Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    For numerous reasons, I hate Signing Day hype.

But, it sure appears Tort has a loaded class coming aboard.
    I agree, but only because I follow it on Elon's app. This year was weird, for those in the "have not" end of the spectrum, there aren't many recruits who chose them over a "have" program. Also, so many kids with 1 FBS PWO, a lower FCS offer, offers from Clarion and Lock Haven, and every D3 program between Columbus and State College.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I agree, but only because I follow it on Elon's app. This year was weird, for those in the "have not" end of the spectrum, there aren't many recruits who chose them over a "have" program. Also, so many kids with 1 FBS PWO, a lower FCS offer, offers from Clarion and Lock Haven, and every D3 program between Columbus and State College.
      Clarion offered me last night. They wanted to pull and IUP and swoop in at the last minute.

I told them I think I'm a bit out of their core age demographic. They were watching film from the 90s and liked what they saw.

Comment

Clarion offered me last night. They wanted to pull and IUP and swoop in at the last minute.

I told them I think I'm a bit out of their core age demographic. They were watching film from the 90s and liked what they saw.
        Their coaching staff is old enough to have recruited you in the 90s

Comment

• Mak Sexton has “entered the workforce†per Matt’s article the Gazette. That’s going to dampen expectations around here. I don’t care who they find out there, the reality is having Mak back for a second year would have been better than whatever they find on the scrap heap later this spring.

I know not everyone was fond of Mak because he did have a tendency to throw into coverage, but that kid could make throws that you see at the D1 level. His arm talent was exceptional for DII.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
            Mak Sexton has “entered the workforce†per Matt’s article the Gazette. That’s going to dampen expectations around here. I don’t care who they find out there, the reality is having Mak back for a second year would have been better than whatever they find on the scrap heap later this spring.

I know not everyone was fond of Mak because he did have a tendency to throw into coverage, but that kid could make throws that you see at the D1 level. His arm talent was exceptional for DII.
            Feel like the PSAC is going to be wide open this year with all the signal callers of the top teams moving on now. Everyone is breaking in new guys, could make for a fun year. Maybe like 2010 when Mercyhurst came out of nowhere and won the league.

Comment

• Signed transfers:

Daric Cotman / OL / UVA-Wise

Ethan Hiester / LB / West Virginia

Tanner Krevokuch / TE / Fairmont State

Blayne Romano / QB / Mars Hill

Qadir White / OL / Syracuse

Comment

Mak Sexton has “entered the workforce†per Matt’s article the Gazette. That’s going to dampen expectations around here. I don’t care who they find out there, the reality is having Mak back for a second year would have been better than whatever they find on the scrap heap later this spring.

They'll find somebody. They found Maxwell and then Harry and then Mak.

Whomever it is will be walking in to a fantastic situation and great skill players and (as of yesterday) a monster OL.

It could be the Romano kid from Mars Hill. We'll see.

They also signed two high school QBs yesterday, although we clearly don't want a true freshman QB in the Fall.

Comment

He sure did take chances. I appreciate a QB who lives dangerously but that's also not good for the blood pressure of the geriatric IUP football boosters.

A few years ago a very good Edinboro player made a similar decision. He just got tired of the college lifestyle and wanted to be an adult after having a degree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

He sure did take chances. I appreciate a QB who lives dangerously but that's also not good for the blood pressure of the geriatric IUP football boosters.

A few years ago a very good Edinboro player made a similar decision. He just got tired of the college lifestyle and wanted to be an adult after having a degree.
                    Sexton gave them a good year but is hardly irreplaceable.

The market gets flooded after Spring Ball.

It's a headache not to have your QB in your own Spring session, but it's not the end of the world. Maxwell and Harry Football didn't partake in the Spring here and quickly adapted.

Comment

Sexton gave them a good year but is hardly irreplaceable.

The market gets flooded after Spring Ball.

It's a headache not to have your QB in your own Spring session, but it's not the end of the world. Maxwell and Harry Football didn't partake in the Spring here and quickly adapted.
                      IUP will find a QB, heck, that QB could already be there or signed. We have no idea. For what it's worth, the offense around that position is fully loaded even with losing Brown.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

IUP will find a QB, heck, that QB could already be there or signed. We have no idea. For what it's worth, the offense around that position is fully loaded even with losing Brown.
                        Tort pretty much said in the paper today they are already talking to a D2 transfer QB (but didn't say much more).

IUP will be an extremely well-stocked landing spot for a transfer QB. I'm not worried about it. He also said they are adding more transfers after Spring Ball.

Perhaps he'll discuss it a bit more on his show tonight (but I doubt it).

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I agree with all that but right now they appear a little thin at the QB position. They lost Krug earlier and now Sexton and the article says Horn has moved on (He will probably surface as a starter somewhere in the fall). Marchitelli looked fabulous on his highlight reels. Sexton leaving makes things interesting. IUP should also have an awesome running game in '23.

Comment

• One thing we’ve learned, especially in recent years, is that success is more of a year-to-year deal than in the days of building classes and having them develop through the system. Most teams will have a half dozen or more kids lining up for them in the starting lineup that played elsewhere the year before. Instead of building sustained success through the program it’s more about getting a group of strangers to play well together quickly. Your team that finished 10-0 in the previous regular season could drop to 6-4 the next if the pieces don’t fit.

I guess we’ll see how it goes but right now it’s a lot of guessing and hoping. Obviously QB is a priority. Right now the QB room is a drawer full of batteries that you don’t know if they’re good or out of juice. You might get lucky and find one or two that can do the job, but it sounds like IUP is focused on buying new. The cycle continues.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I agree with all that but right now they appear a little thin at the QB position. They lost Krug earlier and now Sexton and the article says Horn has moved on (He will probably surface as a starter somewhere in the fall). Marchitelli looked fabulous on his highlight reels. Sexton leaving makes things interesting. IUP should also have an awesome running game in '23.
                              Horn was never going to play at IUP pending some disaster and Krug was a D3 guy on the roster.

They'll have Marchitelli and the Mars Hill transfer for the Spring ... and will just have to make do. They signed two high school QBs yesterday and will add the likely starter soon enough. So, they will likely have (5) on the Fall roster.

Comment

Horn was never going to play at IUP pending some disaster and Krug was a D3 guy on the roster.

They'll have Marchitelli and the Mars Hill transfer for the Spring ... and will just have to make do. They signed two high school QBs yesterday and will add the likely starter soon enough. So, they will likely have (5) on the Fall roster.
                                Correct. It's virtually a complete turnover at the QB position. Just sayin'.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X