris.

IUP had its chances against West Florida in the 27-17 loss but as IUPbigIndians pointed out, IUP's best player was lost for the season the previous week. West Florida got out fast, IUP responded, but in the end couldn't make enough plays.

And, most would probably argue the two best are playing each other this weekend. So, one of them is gone.

Comment

Agreed, that Ferris team was incredible. Their pass game might have been a weakness, but since Shepherd couldn't stop literally anything, they only threw maybe 2 passes the whole game so we'll never know. Shepherd had 9 seniors and graduate students on that defense that are gone... and the defense improved immensely once they left. I can't help but think they didn't play well together as a team and it was just time for them all to move on.

Comment

They both better enjoy this game. The winner typically becomes the Final Four version of Clarion the following week.
            Barring any big upsets in the other regional finals, this is the Super Bowl for both teams. Defiantly not saying the winner between Shepherd and IUP can’t win the following week, but the way it has been going with the exception of 2015, when Shepherd made it to the NC, SR1 hasn’t fared to well in the semis.

Comment

You obviously are forgetting the Grand Valley team that destroyed the Eyerman lead IUP team. Grand Valley made that IUP squad look like the were a lowly single A high school team.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

You obviously are forgetting the Grand Valley team that destroyed the Eyerman lead IUP team. Grand Valley made that IUP squad look like the were a lowly single A high school team.
                “…may have been the best…” Obviously that Grand Valley team was great too, and there have been other dominant teams. Just my opinion. Ferris didn’t play a competitive game in the playoffs. The closest margin was 21 in the first round, and after that the margins were 49 in the semis and 41 in the final. That 2002 Grand Valley team pulled out the title game with just over a minute left over Valdosta State. That was one of the better National Championship games ever.

Comment

And, most would probably argue the two best are playing each other this weekend. So, one of them is gone.
                  For a long time, fans in the Midwest and South argued that having one team from each region cheats better teams from their regions.
                  I am sure most of them still think this. For the most part they are correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by GregD View Post

For a long time, fans in the Midwest and South argued that having one team from each region cheats better teams from their regions.
                    I am sure most of them still think this. For the most part they are correct.
                    Win the games in front of you if you want to be the best!

Comment

• Looks like the rain will be in Indiana from about midnight to 2 p.m. tomorrow. So, a good chunk of it shouldn't have rain.

It will be windy all day with 10-20 mph winds expected. In Miller, those speeds increase.

So, not quite as bad as we thought. Temperature will be a non-issue in the low 50s.

Comment

Looks like the rain will be in Indiana from about midnight to 2 p.m. tomorrow. So, a good chunk of it shouldn't have rain.

It will be windy all day with 10-20 mph winds expected. In Miller, those speeds increase.

So, not quite as bad as we thought. Temperature will be a non-issue in the low 50s.
                        Should be a non issue I agree. Turnovers and sustaining drives will be the winning formula tomorrow, as it is almost always for evenly matched teams.

Comment

• There's a rumor circulating in the Twitter world that Ashland's Lee Owens may be retiring. He has a press conference scheduled for 1 p.m. today.

He's 66 so I'd say it's pretty unlikely he's taking another job. His Wikipedia page is actually already calling him the 'former' HC at Ashland.

Comment

There's a rumor circulating in the Twitter world that Ashland's Lee Owens may be retiring. He has a press conference scheduled for 1 p.m. today.

He's 66 so I'd say it's pretty unlikely he's taking another job. His Wikipedia page is actually already calling him the 'former' HC at Ashland.
                            That could change the next 4 years in that IUP/Ashland series.

Comment

There's a rumor circulating in the Twitter world that Ashland's Lee Owens may be retiring. He has a press conference scheduled for 1 p.m. today.

Ashland might be the best opening in the entire Region. Recruiting area is good, stadium/facilities are really top notch for D2, and from what I recall they are fully funded as well right? I'd imagine they are going to get a ton of interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Ashland might be the best opening in the entire Region. Recruiting area is good, stadium/facilities are really top notch for D2, and from what I recall they are fully funded as well right? I'd imagine they are going to get a ton of interest.
                                I haven't seen anything that says what their funding level is at. The only reason its discussed so much here is that nearly all PSAC members are state-owned so this info is public info and part of the conference culture. I know the privates HATE that this info gets out there.

Privates provide discounts up to 36 equivalencies and for whatever reason they tend to have trouble maximizing the dollar value vs the publics. It has been a while since a private has won a natty (1989) let alone played in the game (2013). In fact only two privates have ever won a D2 championship: Lehigh in 1977 (when FCS was D2) and Mississippi College in 1989.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X