Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine being a player who goes into the portal
    and nobody wants you, and you to face your current coaches as of now they really don’t like you anymore, since you pretty much said they sucked and tried to flee…

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
      Imagine being a player who goes into the portal
      and nobody wants you, and you to face your current coaches as of now they really don’t like you anymore, since you pretty much said they sucked and tried to flee…
      That's literally 90% of all D2 transfers. If you aren't a legitimate starter, you are walking onto another d2 program or going d3 non scholarship. A lot of them get hit with that reality quickly, when nobody calls for the first couple weeks, while they are peddling grainy practice film of their "highlights" to every coach they can search for on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

That's literally 90% of all D2 transfers. If you aren't a legitimate starter, you are walking onto another d2 program or going d3 non scholarship. A lot of them get hit with that reality quickly, when nobody calls for the first couple weeks, while they are peddling grainy practice film of their "highlights" to every coach they can search for on twitter.
        It's a big number, but perhaps not that big.

Many, many transfer players are just looking to move up in rank (i.e. get the heck out of Lock Haven and get to SRU, IUP, Shepherd, etc.).

These new rules have just about now made it impossible to win at many of our schools. You go to Clarion, LHU, etc., to get your foot in the door. The better programs are taking less and less high school recruits. Get some film and get the heck out of there.

As a whole, the Clarion's of the world don't have enough good players to compete, but they all have some players who could play/contribute at the better programs.

We're witnessing the creation of a feeder program within our own conference.

Obviously, coaching changes result in spikes, too. And, many of these coaches are like used car salesmen during the recruiting process. Some players just want to leave and get a fresh start.

Comment

• You can see high school recruiting becoming a loser's game. Not entirely, but you certainly can't put as much stock in it as you used to. Pitt lost 7 verbal commitments this year, which is the most since Narduzzi has been head coach. And I'm convinced they'll probably get better guys in the portal who will contribute next year than they would with those recruits in the next 2 years. In high school, recruits are using non-elite P5 schools to get noticed, offered, and commit to early, get better their senior year, and drive their price up in terms of NIL, etc. They decommit and head to Clemson, or UGA, or ND, etc. Then those same kids transfer out in a year or two.

It's a 9-12 month commitment nowadays. Not 4 years.

They are advised that schools like Pitt will always be waiting for them. So they go get the bag early.
          Last edited by IUP24; 12-06-2022, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
            You can see high school recruiting becoming a loser's game. Not entirely, but you certainly can't put as much stock in it as you used to. Pitt lost 7 verbal commitments this year, which is the most since Narduzzi has been head coach. And I'm convinced they'll probably get better guys in the portal who will contribute next year than they would with those recruits in the next 2 years. In high school, recruits are using non-elite P5 schools to get noticed, offered, and commit to early, get better their senior year, and drive their price up in terms of NIL, etc. They decommit and head to Clemson, or UGA, or ND, etc. Then those same kids transfer out in a year or two.

It's a 9-12 month commitment nowadays. Not 4 years.

They are advised that schools like Pitt will always be waiting for them. So they go get the back early.
            Tort took a massive freshmen class last year (31) and just three transfers (all D2 transfers). I think 25 or 26 redshirted this year.

He said tonight that had others (SRU was mentioned) been taking more HS players last year that they'd have never got all those guys.

Of course, now the question is how many can you keep here. Certainly, they probably have a couple that won't or didn't work out. I'll be curious to see how many of the 31 are here for Spring ball. If retention is high, that's an incredible building block for the years to come.

He said tonight they'll obviously hit the portal for some OL and DL this winter. But, as a whole, IUP isn't going to be a 'portal program'.

It was probably the best Hawk Talk of the year tonight. They took some crowd questions that were more pointed than we are used to on the show.

Tort is getting very good at spinning answers (not to Joe Lombardi's level but nonetheless). The crowd asked about the conditions of Miller, poor attendance at both playoff games, etc.

As some know, Lombardi is a very polished interviewer and can be asked a direct question about why grass is green and answer it with a 3-minute sermon about the type of soap he uses to wash his car. At the end of 3 minutes it sounds incredible but you realize he totally ignored the question.

Anyway, Tort said Pietropola is not coming back. That could change but as of now he's done. Dylan Grubbs likely is returning in the Fall. McClean Dojoha (sp) is returning in the Fall but has to sit out the spring as he's almost out of semesters.

Jack asked about the mythical Danielson DL from TJ. Tort didn't say much other than he'll join the team in the Spring.

Tort also said if his players enter the portal they can basically pack up and leave. They aren't taking them back. I beleive that for Average Joe. We'll see when a star enters. But, stars get treated differently. That's just reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Tort took a massive freshmen class last year (31) and just three transfers (all D2 transfers). I think 25 or 26 redshirted this year.

He said tonight that had others (SRU was mentioned) been taking more HS players last year that they'd have never got all those guys.

Of course, now the question is how many can you keep here. Certainly, they probably have a couple that won't or didn't work out. I'll be curious to see how many of the 31 are here for Spring ball. If retention is high, that's an incredible building block for the years to come.

He said tonight they'll obviously hit the portal for some OL and DL this winter. But, as a whole, IUP isn't going to be a 'portal program'.

It was probably the best Hawk Talk of the year tonight. They took some crowd questions that were more pointed than we are used to on the show.

Tort is getting very good at spinning answers (not to Joe Lombardi's level but nonetheless). The crowd asked about the conditions of Miller, poor attendance at both playoff games, etc.

As some know, Lombardi is a very polished interviewer and can be asked a direct question about why grass is green and answer it with a 3-minute sermon about the type of soap he uses to wash his car. At the end of 3 minutes it sounds incredible but you realize he totally ignored the question.

Anyway, Tort said Pietropola is not coming back. That could change but as of now he's done. Dylan Grubbs likely is returning in the Fall. McClean Dojoha (sp) is returning in the Fall but has to sit out the spring as he's almost out of semesters.

Jack asked about the mythical Danielson DL from TJ. Tort didn't say much other than he'll join the team in the Spring.

Tort also said if his players enter the portal they can basically pack up and leave. They aren't taking them back. I beleive that for Average Joe. We'll see when a star enters. But, stars get treated differently. That's just reality.
              My question: WTF was that?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Just a guess ... but my money would be on No. 20?

He acted like a fool after the first game.
                #7 for Shepherd a real Ass hat, dude was chirping all game and after…His own team was telling him to shut up kinda funny. Thought Shepherd overall discipline and class was subpar #30 another dude that needs a talking to. Looks like big Ernie has minimal if any control…just sayin

Comment

Haven't seen a ton on him. From the measurables, he is smaller than his brother. I think he's generously listed at 6', while Tyson is legitimately 6'2", but I've heard the younger brother is closer to 5'10". Arm talent is tough to compare, but doesn't appear to have the zip his brother did either. I hope we get him, since he's got familiarity with the program and the offense from high school certainly translates to what the Rams run. Kid can grow too, work ethic in that family is top notch so I'd expect the younger brother to be in the same mold from that perspective.
                  Where else would he go, he’s no FCS guy that’s for sure..

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post
                    #7 for Shepherd a real Ass hat, dude was chirping all game and after…His own team was telling him to shut up kinda funny. Thought Shepherd overall discipline and class was subpar #30 another dude that needs a talking to. Looks like big Ernie has minimal if any control…just sayin
                    We have a couple fools, too. Not as many as most years, however.

Comment

Haven't seen a ton on him. From the measurables, he is smaller than his brother. I think he's generously listed at 6', while Tyson is legitimately 6'2", but I've heard the younger brother is closer to 5'10". Arm talent is tough to compare, but doesn't appear to have the zip his brother did either. I hope we get him, since he's got familiarity with the program and the offense from high school certainly translates to what the Rams run. Kid can grow too, work ethic in that family is top notch so I'd expect the younger brother to be in the same mold from that perspective.
                      Sounds a lot like Trevor and Cody Harris, two Edinboro QBs from a decade ago or more.

Comment

If you all would've stopped #30 he probably wouldn't have talked so much. 3 TDs does make one a little more chirpy.

Comment

Right... if that's the case than no coach has any control... just sayin

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

If you all would've stopped #30 he probably wouldn't have talked so much. 3 TDs does make one a little more chirpy.
                            So he doesn’t know how to win with class. Duly noted.

What goes around will eventually come around and hopefully you Swifties will take what you dish out.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

So he doesn’t know how to win with class. Duly noted.

What goes around will eventually come around and hopefully you Swifties will take what you dish out.
                              It's typically not the guys on the actual offense or defense that start most of that stuff. It's usually the 'along for the ride' dudes on the bench.

Those are all the special teams 'lit' dudes. That's why there are so many stupid flags on kickoffs. They never shut up and can't grasp the whistle means to stop.

That's the No. 1 reason I wish we could get a kicker who could routinely bury kickoffs for touchbacks. It would save IUP a personal foul just about every week (not to mention a couple injuries).

Comment

• Welcome to the first edition of Buying or Selling.

Today's item: the secondary

No group got more scrutiny this year (and last). They had some terrific games this year. They had some horrific games this year, too.

The pros:

* Still very young. This year was a true freshman, several true sophomores, and, board favorite (No. 11) Taylor (a junior).

* Very experienced group heading in to 2023

* Very athletic and fast

* Tort thinks very highly of this group

The cons:

* Remeber that game in Erie?

* Remember the game 72 hours ago?

* Lots of blown coverages this year -- especially early.

* Some killer (stupid) personal fouls at extremely bad times ... happened a lot, actually.

* Good QBs in dry conditions shredded them this year (ESU, Gannon, Shepherd Rd2).

The top 9 DBs return in 2023. That's a lot. But, is this a group that needs some upgrade this off-season, or, are you comfortable with a year older version in 2023 (when the league will have a lot less big time QBs)?

Secondary. Are you buying or selling what the CO-OP shirt slinger is selling?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X