Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Penn Cambria QB Garrett Harrold signed with Duquesne. He had D2 offers from IUP, Slippery Rock and Shippensburg.

This could be a name we see again in the future if things don't work out down there.
    Why would anyone go to Duquesne for foosball?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

They're Catholic and want to go to college with priests living on campus, its their opportunity to brag that they play D1 football, or they have post-college plans that align well with Duquesne's professional schools (Duquesne has a respectable law school).

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

They're Catholic and want to go to college with priests living on campus, its their opportunity to brag that they play D1 football, or they have post-college plans that align well with Duquesne's professional schools (Duquesne has a respectable law school).
        I guess they want to get buggered by the priests.

Comment

I guess they want to get buggered by the priests.
          I'd suppose some of it -- aside from the 'D1' logo and academics (for some) -- is the urban campus.

I mean, when Indiana feels like a city compared to most of our campuses ... that says something. Some kids really dig the city vibe.

Duquesne has a status around Pittsburgh. It's perhaps one their own alumni have generated, but there is an arrogance to Duquesne people. Talk to somebody who went there and they think it was Harvard or Yale. Regardless, it is a beneficial degree within Western PA -- networking, etc.

Comment

Art Rooney was their hero, so it was Duquesne or IUP.

Comment

I'd suppose some of it -- aside from the 'D1' logo and academics (for some) -- is the urban campus.

I mean, when Indiana feels like a city compared to most of our campuses ... that says something. Some kids really dig the city vibe.

Duquesne has a status around Pittsburgh. It's perhaps one their own alumni have generated, but there is an arrogance to Duquesne people. Talk to somebody who went there and they think it was Harvard or Yale. Regardless, it is a beneficial degree within Western PA -- networking, etc.
              Except Carnegie Mellon is the place people should go in Yinzerburgh for status…and that part of Oakland is much nicer or at least it used to be. Duquesne feels like it’s in a dead zone unless they spruced that area up. It’s been a few years since I was in the city.

Comment

Except Carnegie Mellon is the place people should go in Yinzerburgh for status…and that part of Oakland is much nicer or at least it used to be. Duquesne feels like it’s in a dead zone unless they spruced that area up. It’s been a few years since I was in the city.
                Except Carnegie Mellon has a 13% acceptance rate with a truly international applicant pool. Duquesne is easily #3 in SWPA after CMU and Pitt.

Comment

Except Carnegie Mellon has a 13% acceptance rate with a truly international applicant pool. Duquesne is easily #3 in SWPA after CMU and Pitt.
                  My point exactly. It’s the most prestigious school in the city by far.

I briefly dated someone who went to Duquesne when I was at IUP so I probably a lower opinion of it as a result. :-)

Comment

My point exactly. It’s the most prestigious school in the city by far.

I briefly dated someone who went to Duquesne when I was at IUP so I probably a lower opinion of it as a result. :-)
                    Was it Father McCool? Years ago I interviewed at Duquesne and between the end of my formal interview and dinner he took me into the priest house and told me to make myself a drink. Their bar setup was insane. Fortunately once things started feeling awkward the rest of the group showed up.

Comment

Was it Father McCool? Years ago I interviewed at Duquesne and between the end of my formal interview and dinner he took me into the priest house and told me to make myself a drink. Their bar setup was insane. Fortunately once things started feeling awkward the rest of the group showed up.
                      No. They were a student from a wealthy family in Murraysville who drank like a fish which is why it was very brief. The most I got out of it was a free ride to the Pittsburgh airport to go on Spring Break in Florida.

But I’m not shocked you were a target..

Comment

• IUP has offered former WVU WR Nick Maher (North Catholic).

Nice size at 6'2 and 210 lbs. He redshirted and then didn't play a whole lot this past year. Three years eligibility.

Comment

I believe yesterday was considered an early signing day for D2 so it would be transfers.
                          I little birdie from Memorial indicates a monster D1 OL is in the works, massive individual from a power 5…Much needed replacement for vet D. Davis. They will probably have the two biggest tackles in the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post
                            I little birdie from Memorial indicates a monster D1 OL is in the works, massive individual from a power 5…Much needed replacement for vet D. Davis. They will probably have the two biggest tackles in the country.
                            What's wrong with him?

i.e. why is he considering D2?

Comment

What's wrong with him?

i.e. why is he considering D2?
                              Why not IUP?

Even with the new transfer rules I thought IUP would go after D1 guys. They have very specific needs. Plus, it's a great program and a great school. I'm totally serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Why not IUP?

Even with the new transfer rules I thought IUP would go after D1 guys. They have very specific needs. Plus, it's a great program and a great school. I'm totally serious.
                                I guess we'll need to know more. If it's a P5 walk-on, that's one thing. It tells me he probably should have been down a level anyway. SRU took some big bodies from Pitt in the past several years who were really just D2 guys all along.

If it's a P5 scholarship player with monstrous size ... I'd again ask ... what's wrong with him? Not many want to leave the luxuries and allure of P5 football to play in the bus leagues. That's like going from the Yankees to the Altoona Curve (by choice). I know IUP is a good program and a decent school. But, P5 to D2 is quite the jump. It wasn't in the 90s. It is today.

Perfect example is the 7-footer in D2 basketball. There's always a reason they are in D2 basketball.

Even Max Redfield had baggage.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X