Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They'll find somebody. They found Maxwell and then Harry and then Mak.

Whomever it is will be walking in to a fantastic situation and great skill players and (as of yesterday) a monster OL.

It could be the Romano kid from Mars Hill. We'll see.

They also signed two high school QBs yesterday, although we clearly don't want a true freshman QB in the Fall.
    The kid from Upper Merion is from Bridgeport which is the hometown for both sides of my family so I’m already on his side.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
      Mak Sexton has “entered the workforce” per Matt’s article the Gazette. That’s going to dampen expectations around here. I don’t care who they find out there, the reality is having Mak back for a second year would have been better than whatever they find on the scrap heap later this spring.

I know not everyone was fond of Mak because he did have a tendency to throw into coverage, but that kid could make throws that you see at the D1 level. His arm talent was exceptional for DII.
      Very replaceable, good player for sure but did have some issues size, throwing picks, limited mobility if any…A great time to get a guy is May when portal opens with the guys that see the writing on the wall from spring ball. Very attractive opening, huge offensive line 2 great receivers and soon to be 2 great backs. In addition probably 8 starters returning on Defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Very replaceable, good player for sure but did have some issues size, throwing picks, limited mobility if any…A great time to get a guy is May when portal opens with the guys that see the writing on the wall from spring ball. Very attractive opening, huge offensive line 2 great receivers and soon to be 2 great backs. In addition probably 8 starters returning on Defense.
        God, now Sexton is replaceable? Just a few months ago you were saying he was the best QB to ever play at IUP. Hypocrite!

Comment

• Tort said Dayjure Stewart had surgery the first week of January and will likely miss the first couple games.

So, that sounds like a major surgery.

That leaves Houser and Younger in addition to the rumor of a transfer RB.

Comment

They'll find somebody. They found Maxwell and then Harry and then Mak.

Whomever it is will be walking in to a fantastic situation and great skill players and (as of yesterday) a monster OL.

It could be the Romano kid from Mars Hill. We'll see.

They also signed two high school QBs yesterday, although we clearly don't want a true freshman QB in the Fall.
            The difference is that we went from knowing what we've got to not knowing. It will be someone new.

The guy from Mars Hill could be a diamond in the rough. Apparently, some people thought he might have been the best QB in Central Florida as a senior but he was outside of the major media markets and didn't get a lot of attention. Also, I think his junior year he missed a lot of time due to injury. He's a dual-threat QB. So is Marchitelli. Hey, we could go back to the freshman Lenny offense.

They are both young, though. If IUP could land a high-profile transfer like they have in the past, he could be the missing piece in what could be a very big season.

I know, I know, everybody thinks the SR1 programs can't compete. If all of the pieces come together they could go far. Hopefully, Stewart and Lockhart recover from their injuries.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

God, now Sexton is replaceable? Just a few months ago you were saying he was the best QB to ever play at IUP. Hypocrite!
              Not true, always said he was solid but never the best ever don’t make things up. Probably third best out of last 4 starters who were all good players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Not true, always said he was solid but never the best ever don’t make things up. Probably third best out of last 4 starters who were all good players.
                If I had the time to go back and quote you I would... you now changed your tune.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The difference is that we went from knowing what we've got to not knowing. It will be someone new.

The guy from Mars Hill could be a diamond in the rough. Apparently, some people thought he might have been the best QB in Central Florida as a senior but he was outside of the major media markets and didn't get a lot of attention. Also, I think his junior year he missed a lot of time due to injury. He's a dual-threat QB. So is Marchitelli. Hey, we could go back to the freshman Lenny offense.

They are both young, though. If IUP could land a high-profile transfer like they have in the past, he could be the missing piece in what could be a very big season.

I know, I know, everybody thinks the SR1 programs can't compete. If all of the pieces come together they could go far. Hopefully, Stewart and Lockhart recover from their injuries.

IUP had the luxury of Sexton going through Spring Ball with the team. That's a huge bonus. Of course, Maxwell and Woodberry weren't here for the Spring and they did just fine.

I'm confident they'll find a good one. Sooner or later they'll miss on one of these QB imports. Let's just hope it isn't this year. It would be nice not to go through this yearly. If anything, they are going to have much better QB depth this Fall than in a long time.

Comment

IUP had the luxury of Sexton going through Spring Ball with the team. That's a huge bonus. Of course, Maxwell and Woodberry weren't here for the Spring and they did just fine.

I'm confident they'll find a good one. Sooner or later they'll miss on one of these QB imports. Let's just hope it isn't this year. It would be nice not to go through this yearly. If anything, they are going to have much better QB depth this Fall than in a long time.
                    No behind the scenes talk of some of the recruits having promise that they've had in previous years? Or do you think word is out that you shouldn't go there because you will get recruited over by transfer mercenaries? Marchitelli or Horn don't have any positive reviews through the grapevine?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

No behind the scenes talk of some of the recruits having promise that they've had in previous years? Or do you think word is out that you shouldn't go there because you will get recruited over by transfer mercenaries? Marchitelli or Horn don't have any positive reviews through the grapevine?
                      I'd have to assume opposing coaches spin it hard when they are recruiting the same QBs. It's been a long, long time since a high school-recruited QB started a game for IUP. Even Lenny, technically, was a transfer (although he started 4 years). I take that back. Javon Davis did make two starts although he was just filling in for Harry while he had Covid.

They signed two high school QBs this year. Odds are one of them will be gone after next season.

Horn was a 'program guy' and was never expected to be a starter. He was a serviceable backup but there was never any expectation he'd take over the job. He still left early even after they knew Sexton was leaving so what's that tell you.

Marchitelli is a bit different case. He played his post-grad year at The Kiski School (which is a high-end all boys' school not far from IUP). They play other prep schools (no WPIAL games as they have many post-grad players). He's also from (I think) Colorado, so between Kiski Prep being kind of off the typical radar of PSAC schools (most kids don't go to KP for $55,000/year to attend a state school) and being from out of the area ... he may have kind of fell through a bit. He's a big dude, physically, with a big arm and is mobile.

As somebody else mentioned, the transfer from Mars Hill may be a nice signing. He had some injury issues in high school and fell off the radar a bit. He has a really nice arm and can also really run.

All of that said, the 2023 starter isn't signed yet. They'll find him.

Comment

I'd have to assume opposing coaches spin it hard when they are recruiting the same QBs. It's been a long, long time since a high school-recruited QB started a game for IUP. Even Lenny, technically, was a transfer (although he started 4 years). I take that back. Javon Davis did make two starts although he was just filling in for Harry while he had Covid.

They signed two high school QBs this year. Odds are one of them will be gone after next season.

Horn was a 'program guy' and was never expected to be a starter. He was a serviceable backup but there was never any expectation he'd take over the job. He still left early even after they knew Sexton was leaving so what's that tell you.

Marchitelli is a bit different case. He played his post-grad year at The Kiski School (which is a high-end all boys' school not far from IUP). They play other prep schools (no WPIAL games as they have many post-grad players). He's also from (I think) Colorado, so between Kiski Prep being kind of off the typical radar of PSAC schools (most kids don't go to KP for $55,000/year to attend a state school) and being from out of the area ... he may have kind of fell through a bit. He's a big dude, physically, with a big arm and is mobile.

As somebody else mentioned, the transfer from Mars Hill may be a nice signing. He had some injury issues in high school and fell off the radar a bit. He has a really nice arm and can also really run.

All of that said, the 2023 starter isn't signed yet. They'll find him.
                        Horn might have been a "program guy" but in one of the games he played more than just mop-up duty and he looked pretty darn good. It was also mentioned that he did graduate, so we'll see. Possibly his college football days are over.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                          Mak Sexton has “entered the workforce” per Matt’s article the Gazette. That’s going to dampen expectations around here. I don’t care who they find out there, the reality is having Mak back for a second year would have been better than whatever they find on the scrap heap later this spring.

I know not everyone was fond of Mak because he did have a tendency to throw into coverage, but that kid could make throws that you see at the D1 level. His arm talent was exceptional for DII.
                          His arm talent was undeniable. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do after 2 years in the same system, as that's something he never had.

Comment

• Someone shared the 2024 & 2025 PSAC schedules with me and you all will be happy to know...the streak of IUP having Slippery Rock & Cal back-to-back comes to an end. The best part? It resumes in 2025.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              Someone shared the 2024 & 2025 PSAC schedules with me and you all will be happy to know...the streak of IUP having Slippery Rock & Cal back-to-back comes to an end. The best part? It resumes in 2025.
                              Is it at the front of the season right after the opener with Ashland? That would be a hoot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Is it at the front of the season right after the opener with Ashland? That would be a hoot.
                                I think middle of the season from what I remember.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X