Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The Field House is going to be tricky with its 'war memorial' status, etc. Let me rephrase: It would be tricky to ever tear it down. That said, yes, it could certainly use a massive update. It was a nice venue even in to the 90s, but, well, that was a long time ago.

Miller, overall, is such a mess I wouldn't even know where to start. As we always say, if renovation was the only option, obviously the entire home side is knocked down, redesigned and rebuilt. The ugly prison fencing needed to go 25 years ago. The concrete wall (highly visible) between Miller and MFH is nearing disrepair and is a major eye-soar.

Personally, I CANNOT STAND the current end zones. I'd call it the current configuration but there is just emptiness. I've mentioned to anybody who will listen putting bleachers behind both end zones. I'm not talking like 30 rows worth. Say a 10-row high set, full width of end zone, on both ends. Currently, the 'fad' by hundreds of people is to stand along the fences between the press box down to the concession stands. The view is terrible and it makes getting through their a headache. Putting those bleachers there closes in the field. It also hides all the track equipment they just let sit down there. My guess would be one of those ends would become the de facto student section. This is a quick-fix item that wouldn't cost a fortune. They can even be removed for Track season.
    So we give it a Tippin makeover. Maybe we move the foosball offices out of there and build a foosball building complete with a indoor field behind the new home site and maybe even build then home side into the foosball building so the locker room is on the home side. We can even have a concourse with the concessions/rest rooms on the top of the stands instead of underneath and nobody will be standing along the field to watch...because you would walk down into the stand instead of up. We'd have real suites, coaches booth and a real booth for Jack to broadcast out of...without fear of it falling off the side of the stadium. The visiting coaches would have their own booth on the visiting side because don't want their cooties on the home side and their broadcast crew can stay over there too. No more hearing their announcers and coaches on the IUP feed. The east side would have a large entrance building with ticket offices and maybe a roof party deck for people to hang out up there.

Then the locker room in the field house can be for the away team with a tunnel that leads on to their sidelines.

Then we tear down Zink and put an addition on to the Field House and make it one big facility. Upgrade the pool. Maybe two pools! Expand the Golf Room. Have a state of the art indoor track..so maybe we win those Pee Sack titles so we get the Dixon Trophy by winning the sports nobody cares about.

Somebody call Mr. Youtube and shake him down so I can make this all happen!

:-)

Comment

The Field House is going to be tricky with its 'war memorial' status, etc. Let me rephrase: It would be tricky to ever tear it down. That said, yes, it could certainly use a massive update. It was a nice venue even in to the 90s, but, well, that was a long time ago.

Miller, overall, is such a mess I wouldn't even know where to start. As we always say, if renovation was the only option, obviously the entire home side is knocked down, redesigned and rebuilt. The ugly prison fencing needed to go 25 years ago. The concrete wall (highly visible) between Miller and MFH is nearing disrepair and is a major eye-soar.

Personally, I CANNOT STAND the current end zones. I'd call it the current configuration but there is just emptiness. I've mentioned to anybody who will listen putting bleachers behind both end zones. I'm not talking like 30 rows worth. Say a 10-row high set, full width of end zone, on both ends. Currently, the 'fad' by hundreds of people is to stand along the fences between the press box down to the concession stands. The view is terrible and it makes getting through their a headache. Putting those bleachers there closes in the field. It also hides all the track equipment they just let sit down there. My guess would be one of those ends would become the de facto student section. This is a quick-fix item that wouldn't cost a fortune. They can even be removed for Track season.
      Athletics could sell/rent loge-style tents in one of the end zones that may appeal to high end fans - or have one large end zone club area for donors above a certain level. RMU did this for a while and it was very popular.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

So we give it a Tippin makeover. Maybe we move the foosball offices out of there and build a foosball building complete with a indoor field behind the new home site and maybe even build then home side into the foosball building so the locker room is on the home side. We can even have a concourse with the concessions/rest rooms on the top of the stands instead of underneath and nobody will be standing along the field to watch...because you would walk down into the stand instead of up. We'd have real suites, coaches booth and a real booth for Jack to broadcast out of...without fear of it falling off the side of the stadium. The visiting coaches would have their own booth on the visiting side because don't want their cooties on the home side and their broadcast crew can stay over there too. No more hearing their announcers and coaches on the IUP feed. The east side would have a large entrance building with ticket offices and maybe a roof party deck for people to hang out up there.

Then the locker room in the field house can be for the away team with a tunnel that leads on to their sidelines.

Then we tear down Zink and put an addition on to the Field House and make it one big facility. Upgrade the pool. Maybe two pools! Expand the Golf Room. Have a state of the art indoor track..so maybe we win those Pee Sack titles so we get the Dixon Trophy by winning the sports nobody cares about.

That Tippin makeover was around $50MM.

Comment

I think Tippin cost $70m

That said, you don't even realize you're in the 'old' building. It looks and feels like new construction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

That Tippin makeover was around $50MM.
            That's chump change for Mr. YouTube.

Comment

Athletics could sell/rent loge-style tents in one of the end zones that may appeal to high end fans - or have one large end zone club area for donors above a certain level. RMU did this for a while and it was very popular.
              Clarion has a large tent near the one end zone. I assume it's for invited guests and their donors. Every time I've been there the seem to get a lot of people in there.

I'd take it at IUP. Anything to close off the end zones a bit.

Speaking of RMU, I went to the game vs. IUPUI the other night. Their new arena is nice. I was impressed. Granted, the atmosphere was terrible as it felt like about 80 people were in there. But, it's a nice venue.

Comment

Clarion has a large tent near the one end zone. I assume it's for invited guests and their donors. Every time I've been there the seem to get a lot of people in there.

Speaking of RMU, I went to the game vs. IUPUI the other night. Their new arena is nice. I was impressed. Granted, the atmosphere was terrible as it felt like about 80 people were in there. But, it's a nice venue.
                We should have sued over that name.

Comment

It doesn't seem like anyone really has something behind the endzone other than Grand Gulley U and their oddly placed student section that is bigger than the seating areas on either side line.

I was surprised to see the nicer stadiums of the MIAA had tracks in them too.

Comment

No worries. We'd have beat both of them in basketball.

Comment

It doesn't seem like anyone really has something behind the endzone other than Grand Gulley U and their oddly placed student section that is bigger than the seating areas on either side line.

I was surprised to see the nicer stadiums of the MIAA had tracks in them too.
                      The D2 best stadium...bar none...is West Texastan A&M. That's what we deserve too.

Comment

Problem has been solved: https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=668d4cbdf1e7

Comment

The RMU venue is nice except a few things:

a) its terrible for concerts unless you're on the floor because you're facing the arena floor but the stage is on one end

b) there is only ONE entrance/exit to campus so leaving campus after a big event is the biggest clusterf*** you've ever seen

c) there is only one entrance for general fans so if you had to park far on campus you have a hike (sucks when its cold), and

d) there isn't enough parking on campus for that large of an event center. The "upper" lot is dorm parking and they make students move their cars, and for big events they rent a shuttle and ask people to park a mile up the road at the Park & Ride behind Sheetz.

All little annoyances. The building was designed by their administration so they could upgrade basketball conferences and get events on campus so there's some clear group think in understanding how the peasants use the building.

Comment

The RMU venue is nice except a few things:

a) its terrible for concerts unless you're on the floor because you're facing the arena floor but the stage is on one end

b) there is only ONE entrance/exit to campus so leaving campus after a big event is the biggest clusterf*** you've ever seen

c) there is only one entrance for general fans so if you had to park far on campus you have a hike (sucks when its cold), and

d) there isn't enough parking on campus for that large of an event center. The "upper" lot is dorm parking and they make students move their cars, and for big events they rent a shuttle and ask people to park a mile up the road at the Park & Ride behind Sheetz.

All little annoyances. The building was designed by their administration so they could upgrade basketball conferences and get events on campus so there's some clear group think in understanding how the peasants use the building.

First thing I thought of was, wow, if this game was a sellout it would take an hour to get out of here.

I did walk over and look at the football stadium. Lot to be desired there.

Looks like they are getting some decent concerts in there.

Comment

First thing I thought of was, wow, if this game was a sellout it would take an hour to get out of here.

I did walk over and look at the football stadium. Lot to be desired there.

Looks like they are getting some decent concerts in there.
                              They outsourced management to a national company who works with promoters. Being a Ticketmaster venue helps a lot. There is a big gap in venue sizes in the cold months and they can exploit it.

Comment

Unless I'm missing it, it doesn't mention a name change although I guess if it's 2 schools they would change it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X